3rd Trimester
Options

How do you ask your male boss

...for time each day to pump breast milk for your newborn child?  Seriously, he is married and in his 50's.  His wife was not able to have children so he is unsure about A LOT when it comes to babies.  He is a real nerd, sort of Mr. Bean - like.  I know that I should just grow up and ask, but it seems so strange to talk to him about it.  I'm sure that I am not the first to feel uncomfortable with how to approach this situation, so give me a little help, please.  TIA
BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How do you ask your male boss

• Options
    I might be wrong and you will need to check your state's employment laws but most employers are required to give you two 15 minute breaks in addition to a 30 minute to 1 hour lunch period.  you can use those breaks to pump.
  • Options
    I believe there are laws that allow you time and a private place to pump.  Your boss should hopefully be aware of these. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctor's office gave me a letter about the benefits to employers for allowing women to bf in the office to submit signed by the health commissioner.
  • Options

where do you work? do you have an office?

I would be upfront and instead of asking, TELL him that you will require a 15 min break every 2-3 hours and you will need a private area set aside for your use. And don't let him make you use the bathroom to pump!

• Options

"brb gotta go milk the gals!"

no jk.  talk to hr.  but also the break thing, that should work too.

• Options
    I live in Missouri, and I don't believe that our state has any laws requiring a break.  It sucks!  I did work for a company at one time that was based in a state that had such laws so they allowed us a break.  Unfortunately, I now work for a hometown operation with no such law/policy.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If you're embarressed to talk to him, talk to a woman in HR and she'll talk to him.. Or you can email him if that makes it easier for you.  He won't mind at all I'm sure.
  • Options
    I would first find out what the laws are if there are any.  Maybe call the local La Leche League.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"