June 2014 Moms
Options

People's surprising reactions (a mini-rant)

So, we're finally telling large groups of people. It is amazing to me how different the reactions can be. 

My young, single male colleague who I don't even know that well (I just started the job recently) squealed like a little girl, hugged me, and asks me about the baby literally every single time he sees me now. Very cute. 

Earlier today, I told a good friend of mine from high school. We're not as close now, but we def. still chat a lot and get along. She was thrilled, congratulated me, asked how it was going. I told her that I felt surprisingly good and all the tests were clear. (I'm 40, so high risk for everything.) She responds, "Yeah, well, that was me too -- until 28 weeks when the wheels fell off. But you'll probably be OK if you have a good doctor."

Gee... thanks, for implying that my decrepit body will barely be able to handle pregnancy but that with excellent medical intervention I might make it. 

I was particularly annoyed esp. since I'm in MUCH better shape than her (she had several health problems going into her pregnancy, I'm like the poster child for good health due to some excellent genes I inherited.)  I realized after the fact that the problem was she is highly competitive and I mentioned how quickly we got pregnant. I think she's pissed since it took her awhile -- although she has a perfectly healthy toddler. I don't know why she'd still be so pissy about it.

I think what I'm saying is that a lot of people really suck donkey butt. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: People's surprising reactions (a mini-rant)

• Options
    I mean... some people are amazingly awesome about it. And those reactions are wonderful and make me so happy and grateful for our awesome friends. 

But other people... I just want to ask them: "Can you hear yourself? Do you have any understanding of what an asshole you sounded like just now?"

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    For the most part I had really awesome reactions from everyone we told, which I was very thankful for.

However when I told my one girlfriend who I thought would be thrilled, all I got was a "congrats", she didn't ask me a single question aside from if we'd find out the gender. Then proceeded to talk all about when she has a baby, & that they were going to start trying in 2 weeks. It really hurt my feelings, and I still have no idea where the friendship will go from here.

Sorry you had a crummy reaction. You nailed it when you said your friend was competitive, it's also probably jealously too. When baby comes you won't have time for that nonsense. Enjoy the positive reactions, as for the ones who are sourpusses try to ignore them :-) Its a new life coming into the world, anyone who is anything but happy for you needs an attitude adjustment.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

TDBabyM said:
    For the most part I had really awesome reactions from everyone we told, which I was very thankful for.

However when I told my one girlfriend who I thought would be thrilled, all I got was a "congrats", she didn't ask me a single question aside from if we'd find out the gender. Then proceeded to talk all about when she has a baby, & that they were going to start trying in 2 weeks. It really hurt my feelings, and I still have no idea where the friendship will go from here.

Sorry you had a crummy reaction. You nailed it when you said your friend was competitive, it's also probably jealously too. When baby comes you won't have time for that nonsense. Enjoy the positive reactions, as for the ones who are sourpusses try to ignore them :-) Its a new life coming into the world, anyone who is anything but happy for you needs an attitude adjustment.
    I too had a longtime friend with a similar reaction. She only said congrats and followed up immediately with reminding me about her big news (old news) from the past 3 months. Sadly it wasn't surprising from her, but very disappointing. She always thinks its always all about her and clearly has some competitive issues, but how hard is it to be happy for a "friend?" Everyone else asked how I was feeling at least. Anyway.....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"