High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Bedresters with preventative cerclage

I'm wondering how many, if any, of the bed rest ladies had a preventative cerclage (12-14ish weeks). I'm curious what placed you on bed rest, since a preventative cerclage is supposed to have much lower rates of bed rest than an emergency cerclage. I'm not pregnant now, but am TTC and will be high risk due to an incompetent cervix, IUGR, preterm labor, and delivery at 30 weeks last pregnancy. I'm just lurking and have seen some bed resters with cerclages, and I'm trying to plan ahead mentally, as impossible as that is. Thanks for responding!

Re: Bedresters with preventative cerclage

• Options
    Had a preventive at 14wks due to pregnancy loss at 21wks (incompetent cervix) I was placed on bedrest at 21wks due to my cervix slowly shortening. I lasted on bedrest till 34wks. Had cercalge removed at 36wks and elective c/s at 39.2 days with no sign if labor.
  • Options
    So they were still monitoring your cervical length, even with a cerclage? My MFM told me there's no purpose in doing that, since the biweekly cervical length checks are to determine if a cerclage is needed. It sounds like maybe they should still check, considering your positive outcome because of the checks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a preventative cerclage, but no actual bedrest. I've been taking it easy, working from home (since my employer has been great and flexible), and just overall taking it as easily as possible. Our previous loss was at 20 weeks. I am currently 33 weeks (cerclage placed at 13), and have had only 1 cervical length check so far.

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

• Options
    I was getting mine checked bi-wkly and everyone i know with cerclage was also getting it checked. I guess every dr has their own protocol. PP is a good example of that. I personally felt more comfortable getting it checked and knowing my numbers instead of going with the flow. I am a prefectionist like that.. good luck hun. I was also on 17p injections to help prevent preterm labor from 16-36wks. 
  • Options
    I had a preventative cerclage placed at 14w due to prior delivery at 23w.  I am not on bedrest, but supposed to be taking it easy, staying off my feet/keeping my feet up when I can, no heavy lifting, etc.  I have been getting weekly cervical length checks since around 18w I think, and before that it was biweekly after the cerclage was placed.  I alternate each week between the regular OB and my MFM.  Personally I am glad for the regular checkups because it gives me peace of mind that everything is ok.  I was told I would only need to be on strict bedrest if I showed signs of dilating or cervical shortening, which has not happened. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options

I had a preventative cerclage at 14 weeks (had a previous 22 week loss due to IC) and my cervix has never dipped below 4cm so no bed rest for me (I am 27 weeks tomorrow).  I've had cervix checks every two weeks to check the length.  IMO (and my doctor's) cervical checks are still necessary even with a cerclage, since you can have shortening, funneling and PTL despite having the cerclage.

A friend of mine had basically the same scenario as me, got a preventative cerclage at 14 weeks but her cervix still started shortening around 17 weeks.  It basically shortened more and more until about 24 weeks when they admitted her for HBR, a week later her water broke and a week after that her baby was born at 27 weeks.  He did great, was in the NICU for a while and is home now.  However if they didn't do checks, they wouldn't have known she was shortening, and wouldn't have had her in for HBR.  When PTL is a threat and your cervix is as short as hers was (I think around 1.4cm) the hospital is the safest place to be so if you to go into PTL as she did, they can get the baby to the NICU as fast as possible.

I'm not on any restrictions per se except pelvic rest and my doctor said no real strenuous exercise except walking.  About a month ago we went to vegas and did a lot of walking that weekend and my cervix a few days later was down to 4.2 from 5cm....two weeks later after being back to being a couch potato it was back to 5cm.  I know the cervix can flucuate, but I really think it was all the walking that made it shorten that week.  Not saying if I walked everyday it would shorten to a dangerous point, but I do think, even if not on bed rest, it is important to err on the side of caution and take it easy with IC. 

Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"