Health & Exercise
Options

Training for a Marathon and BF

Would training for a marathon 6 months after birth affect my breast milk supply?  If I were to follow dr's orders and start back to running gradually, build a base for 6 weeks or so, and then start training for a marathon, would that hinder my breast milk production?  Would a half be less harsh?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image  image
BFP 5/08/13 -- EDD 1/15/14 -- slow hb@7wks d&c 6/07/13
BFP 8/12/13 -- EDD 4/20/14 -- no fetal pole @7wksnatural m/c 9/16/13, cytotec 10/17 & 10/22
BFP 11/26/13 -- EDD 8/07/14 -- Born 7/24/14!

Re: Training for a Marathon and BF

• Options
    So, this is obviously just one woman's story, but its an interesting / informative read: 

• Options
    This is great, thank you.  I've read her blog, and she's bit of a superwoman in my mind.  She ran a marathon like weeks after giving birth once.  She also said she continued 800's during pregnancy.  There is no way I could hang with that :D.  But it does give me hope that I could attempt to train for a marathon 6 months out.

image  image
    BFP 8/12/13 -- EDD 4/20/14 -- no fetal pole @7wksnatural m/c 9/16/13, cytotec 10/17 & 10/22
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You'll be fine with the BFding and marathon training. Is it your first full marathon?
    I had thought I'd be ready to run another full marathon by the time my son was a year old. I'd run 4 before I got pg with him. I ran ally though my pregnancy averaging 35-40 miles/week and started walking at 4 days pp, and running at 10 days pp.
    My hips/pelvis took a long time to feel normal again, and anytime I ran over 9 miles they would ache the entire next day. Rather than trying to rush back into longer runs and racing marathons, I let my body take its time to heal completely so that I could run! I kept running- just took a bit longer than I expected to be able to really get the long runs back up to marathon training distance. I ran a half when he was a year and a full when he was 18 months.
    Not trying to discourage you at all- bit your milk supply will be very well established and you should have no problems maintaining it while you train. Stay hydrated and eat healthy whole foods and enjoy that race!

Mommy to R (8.23.11) and K (6.21.14).

• Options
    ReddvlReddvl member
    edited December 2013

Ha!  I am laughing at the idea of doing 800s during my pregnancy.  Turtle at the track.  Once, way back in the first trimester, I ran by the track and tried to do one quarter as fast as I could and even at my max pace, it was well over 8:00 pace.  

I think that you'll be fine as long as you are flexible.  If it doesn't seem to be working out, give yourself permission to quit (training, or breastfeeding, whichever is more important to you).  Given that your really long runs won't be until the 4th or 5th month after you've been breastfeeding, you'll have a pretty good idea of what you are doing by that point and your body should be accustomed to producing milk.  As always, fuel properly and drink tons of water and you should be okay. 
  • Options
    marathonmom823 Thanks for the advise.  I've run 3 marathons.  I'd train using the FIRST program (works for me), so I'd only run 3 days a week (tempo, speedwork, long run).  I will take your advice and see how my body reacts.  

Reddvl I agree, if my body needs more time to get back into it, I will lay off and go for a smaller goal.  I took all of 2013 off from marathon training because we were TTC and I miss it. 

image  image
  • Options
    As far as milk production and supply is concerned I don't think it should be a problem, but everyone is different.  I ran a half 6 months after my first was born and I dropped a large amount of weight almost to the point that I needed to make sure I remembered to eat because I was so busy with the baby.  So you do have to be diligent in remembering to eat and drink enough and I find that difficult in marathon training so I can only imagine how that would be with marathon training AND bf.  One thing I learned in training during pregnancy and after childbirth is learning to go with the flow.  Have goals but also be flexible with yourself if you need…there are so many unexpected things that happen.  
    All that said…it's totally doable! :) 

• Options
    In my experience, high mileage doesn't affect my supply as long as (1) I mind my hydration and (2) I don't try to combine high mileage with any significant weight loss. And it takes a LOT of calories for me to not lose weight while breastfeeding and pulling high mileage... enough that I have to be very diligent about my eating.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My LO is 10 wks old and I'm EBF and training for a half. I stayed pretty active during my pregnancy. Quit running around 7 months but continued to walk but by the end of my pregnancy gained 45 pounds. 
    I feel like my milk is well enough established but I drink a ton of water all day
    I found that my energy is really suffering- breastfeeding zaps me! and I am SO hungry... way hungrier then I ever was pregnant. I'm still trying to lose 13 remaining pounds but man the days I run I can't eat enough! Pre- baby I run a pretty quick half (sub 8/miles) but I'm so so slow now. I have to remind myself that I just had a baby so its okay if this isn't my fastest race! Its going to take time to get back to full speed and endurance. 
    I think we should all just pat ourselves on the back for lacing up and getting out there and for setting a good example of health and fitness to our families!
    Op good luck on your marathon! I couldnt do that right now!! You go!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"