August 2012 Moms
Options

Non-traditional Christmas dinner?

We are having two other couples (one with a 6-month-old baby) over on Christmas.  All of us have family out of state and decided not to travel on Christmas day.  So the question is, what should we do for dinner?  We hosted Thanksgiving and had all of the traditional stuff.  The options I can come up with for Christmas dinner are the traditional option, some kind of BBQ/grilled stuff (we're in a warm climate so could grill), or homemade pizzas.  Or we could order Chinese and relax :)  What would you do?
BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg

Re: Non-traditional Christmas dinner?

• Options
    Christmas Eve we always have lasagna. It's a nice change.
  • Options
    DH's family does Raclette and I AM SO EXCITED FOR THAT MEAL!
    It's a Swiss thing with cheese and special ovens and it's delicious.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At my FIL's house on Christmas evening, we each bring a pot of soup and a loaf of bread. Soup is easy, can simmer all evening with little attention from you, delicious, warm, and filling!
  • Options

I'd order out and relax! That way no one is stuck in the kitchen all day.

That's what I would do!

#2 BFP 8/23/14, EDD 5/1/15, M/C 9/17/14 - Forever in our hearts <3

• Options
    Ever since I moved to the US, we go out to the one buffet that's open each year, a Shoney's (this is in WV.) It's awful, lol. But husbands family doesn't really cook and while I do, there's always so much running around we never have time for it.

This year, though, I think I'll be making a chicken dinner at my brother/sister in law's house. Since we moved out to Ohio three years ago, we drive down on Christmas day - the aforementioned bil/sil hang out to mid-afternoon, then they trek off to her family's cottage, and we stay at their house for the night and visit WV friends and family. It actually works out awesome. So I'll be breaking the crappy buffet food tradition this year.
  • Options
    I got a free ham- so I'm basing it off that and what the kids eat. So ham, homemade Mac and cheese from scratch and peas. All their favs!
  • Options
    In recent (the past 5) years we've had lasagne and salad with bread. This year we're having Christmas at our house and will have my parents, grandmother, sister and her boyfriend and I'm going to make a big lasagne Christmas eve so I can just pop it in the oven when I want it to bake so I'm not in the kitchen all day. I enjoy the "traditional" turkey, potatoes, stuffing etc...but it's just too close to Christmas to want it again this soon!

BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    We always do a big breakfast Christmas day then do small plates for dinner- appetizers and such. We day drink and munch.

I always felt like we did 2 Thanksgivings. The my first year of college my mom was like let's try this- we've never gone back!
  • Options
    We are staying home this year, I am happy and sad about this fact, but we will see the family on Dec. 27th when we meet in Colorado for a holiday.
    I am planning, but is subject to change:
    Christmas Eve:
    Either Lasagna, or homemade pizzas.  I haven`t decided and have never let the kids make their own. 
    Christmas Day breakfast: we are doing the Lake family traditional breakfast.
    eggs lasagna, fruit platter and bacon
    Supper: is most likely going to be turkey, but with us traveling so soon after and it only being the 7 of us, I can see a lot going to waste.  I might do BBQ steaks, but have the salads and sides with all the fixings of Christmas dinner.
  • Options
    Last year, we went to my parents on Christmas Eve, and DH's family didn't do anything Christmas Day.  So, we got takeout from our favorite sushi place on Christmas day.  It was AWESOME!  So nice and relaxing.
    photo judgejudy.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This year we are having tortiere, last year we has spaghetti (we made the pasta) but I think non traditional is fun! It seems that the tortiere has become a Christmas tradition on either Christmas eve or day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhotobucket
  • Options
    I think Christmas dinner is whatever the host wants it to be. MIL's family does finger foods while FIL's family and my dad do ham, chicken pastry, fried chicken, etc. My grandmother had done everything from traditional to sandwiches to hamburgers and this year salad and baked spaghetti which I'm really looking forward to!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"