Pre-School and Daycare

How much time does your pre-schooler use the LeapPad or similar?

Just curious how much time your pre-schooler spends using a LeapPad/Kindle/iPad etc..... ?

My DS1 who is almost 4 is in pre school from 7:30am-5pm M-F, there is no screen time other than about 20 minutes a couple days a week when they have computer class. So when he comes home he's allowed to watch some tv (lately we've been watching the Christmas specials) or use my iphone or his LeapPad which both have educational 'games' on them before bed. (bedtime is 8pm)  With all the reports out there about too much 'screen time' I worry but at the same time, I feel like the things we download to the devices are educational so I'm torn.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: How much time does your pre-schooler use the LeapPad or similar?

• My DD is 4.5 years old. She watches 1-2 30ish minute shows per day. She doesn't play on my phone or with her VTech Innotab every single day but she's usually on them for less than an hour at a time for various reasons - it's time to leave the house or eat a meal, her sisters have woken up in the morning or from nap and she wants to play with them, etc
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Both of my kids love the iPad and would probably play with it all the time if we let them! We do limit their time on there because we feel that interaction and hands-on learning and playing is alsmo  important. I don't really quantify the time, but I'd say it's probably maybe 30 minutes per day for each kid. We do watch TV as a family sometimes, like cooking shows or cartoons. 

I'm a big fan of technology, and I think sometimes it gets an undeserved bad rap. I feel like I'm judged sometimes if I give my kids my phone to play with in a restaurant. DD told me the other day all about how houses are made, and I wondered where she learned that b/c we didn't tell her. I realized it was from an e-book. So, there are definitely positives and practical uses. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DD probably does 30 min a day of 'screen time'.  Typically it's to watch home movies I have taken of her and her brother on my phone, but sometimes it's the LeapPad.  We haven't really started TV yet on a regular basis. 
  • Way TOO much this past week. For Hanukkah my parents got her a kindle fire. It conveniently coincided with her twisting/pulling a muscle in her leg/spraining something---she was walking with a limp for a week straight. She JUST started to run again. Because of that, I was trying to confine her to the couch/quiet activities as much as possible.

3 days a week she is at the baby-sitters--so she doesn't get much screen time there. 
    My daughter is my hero.
  • I think that screen time is screen time, educational or not.  My kids watch very little t.v. (many days it doesn't get turned on) because they'd rather be playing on the tablet or xbox.  We limit it to 2 hours max/day though most days it's less than that broken up in to 1/2 hour increments here and there.  I don't think screen time is bad I just try to follow the recommendations as much as I can.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"