Baby Showers
Options

Did you get a baby shower (2+ kids) when it was your 1st boy or girl?

I know some people who have gotten another shower with a new gender and I know a few who haven't. I think most days most families just give 1 shower for the 1st baby & maybe a 2nd if they haven't had a baby in years or sometimes to celebrate the 1st boy or girl. But sometimes not. Wanted to know what other experiences were with this.

Re: Did you get a baby shower (2+ kids) when it was your 1st boy or girl?

• Options
    For our first we got all gender neutral for the large items. We had a boy. If the next one is a girl, I've already had a friend want to throw a "sprinkle" to so I can get girl clothes. I wouldn't register or anything. I don't see anything wrong with something like that, but everyone is different.
  • Options
    One shower.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a boy and plan to have another child. All the big stuff we have (strollers, car seats, etc) are gender neutral. But I have saved all my son's baby stuff to use for the next child, gender neutral or not. So if my next baby is a girl, she's going to have to be okay with wearing pajamas that are blue or have fire trucks on them. I doubt she will mind. Therefore, you don't get a second shower just because your next baby is a different sex. There's no need.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree! It's def not up to our friends and family to provide for a child we are having BUT if you have friends and family who are thrilled to do so then do then allow them to...
  • Options
    No. In certain circumstances I would be OK with a second shower, but a different set is NOT one of them.

My mom had a second shower for my baby brother who is 18 years younger then me. While that alone is not a reason for a second shower she was also told she would never have children again and it was a miracle she even conceived me. I think it was acceptable for her to have another shower.

But like I said 99 percent of the time no you don't get another shower.
    Supermom to my beautiful boys Troy Marshall and Griffin Xander 

Living the dream with my wonderful man :)
  • Options
    Are you ready for it? I had 2 showers for my second child, who was my first boy. Shocking, I know! It definitely had less to do with the fact that it was my first boy and more to do with the fact that it had been 10 years since my daughter was born, I had an entirely different social set, and the fact that it was my husband's first baby. (I was a young single mom with my first.) We did not register nor did we expect any necessities to be provided for us. I was superstoked for every last toy, blanket and outfit we received, and my husband and I happily bought everything else we wanted for the baby.
  • Options
    To answer the original question, my family and friends only throw a shower for the first baby.  But my church throws a small shower for every single baby.  So I will have a shower for this baby after he/she is born, thrown by the church ladies, just church ladies and my mom in attendance.  
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

One shower.  That's it.  People will buy you gifts for your new baby anyway if they want to. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    IMO a second shower is totally fine if it's been a long time since your first child or even if it's a different sex! It's up to you and your support team...just do what feels right for you! And on that note my child will be 10 years old when my new baby is born. This was an unplanned pregnancy and I am 35...I have nothing for a baby and am planning on having a 2nd shower...

This is terrible advice. OP, no, there should not be a second shower. It is not anyone else's job to provide for your child. People need to get over this sense of entitlement and provide for their own children. Not the government, not the families and friends. Enough is enough.
  • Options
    Darbie914 said:
    Joy2611 said:
    I don't understand why anyone would need a whole second shower if the next child has different genitalia.  Boys.. Girls..  they all use the same stuff.

If someone really blanches at putting a boy in a pink carseat, they should think about how many kids they want and register for gender neutral stuff.  Having a second shower to gather all new stuff in a new color is just ridiculous.  And wasteful.
    All of this.  Children of the opposite sex can still use the same baby gear.  Parents need to plan ahead when purchasing things if they plan to have more than one child.  
    This!!  All of this!!  We will be registering for and buying all gender neutral stuff since we know we are going to want 2 kids. 
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Options
    I give a gift for every baby regardless of birth order.  However, I feel that showers are for first time mothers.  I will decline a shower if I have another child, and I rarely go to second showers.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    Generally sex of the baby does not mean another shower. I have yet to get a good answer about why that is ok.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    One shower. If people want to give you gifts they can. I just don't get the different genitalia excuse...so if the second baby had the same anatomy it wouldn't warrant a party?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    No. No. No. We just had our first...a boy. The next baby I plan on being team green. I will not have another shower and if someone offers to throw me one I will tell them no. I'm keeping all my son's clothes just in case it's a boy. If it's a girl I figure a newborn doesn't need that many clothes so we will just buy some stuff after she is born. My sons car seat is blue and we will use that for either a boy or girl. If people want to give me gifts....great. I figure since we won't know the gender until after people will bring gifts after he/she is born. I don't need a bunch of new stuff just because it's a girl.
  • Options
    MGPMGP member
    edited December 2013
    Cranang said:
    One shower. If people want to give you gifts they can. I just don't get the different genitalia excuse...so if the second baby had the same anatomy it wouldn't warrant a party?

Exactly! This is the worst excuse EVER. I have a family friend who got pregnant with her 2nd when her son was about 2. Her friends offered to throw her a shower and she accepted. When she found out she was having another boy they withdrew the offer, saying "well we just really wanted to throw a frilly pink girl shower. Since you are having another boy we don't want to do it now". Which is INCREDIBLY rude. This is why I am of the "one shower only" opinion. The gender excuse is lame and it's basically saying that someone who conceives the opposite sex is deserving of a shower than someone that didn't. There is no logic there. You get welcomed to motherhood once. Once you deliver that ship has sailed. And yes any parent should family plan accordingly to solely provide for their children ans not shake down their family and friends every time they get knocked up. (Sorry no paragraphs will fix)
  • Options
    I only have one child, but I would decline a second shower if offered. I know they are becoming more and more common, but I am not into it.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    i say celebrate every child!! personally if someone offered to do a second shower for me i would insist on adding "no gifts" and maybe call it a fun themed name. I think its old fashion to think we can not celebrate every pregnancy and child.
  • Options

I only have one child. But, I would refuse a second shower, if offered.

I don't get the whole second shower thing.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    why call is baby shower at all then, but a mother to be shower? if you call it a theme of some sort or just have a cook out, no official invites, celebrating a baby seems pretty normal to me. but just like you have your opinion :) I have mine
  • Options
    I'm pregnant with my 3rd baby and having a shower. I also never had a baby shower before. I think if your having one great if not great! I don't expect people to buy stuff for the baby! I think it's great I have a wonderful set of friends who WANT to do it.

• Options
    This question is asked so much on here that one of these threads should just be pinned. :))
  • Options
    classc1classc1 member
    edited January 2014
    This thread is absolutely hysterical!! So many people- so very opinionated and so sure of their views of absolutely no second shower. I call BS. Not to mention the ridiculous judgmental tone. Personally, Im a FTM and had a large shower and would never want my friends to throw me a second one as at my age, it would be close in time. That being said, I see nothing wrong with a sprinkle for a different sex baby just for clothes and gender specific items or a shower when several years separate the children. The only thing I think is uncalled for are two huge showers close in time but guess what... that's MY opinion and you know what they say about opinions. Quit the self-rightious crap and realize that just because YOU have an opinion does not make it right. Girls, do whatever you like and if your friends and family want to throw you a shower for each kiddo and that's ok with you... so be it!! If someone doesn't agree, they can stay home.
  • Options
    @SmileyGirl18, waving back! I'm mobile...how far along are you with this new little one??
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Please share the title of the book that covers both manners and grammar. Or did you mean to say she should pick up books to cover each topic?
  • Options
    I will not have a shower for any subsequent children. I was lucky enough to be thrown two showers with my first. I have been welcomed to motherhood and am now a mom. It wouldn't make sense for me to be welcomed again.
  • Options
    We were one and done... and I gave away everything last year. Then I got pregnant again unexpectedly. I do not want another shower. I've been picking up practically brand new second hand items here and there. I hate showers to begin with (including my own) - I would not want to inconvenience anyone.

A friend of mine had a diaper shower for her sister's second. It was a nice gesture and simple. But a full blown shower is tacky in my opinion.
  • Options
    Well I guess in a bad person baby #3 is having a kick ass shower.
    Dd1&2 now ds#3
    1st loss 8/31
    2nd pregnancy -TWINS lost DD1 twin at 8 weeks 6 days DD1 born 6 weeks early
    3rd pregnancy- TWINS AGAIN lost both babies at 9 week appt
    4th pregnancy- singleton- born at 38 weeks 1 day with the help of weekly 17P injections
    5th pregnancy- CP in June
    6th pregnancy It's a BOY

• Options
    My sister-in-law had a shower with all three of her kids. The first two were boys and the third was a girl. I remember thinking how tacky it was and kind of saying something about the second one, but my MIL shut me down FAST! In my SIL's defense, she had moved across country when the second was born and had a whole new set of friends that wanted to throw a shower. The shower for her daughter was thrown by family and ok because "this one was a surprise, she got rid of most of her stuff and is a different gender". My take: she and her husband can't afford any of their children but....

I do know people that have had a sprinkle and it seems cute if you keep it small, don't register and baby is a different gender. But I know people on here are very anti second shower for any reason.
    <image>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"