Working Moms
Options

New Job Offer - Not FMLA Eligible

I'm hoping you ladies can offer some insight...
I've been unemployed for 8 months and just started my 2nd trimester, FTM. I was just offered a sales job with a former company/manager (which makes it a little more complicated.) My manager might see me once a month. I'm giving them a good 6 months before I would need short term leave.
Since I won't be eligible for FMLA, at what point do I announce my pregnancy?
I'm all about honesty, but I also know my rights and desperately need the income and insurance!
Thanks!!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: New Job Offer - Not FMLA Eligible

• Options
    If you're not eligible for FMLA what does it matter?  Maybe wait a month?
  • Options

im confused. if you arent fmla eligible doesnt that mean they dont have to give you anything for maternity? maybe im wrong.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I guess I'm confused too. I was just wondering about job security for people that don't fall under FMLA, etc.
  • Options
    In my opinion you should tell them at the time the offer is made FMLA has no impact on the situation.
  • Options
    Maybride2Maybride2 member
    edited December 2013
    Since you won't be eligible for FMLA or STD, you will be at their complete mercy for any sort of leave. If you really want any chance of having them work with you on leave, you'll tell them about your pregnancy when an offer is made and negotiate for a short, unpaid leave. Waiting to tell them until after you start could make them not trust or like you, and they are under no obligation at that point to negotiate squat with you. They will legally be able to fire you when you don't show up for work 3 days after giving birth.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Basically, to answer your question - there is no job security for employees that aren't protected under FMLA or Short Term Disability. And being already 14 weeks pregnant as a new employee, you fall into that category.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would try to negotiate some type of maternity leave before you accept the offer. It might not be paid (or very long), but i'd counter their offer with a request for 4-6 weeks leave. I don't think they can rescind the offer because of your pregnancy, and you'd have a clear understanding of where you stand. They could say no, of course, but at least you'd know. And if they really want you, they'll probably say yes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
  • Options
    Maybride2 said:
    Since you won't be eligible for FMLA or STD, you will be at their complete mercy for any sort of leave. If you really want any chance of having them work with you on leave, you'll tell them about your pregnancy when an offer is made and negotiate for a short, unpaid leave. Waiting to tell them until after you start could make them not trust or like you, and they are under no obligation at that point to negotiate squat with you. They will legally be able to fire you when you don't show up for work 3 days after giving birth.

Exactly this! I think if you are upfront with them when they make the offer, it would do wonders for your long term prospects.

I was offered a new position with the same company when I was 12 weeks pregnant and even though FMLA was not an issue (since I was staying with the same company), I made sure that the hiring manager knew that I would out on maternity leave 6 months into the new position.

• Options
    You may still be eligiblle for FMLA if you are returning to a former company.The 12 months spent working do not have to be consecutive, they just have to be within 7 years. As long as you meet the other requirements, (50+ employees, 1250 hours in the most recent 12 months), you should still be covered.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options

Well I think you need to think long Term. If this is a job you only want to keep till you have the baby, then wait as long as you can before it's obvious. if you want to keep it, I think it is best to bring it up early so you can come up with coverage, work out leave , and not risk coming off as deceitful

I agree with this. What would you like to happen after you have the baby? Negotiate for that. If it's to stay with the company, do as the others suggested and negotiate maternity leave before you accept the offer. I'd ask for at least 8 weeks and know you might get less.
  • Options
    I was in a similar situation not long ago but I was offered the job literally the day I found out I was pregnant. I decided to wait until 2nd tri to tell. I am not eligible for FMLA but my boss was very happy for me and I can still take a leave with her approval, it's just not technically covered by FMLA. Since you are already in the 2nd trimester, though, I would tell.
    DD: 1/8/12
    DS: 3/12/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I accepted a new job (in sales as well) when I was 11 weeks along and waited for offer, negotiations and background check but then told them the first time I spoke with my boss. She was great, although i am not receiving any paid leave I am taking my 8 weeks with no problem. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"