One & Done: Only child

? for OADs that live in a rural area

DH and I live in a small but thriving town, but we are moving to a somewhat rural area. The house is by the county line so its in a rural area/neighborhood, but town is literally next door. My question is, how do you interact your only with other kids and develop social skills while living in the country? Do you enroll her in classes? Do they participate in after school activities, sports? Playdates? Thanks!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: ? for OADs that live in a rural area

• Do you stay at home? Maybe see if there is a mom's group in the town nearby. Or maybe try to meet other moms at the library (libraries often have free programs), or sign up for classes to meet other moms there.

I know I'm making it all seem about you, but once you meet moms, hopefully with kids in your kid's age range, then you can make playdates with them and get socialization for your LO (...and you) that way. And they'll know other moms and your circle of friends with kids will grow.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We just kind of don't...

There's a MOPS group but they don't allow men and DH is the one home with LO.

We have coworkers with children the right age but everyone else uses daycare so they want to just be together evenings/weekends, of course. At least this early.

In April, LO will be three and suddenly there will be a bunch of activities he can participate in. And the books say it's not a big deal that he's been pretty isolated until then.
  • Loading the player...
  • Our DD is in preschool for this reason.  She also takes gymanstics once a week in a nearby city, and we go to church so she sees kids there.
  • I'm not a stay at home mom and I worry about socialization often.  Our DD spends 2 days a week at my mother-in-law's where she is the only child.  She spends three days a week at my sister's where she at least has her two cousins to play with.  So she doesn't socialize a lot during the day and most groups meet during the day meaning I can't take her to one.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"