Two Under 2

Crib or toddler bed?

I have LO #2 due in April. LO #1 will be 17 months old when LO#2 is born. I figure the baby will be sleeping in my room in a bassinet for about 3 months before I move him to his room & crib. Do I buy a second crib for #2 or a toddler bed for #1?
BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Crib or toddler bed?

• My 26 month old still sleeps in his crib. We went ahead and got a second crib on sale this time last year off of Walmart.com and took advantage of the free mattress as well. It seems to have worked out well for us since both boys sleep in cribs in their rooms.

FWIW both boys beds came with the toddler rail, so I can covert each boy over when they are ready, instead of forcing the issue.
    TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • Mine are a little closer in age, so I have a 4-month-old DS and 17-month-old DD. I have two cribs even though DS still sleeps in my room at night. He naps in the nursery (sometimes) and will transition to sleeping in the nursery within the next couple months (hopefully). I have no desire to move DD out of her crib until she can climb out and we have to deal with safety issues. For me, the ease of putting her to bed contained is worth two cribs.
    Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
  • Loading the player...
  • If you oldest sleeps well now, I would do a second crib. The last thing you want is to have your oldest up at night while you are dealing with a newborn.  DD is still in her crib at 26 months but we are about to move her soon because she just started climbing out.  It's been entirely worth it for the last 10 months though and we have the toddler rail too so we may just do that.  Undecided on our plan right now. 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Mine are 14 months apart, currently 18m and 4 mo, and both are doing great in their own cribs.  DD has not tried to climb out of her crib yet and still seems happy with it, so we're not in any hurry to convert to a toddler bed.  I can't imagine doing that until she is at least 2, and possibly even 3 years old.
    10/10: Married; 5/11: Dx: Blocked Fallopian Tube; 7/11: D&C/Hysteroscopy to remove polyp
    IVF #1: 9/11: ER: 12R, 11M, 10F, No Frosties; 5dt: 2 blasts, 1 morula; DD born 6/3/12
    IVF #2: 11/12-12/12: ER: 20R, 20M, 16F, 4 Frosties; 5dt: 3 blasts, DS born 8/9/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You could wait and decide after #2 gets here.  Mine were 15 months apart, and that is what we did.  When #1 was 18 months old, it was clear that he was nowhere near ready to be out of his crib, so we bought another one.  Best decision ever - he was in it until he turned 3.  Then DD#1 was in hers until she was 3yrs 4 months, at which point we converted it to a toddler bed - that is what she is still in.  Having a place to contain the toddler was key for me.  Good luck!
    TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am curious about this too. My DS will be 21.5 months when DS2 is born and I am going back and forth on what to do! He definitely isn't ready for a bed yet at this point. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are planning to have 2 cribs. DD is 21 months and DS is due on Monday! I don't want DD to transition yet because I don't trust her unsupervised. She is a climber but has not climbed out of the crib yet.
  • DD1 slept in a twin bed around 18mo, DD2 had a crib but we converted it around 16mo, neither had anything to do with having a sibling and they do fine with it.  There is no right answer to this one!
    5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

• I'd buy a second crib. DD2 is 28 months and I don't plan on moving her to a toddler bed until spring, shortly before we'll need the crib for baby #3.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"