Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

joovy caboose? double Maclaren umbrella?

I'm piggybacking a bit on the poster below, who's asking about strollers for a toddler-infant sibling set.  In our case, our daughter will be just 2 when the new baby is born.  We have an Uppababy Vista, and I can buy the rumble seat for her, but we were thinking we also needed something more lightweight for the two of them.  The two best options, as far as I can tell, are the Joovy Caboose Ultralight (with or without the extra available full seat) which is about 21 lbs or a double umbrella stroller like the Maclaren Triumph or Techno, which weigh in the mid-20s.

I think we're leaning toward the Joovy, but I'd love to hear about anyone's experiences either way.  If it matters, my daughter almost never sleeps in her stroller (or car seat), so although I'd happily spring for the extra full seat on the Joovy, my guess is that as she gets bigger, she won't want it at all and would be happy with a bench seat or space to stand.  Frankly, even though the Maclaren is pretty lightweight, it just strikes me as difficult to navigate because it's side-by-side.

Thoughts?

Re: joovy caboose? double Maclaren umbrella?

• Options
    Joovy was a fail for us.  The older one hated it.  I know it looks bulky but I swear the lightest/easiest one is the City Mini Double.  I love that thing so much!

• Options

Joovy was a fail for us.  The older one hated it.  I know it looks bulky but I swear the lightest/easiest one is the City Mini Double.  I love that thing so much!

If you don't need a compact fold I'd skip the Maclaren double. There is no weight advantage. I have the Valco Snap Dual & love it. It's only 22 lbs and very easy to use with a great basket. I believe the City Mini is In the mid 20 weight range as well. Look at those 2 strollers. They both are easier to use than the Maclaren double.

There is no way my 2 year old could use the back of a sit n stand. He'd be gone in a flash. The Valco has childproof buckles which is nice, since my little man knows how to get himself out of our single stroller.
    TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had the joovy ultralight and thought it was great. Easy to open and close.
  • Options
    I agree that I think it's unlikely that a 2 year old will sit easily on a sit n stand.  I like having my 2 year old strapped in and unable to escape.  One time she turned the lights off in a public bathroom while I was changing a poopy diaper and it was not fun.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options
    I have the Joovy caboose ultralight too (the one with the extra seat) and I love it. I have a 22 month old so the extra seat was a must. I got mine on zulily for $199. You could also try buy buy baby with a 20% off coupon.

After 2+ years and multiple treatment cycles,
    including an IVF vacation in Costa Rica/Panama,
    IVF #2 brought us our miracle baby!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise!  Baby Boy is on the way!

• Options
    FmrAFBrat said:

If you don't need a compact fold I'd skip the Maclaren double. There is no weight advantage. I have the Valco Snap Dual & love it. It's only 22 lbs and very easy to use with a great basket. I believe the City Mini is In the mid 20 weight range as well. Look at those 2 strollers. They both are easier to use than the Maclaren double.

There is no way my 2 year old could use the back of a sit n stand. He'd be gone in a flash. The Valco has childproof buckles which is nice, since my little man knows how to get himself out of our single stroller.
    Totally agree with this. I had a city mini double and needed something with a smaller fold due to car issues and got a maclaren double. It's fine, it folds small but I much prefer the city mini - it actually folds faster, and the kids can't reach the wheels from the seats. It also pushes slightly more easily (although the maclaren isn't bad)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"