Attachment Parenting
Options

How to wean from holding for naps

I absolutely adore attachment parenting, and feel free to answer the following question with "suck it up buttercup!"...
A little info and my Q: at night my 7 months adjusted twins and I co-sleep in our family bed. After nursing to sleep I typically wait 20-40 min. then slip out. I have to return for nursing/comforting several times (1-3x per kiddo) before my bedtime. Out of necessity for my sanity several months ago I started doing naps tandem nursing in a rocking chair. They wake if I try to move so I've always looked at it as quiet time for me to sit and relax. They nap together 2-3x/day (early am, 11, 3:30/4ish). It's always been my style to simply go with the flow and follow their cues. However, they're 8 months old now and I wonder if this "Slave to Sleep" thing is going to last forever or if there are any tips to naturally make our lives simpler while still adhering to gentle parenting/night time parenting/ AP principles. ( Please keep the logistics of juggling twins in mind. ) Thank you SO much for reading this far and offering any support or advice!
TTC #1 2+ Years with Unexplained IF
1st & Only BFP: 1st IVF w/ ICSI, 3dt of 2 7-cell, grade 2 embryos on 8/25/12
Beta #1 9/5: 87.2 BFP! - Beta #2 9/7: 248 - 1st US @ 6w3d Two Heartbeats! - MoDi Girls!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: How to wean from holding for naps

• Options
    I should mention I tried wearing for the occasional nap but my back just can't take the tandem that long.
    TTC #1 2+ Years with Unexplained IF
    1st & Only BFP: 1st IVF w/ ICSI, 3dt of 2 7-cell, grade 2 embryos on 8/25/12
    Beta #1 9/5: 87.2 BFP! - Beta #2 9/7: 248 - 1st US @ 6w3d Two Heartbeats! - MoDi Girls!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Have you tried to do the family bed thing for naps like you do in the evenings?  If it's working for you in the evenings it shouldn't take too much to get them to do that during the day.  You may have to go in a few times during the nap time to nurse/cuddle them back to sleep...but that would be a good improvement over being stuck in the chair :-)

As with anything change will likely be met with protest initially so it may take a few tries to get it to work...but it seems like the best next step to me.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I second the suggestion of trying the family bed for naps too! You can stay with them whenever you want or get up and get things done. :)

If they're used to the routine of rocking at naptime, you could rock them until nearly asleep or actually asleep and then transfer them and you to the family bed (maybe put the rocking chair next to the bed?) and nurse them until deeply asleep there.

Super kudos for breastfeeding and bedsharing with your twins!!! :D
    imageimage
  • Options
    No luck so far for me :( DS is 9 months and wont let me leave his sight except for at night..
  • Options
    I'm with you mama! My EBF twins are almost 6 months and I'm currently tandem nursing them through a nap right now! It is super hard, I can't even transfer them off at night anymore, twins are a special situation when ap'ing... I'm following this for suggestions as well
    Good luck and super kudos for the bf!!!
  • Options
    My 27 month old still naps in my arms. I cannot imagine doing that with twins! I think I'd need at least one arm free! Totally for attachment parenting and breastfeeding, and you are rocking it, but you need your sanity too! I agree w bed option. Do they comfort each other when sleeping or irritate and awake?
    January 2007- Stop BCP! Let's DO this!
    June 2010- MFI. BS. IVF! Ectopic. BS. image

November 2010- FAILED FET! BS!
    January 2011- BFP FET! TWINS!
    February 2011- lost twin. BS. image

SEPTEMBER 2011- DD Born! Most awesome girl in the world!

November 2013- FAILED FET! BS! (screw you November FETs)
    April Fresh Cycle, FAILED. Frozen embryos frozen for future FETs.
    FROZEN CYCLE JUNE! BFP
    BABY BOY VINCENT!

We can't wait to meet you!
    Conception:image
    imageimage Potato Love!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Another vote for the family bed option. This is actually how I get my 10 month old down for naps when he's home with me.

• Options
    No advice just wanted to say you rock! I always wonder how BFing and AP style would with with twins!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"