June 2014 Moms
Options

NT Scan Question - I don't think this one has been out there yet.

Question -

I had my NT Scan next week (except, my Dr's office calls it a sequential scan, I am not sure if that makes some real tangible difference).

They did the US and took a blood sample, and from what I understand they coordinate the results from the two to come up with one 'result' on your risk factors, if any.

It came back looking normal (yay) but then the nurse told me that it's really a 2-part test, that I will go back and give blood in January and after THOSE results, the testing is complete.

I haven't heard any of you ladies mention a second set of blood tests... Is this a different test than ya'll are taking (I just ya'll'ed.  I never ya'll!) or is this normal practice for anyone else?

Just for shits and giggles, if anyone else has any questions, I don't see the harm in adding them to this thread as well :)

image        image

Re: NT Scan Question - I don't think this one has been out there yet.

• Options
    In CA this is called an integrated screening.  I think it's called quad-screening some places too.  Between 15 and (I think) 17ish weeks, you go back for the second blood draw and it goes into whatever formula is being calculated.  I am not an expert, but that is what I have semi-pieced together.  I'll go in for my second blood draw on Friday.  Also, we elected to do the Panorama testing because I liked the idea of knowing with 99% certainty.  Though the doctor at the imaging place said something about the NT/Integrated screening blood draws can pick up stuff that the Panorama test cannot (maybe because of this second blood draw?). 
  • Options
    Yes, I need to go back for a second blood draw, too.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yep, this is the same set of tests I'm doing as well.  (one blood draw, NT test, later blood draw).  My impression is that if things look good after the NT scan, you're doing pretty good.  The last blood draw refines the probabilities for Downs Syndrome and Trisomy 18 (just a little), and then tests for 3 other things which are pretty unlikely.  (One is neural tube stuff, which is pretty darn unlikely if you've been taking a prenatal vitamin).
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

OK, so this is normal then... I feel better.  I didn't even bother to google because, well, google is the devil.

@mullenem - thank you for sharing that info!

CharSamm said:
    My midwife said that the first one is pretty accurate, but that when you go for the second one they do put the results together and can give a more definite answer.

I was kind of wondering this :)

image        image

• Options

I went for my NT scan a few weeks ago but the baby wouldn't face the correct way so it was a bust. They offered for me to come back & try again (I declined) and offered that I could do the additional blood screening in 2nd tri (quad screening).

That must have been frustrating!

image        image

• Options
    I'm having this done too.  Thanks for asking the question, though b/c I was a little confused.  I was feeling good after our NT scan but started worrying recently that something might come up with the next draw. 

TTC #1 4/09-3/10, dx PCOS, 5th round clomid BFP 3/27/10, Nolan Lee, 11/13/10, PROM 36 weeks
    TTC #2 6/12-3/13, natural BFP 3/24/13, TWINS
    MC first twin at 11weeks, MC/preterm labor second twin, DD at 15weeks, 6/7/13
    BFP 9/21/13, EDD 6/5/13!!  It's a GIRL

SHE'S HERE!  Scarlett Christine, 5/19/14

• Options
    I just got a call today after the results if the part two blood work came in. The nurse told me that the AFP screen was negative, then told me my more refined chances for downs, Spina bifida, and trisomy 18. They'll send the complete results to my OB to discuss at my next visit. I didn't realize if hear from them ahead if time, so it was nice and reassuring!
    DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto others. I have my "quad screening" at 16 week appt and that will finish up the sequential screening (NT scan).

• Options
    My NT Scan was two parts as well. I just had the second part today. All looked good in the ultrasound and we were told were having a girl :-)  I should have the blood results within the week! Crossing fingers all is good. The round 1 went great so I'm hoping for "no news is good news." 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    XoXo, Dee
  • Options
    That's how my test was done as well -- and I had the same question. Basically, depending what lab/test they use, they can only give you the risk number for Downs and Trisomy 18 with the first round of blood work. With the second draw, they can give you the number for Trisomy 13. 

However, my doc said if you're at higher risk for T13, they'll usually have an indicator at the first round because the markers are similar for T13 and T18. 

So if your first round of results are clear, you have a very good chance of the second round being clear as well. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yes to what everyone said! Exactly what I had done with my first and will do this time around too.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I had myNT scan last week.
    The scan itself was the US and a finger prick. I had the option of other testing.

We ended up doing the Materni21 blood work. Tests for Trisomy 13,18 and 21.
    Also did chromosome testing on me, fragil x blood work and SMA ( spinal muscular atrophy.
    These were all extra testing we decided to do mainly since we are older.
    I was not told I had to go back and all the tests came back today normal except SMA is still pending.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"