Preemies
Options

Neosure / formula question

My DD was born Feb 14th at 34wks. I have always pumped everything she has drank with the exception of getting human milk fortifier mixed in with breastmilk while in the NICU and Neosure mixed in for about a week when she came home. For various reasons I am no longer able to keep up and have been dipping pretty heavily into my freezer supply. I have decided that it is time to add in formula to supplement and make my freezer stash last longer. I will keep my current pumping schedule to provide as much as I can. My question is: I have some neosure from that first week , the date says its good for another year but it has been opened. Should I use it? Should I even be using Neosure since she is now 10 months old? I am ignorant about formula....do babies generally drink about the same amount as breastmilk/ does it have a similar amount of calories?
I am upset about having to supplement but I want to her to have enough to eat and I'm going to keep giving as much breastmilk as I can.
Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: Neosure / formula question

• Options
    I wouldn't use neosure at this point to supplement, but maybe talk to her pedi.  I just know that Neosure is hard on their little tummies and if she hasn't had it all these months I wouldn't start now for fear of making her really uncomfortable. I'd transition to an easier formula like Enfamil Gentlease or Nestle Good Start.   Start by mixing like 1/4 formula 3/4 BM and slowly increase the ratio.

• Options
    Oh man!!!! Kudos to you for making it 10 months.

No, I would not use the neosure if its been open for 10 months. It's just not worth the risk to me. Throw that puppy away and call your pedi to see what formula they recommend in your case.

As far as supplementing goes, I assume you are warming up your bm from the freezer. I found that my LO didn't like the formula warmed up. I supplemented like you're talking about and after awhile he would refuse the bottles that had formula mixed in, that were warmed up. So after he was used to the taste of formula, I would do one feeding as bm, the next formula. Instead of mixing them. Also, keep in mind that formula is only good for an hour once mixed so you might be throwing out bm when it would last longer if it were not mixed. It was hard for me to dump it!!!! LOL. All that hard work down the drain, literally. :-)

We use Neosure and my guy loves it. I guess we lucked out on the tummy issues. I have def heard stories about them though.

Good luck!!!!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #1 EDD 1/20/13, D&C for unexplained miscarriage at 12w
    Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't use formula that old. You are supposed to dispose of it one month after it's been opened. She probably doesn't need a high-cal formula at 10 months old, especially if you haven't been fortifying for this long, but you can check with your pedi.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    Thanks ladies! I called the pedi and they suggested start with Similac for Supplementation. We started it yesterday an...so far so good.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"