Working Moms
Options

Anyone ever... Maternity leave.

Hello lovely working ladies,

I was just curious, has anyone ever had a boss reject a request for leave beyond the FMLA covered time limit?

Also, if you took more time than is legally covered, did you have your boss sign anything or give you written approval just in case?

Expecting DS 2 in May and working at a new, smaller company (not too small for FMLA). First big company really did not care when I return. My new boss is super nice and flexible, I'm just preparing to ask for 4 months and getting nervous that he may not respond how I hope.

Thank you so much for your input!

Re: Anyone ever... Maternity leave.

• Options
    I never took more than 10 weeks, so I can't speak from experience.  However, as a boss, my answer would be that it depends (although I would be likely to grant the additional leave).  Keep in mind that your position will not be protected for the additional time; your boss simply can't change the law, although it's unlikely that they would try to fire you then.

What's your position?  Are you considered critical?  Will you be available for emergencies?  Will you be leaving during a busy time?  What's your plan for providing coverage and minimizing the impact?

As a boss, I would react much better to a person who came in with a plan and addressed the questions above.  And as an employee I would make *damn* sure to get everything in writing.  

Good luck!
  • Options
    I saw other co-workers fight with HR to take additional leave bc they were on bedrest prior. One co-workers infant son had a heart transplant and needed additional time off to care for him since he was finally granted a heart later in her leave. They denied it at first, but finall agreed after some executives stepped in.

Ask around, but be prepared for them to say no.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I worked at a large corporation for both of my MLs. I just took 12 weeks the first time. The second time I wanted to take 4months. Unfortunately due to budget cuts, they could not guarantee me a job if I took more than Fmla. And if they didn't have a job for me I would not have been eligible for severance or unemployment. So I took 12 weeks and then took 2 weeks vacation time but I was technically "back" from leave. I also had no problem switching to PT 32hrs/ week.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies! I have been really set on 4 months since I took 4.5 with DS and he was a pretty cranky baby so I felt like I really needed that time; however, I'm trying to look on the bright side that if I take a shorter time, I will not be as broke and will accrue more vacation to get to take more time off with my kids.

I think I'm going to schedule the talk with my manager after the holidays when schedules are back to normal. He really is such a nice, family oriented guy. And, though I don't want to say I'm not important, my position (financial analyst) was open from Feb to May until I was hired and others in my department were able to take on the high priority monthly tasks for that time.

• Options
    My work is a strict 12wks only (+6-8wks STD, depending in c/s or vag). If you don't have a medical reason and doctor's note to stay out longer, your job is gone. Side note: If you're on bedrest before, they don't consider that part of your allotted 12w of parental leave at my work.

• Options
    It can't hurt to ask. Worst they can say is no and you are stuck at 12w. I personally would feel bad taking more then 12w since my coworkers have to pick up my clients while I'm gone.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DTNZ4Ever said:

It can't hurt to ask. Worst they can say is no and you are stuck at 12w. I personally would feel bad taking more then 12w since my coworkers have to pick up my clients while I'm gone.

I guess I feel a little bad, but at the same time, having a baby is something you do probably once or twice in your life, why should you feel bad for taking a few months off for such a special circumstance? I mean, I'm not asking for someone to pay me! I don't know, it's especially irritating when you see that In Canada they get a full year - is 4 months really so unreasonable?

It certainly depends on your job, though. For mine, our closing each month is the slightly busier time where there are certain necessary tasks that must be done. So I'm really asking my co-workers to take that burden on for me a total of 4 times for probably the last maternity leave I will ever take.

• Options

For the United States my company's leave policy is very generous. We get 6-8weeks medical at 100% pay based on delivery. This runs consecutive, not concurrently to FMLA so when DD was born I took 8 weeks (C-section) then 4 weeks FMLA and my 4 weeks of vacation. SO I was out 16 weeks and only lost 4weeks of pay.

In reality I could have taken 8 weeks medical, 12 weeks FMLA and my 4 weeks of vacation so a total of 24 weeks and still come back to my job, and not have lost insurance coverage during this time. My company's leave policy also will protect and assure you have a job to come back to at a similar level for an entire year and a job with the company somewhere and at some capacity fir a period of 2yrs (although I haven't seen anyone exercise this option)

I am really hoping to take around 20weeks next time around, but it will depend on $$.

Personally, I would push for what you want. As pp mentioned this is not something you do very many times in your life.

• Options
    I can take 24 weeks total - only 6 or 8 are paid.  I am expecting twins and have already spoke to my boss about taking off 4-5 months, so far she is on board with this.  FMLA only guarantees my job to be secure for 12 weeks, but I am confident that my job is secure.  I am going to take as much time as we can afford.

Ella - 10/19/10
    Julia and Aubrey - 4/3/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"