Babies on the Brain
Options

Induction question

Hopefully I don't end up even needing to know the answer to this, but how do they break your water if you're not dilating? I'm assuming they need to basically force their way past your cervix and um.....ow?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Induction question

• Options
    They use what looks like a giant crochet hook, fortunatley my water broke on it's own after the induced me.
  • Options
    I need to read better...  they will probably use something along the lines of cervadil (sp) to help you dilate.  Then you get the hook.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagetook79:
    They use what looks like a giant crochet hook, fortunatley my water broke on it's own after the induced me.

I know they use the hook thingy, I'm just wondering how they get in there if you're not dilating at all. I'm just envisioning going beyond my due date and not dilating. I'm probably panicking for nothing and will end up having her this weekend or something.

• Options
    I re read your question after i replied, the champagne is making me a little slow tonight. Embarrassed
  • Options

imagetook79:

Just the idea of that makes me lightheaded.

:staggers out of post:

photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I'm jealous - drink some champagne for me!

• Options
    imageWriterChick24:

I'm jealous - drink some champagne for me!

I will! Big Smile

• Options
    They did this to my Mom when she was having me.  She said it was the most bizarre thing she's ever felt, but never said anything about it hurting.  Probably more of a pressure/uncomfortable feeling.  But she also had no pain killers during labor and says it didn't hurt at all.  So she might have a high tolerance or just really, really lucky!
  • Options

Truth is they probably wouldn't break your water if you weren't dilated at all, as in 0.  They would try cervadil or pitocin first to try and get your cervix "favorable" for induction.  If needed, they have surgical instruments called dilators, that are basically a set of long metal sticks in varying sizes, that they stick in your cervix to make it open up.  They start with the smallest dilator first and poke it in and out, exchanging for a slightly bigger size with each pass.  Once you were dilated far enough they would use the hook thing to break your water.

I used to work at an OB/GYN office and had to assist with D&Cs and this is how the doctors would get the cervix dilated.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    They shouldn't induce/break your water you if you aren't dilating. That's a fast track to a c-section. They should prep your cervix with Cervadil (I think the name of it is) or if you are slightly dilated they can get a balloon type thing in there and inflate it to stretch your cervix.
  • Options
    Yikes, I so don't want any of that! Please come on your own baby girl!
  • Options

Have they done an internal and nothing so far?

Did they tell you your station or effacement? 

• Options
    I wouldn't worry to much Writer, even if you don't go into labor persay, most pregnant women at term have a favorable cervix (starting to dilate/efface) and thus respond very well to just meds like cervadil ( a vag supp ) and/or pitocin ( given via IV drip ) if an induction is needed. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageidkmybffk8:

Have they done an internal and nothing so far?

Did they tell you your station or effacement? 

My last internal was a little over a week ago, at that point there was no dilation but I was told my cervix was thinning - they didn't give me a percentage though. The baby dropped 3 weeks ago and is insanely low. I've had two doctors,a midwife, and an ultrasound tech all shocked by how low she is. Her whole head is basically stuffed in the birth canal. I don't see how she can ram against my cervix THIS hard THIS often and the damn thing WON'T OPEN! It's glued shut or something.

Oh well, DH wants to watch the Cotton Bowl on Friday and doesn't want her to come til after that. I guess he wins :)

• Options
    A lot can happen in a week. I dilated 2 cm in 3 days after sitting at 1 cm for a couple weeks. And if your cervix is thinning out, that's a good sign!
  • Options
    Thanks K8 :) I know I'm not even late yet but I'm getting very impatient. I really want to hold my baby!
  • Options
    I can understand that! GL and I hope she comes soon!
  • Options
    GL! Hope you dilate easily and that you're worrying for no reason. :P
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh wow, you're almost there! Good luck to you!
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Options
    I was induced with my DS and they broke my water. I received cervidil the night before, contracted all night, and if I dilated to 1 cm I would be shocked. They started the pitocin at 8:15am and broke my water at 8:35am. It did hurt. I think the doc had thing over his finger with a hook on it and broke my water with it. As one of the pp said, I did end up with a c-section BUT only because his noggin was too big and he was killing my bladder.
  • Options
    I will also add that not only was I not dilated before going in he had not dropped and was at -2 i think so I probably would have delivered well past 40 weeks had I not been induced but I had GD and delivered during my 39th week. They were worried he would be 10 lbs. He was not.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"