Pregnant after 35
Options

Age gap?

2»

Re: Age gap?

• Options
    My kids are SUPER spread out.  Oldest boys are 23 and 18. My DD is 10, I have a 16 mo old and im 14 weeks along with #5.  The 'starting over' feeling is the hardest. But it's nice to have helping hands. My daughter absolutely adores the baby and still is so active in helping out.  I was prepared for the novelty to wear off and for her to get bored of him, but still hasn't happened.  I am more nervous about this new baby, since I've never had 2 under 2... yikes! But I'm game.  
    BTW, the first question everyone asks when they learn my kids' ages is if it's a 2nd (or 3rd) marriage... nope my DH and I are just nuts! :)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Your oldest will be so helpful! If all goes well this year ds will be 4 to 4.5 yrs older than #2. We are going to do the wait and see approach for a hopeful #3.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My daughter will be 11, almost 12 when our LO is born! (My son will be almost 14!). Needless to say, LO was quite the surprise.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Are your kids excited? I'm pretty sure ours won't be. We're putting off telling them!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Are your kids excited? I'm pretty sure ours won't be. We're putting off telling them!

Mine are super ecstatic. Especially my "baby ". She is five and says she's going to take care of everything, even nighttime feedings lol.

For what it's worth, my 16 year old who is headed to college in the fall is thrilled and even chose to stay in state after we shared our news.

We also have a 7, 12 and 14 year old. All happy. I hope yours are too.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My srep kids are 18 & 13..it's basically.like this LO is an.only child as all.his sibs will effectively be grown ups.
  • Options
    We are afraid to tell ours too! My 23 year old was just telling us that it's kind of embarrassing that we have a 1 year old, lol!    :/  I hate to see what he'll say about this new baby! Yikes!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We are afraid to tell ours too! My 23 year old was just telling us that it's kind of embarrassing that we have a 1 year old, lol!    :/  I hate to see what he'll say about this new baby! Yikes!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My boys will be 8 and 10 when this LO is born.

DS #1  1/10/2004

DS #2  2/1/2006

EDD #3  10/5/2014

BabyFruit Ticker 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My step children will be 32, 31, 28 and 19 when this little peanut is born. The 28 year old will have a 1 year old son. She is very excited that our children will grow up together! The oldest two are pleased for us and their dad especially as they remember how much he loved being their dad. The youngest doesn't know yet. She has been away at Uni and very focused on her life (as would be expected)

I'm a little bit worried about her reaction. She has always been the baby and I've been in her life since she was four. In the past she had been very vocal about not wanting a little sibling (although she was much younger then and it could have just been teen embarrassment at the idea)

*fingers crossed*

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Not my kids, but my sister and i are 6 years apart and we have been the best of friends all our lives, even when I was like 14 and she was 8... I laugh every time i hear people freak out that they must have kids super close in age 1-2 yrs apart, to make sure they are friends etc... So silly. Age has nothing to do with it. It is all in personality and disposition. And if anything, bigger age gap will ensure that there is no jealousy and competition. I just had this convi with DH how i don't remember ever being jealous or resentful of my sis bc I was bigger and self assured by the time she was born...

I wish I could have my kids at least 4 yrs apart but as is, I am already considered 'elderly' by my doc (yes really!!) and I don't need any more worry and stress about complications so our kids will be just under 3 yrs apart.
  • Options
    DS1 is 4 now, he'll be almost 5 if we concieve this month or 5 if we don't. I also have a stepson who is 18 years older than my son. My son loves his older brother even though he's been in college most of his life so far! lol he's local so they have been able to build an amazing relationship
  • Options
    carin04carin04 member
    My DD will be 10 when this little one is born.
  • Options
    I have a huge age gap, my daughter is 21 and we are expecting our second we didn't plan it that way, but hey I'll take it!   Enjoy it, love is love and sometimes the older kid may try to parent as well!

JenBon727 said:
    Just wondering If there are any mommies here with a large age gap between kids. My DS will be 8 when DD arrives. The gap bothered me at first. The more I've thought about it though, the more I like it. Just wondering of anyone is in a similar boat...

• Options

nikkiuk said:
    I think there are some huge advantages to a bigger age gap. My 20 year old daughter and 15 year old son did bicker and fuss when they were small but she is great with him now, spoils him, advises him and he looks up to her. Not that he would ever admit that!
    @nikkiuk   Do you anticipate any issues with the 20 year old and a new baby.  My daughter is 21 and is very excited but I want them to share some closeness.... I was actually thinking my daughter might develop jealousy.
  • Options
    nikkiuknikkiuk member
    @iheartscraps No, not in a million years - that's just not the way she is. I think because she is fiercely independent and is 21 going on 41 herself!  

However, there may be a little jealousy at first with my 16 year old son who is a self-confessed Mummy's boy - he was my baby. Even if he does get a little jealous, I don't think it will last long. He will want to be involved with the baby (we know it's a boy) and I think he will actively enjoy being the big brother. My DD is at university so my DS will be the 'main' older sibling and I think he will love it.
    Master of 'the look' 
  • Options
    I have two boys who will be ages 9 and 11 when baby is born! A couple of years ago it bothered me when thinking about it. However today I could imagine it any other way! My boys are over the moon excited too!
  • Options
    This is a very reassuring post! Thank you to all!
    This LO is a surprise, so my DD will be 9 at birth & my DS 6.
    I was also wondering: how in the world will that work?
    My 1st 2 are best friends & play together non stop.
    This post had definitely soothed some fears. Thanks.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My son was almost 6 when his sister was born and the age gap worked very well for us. He is extremely helpful and was pretty-self-sufficient, which made the first few months easier.

He'll be 9 when our third is born. I am more worried about the 3.5 year age gap that I will have between the third and my daughter. She is very spoiled and likes to be the "baby." 
  • Options
    My two boys will be 7 and 10 when #3 arrives.
  • Options
    I am FTM, but I was 16 and my sister 12 when baby brother was born. It was great, my mom had help, my brother got away with nothing.... and has turned out to be the best of the bunch, least troublesome :-) Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    mandyreadsmandyreads member
    edited May 2014
    I have a daughter who will be 14 when the baby arrives...another who will be 12 and one more that will be 7.
    There is a 10 yr gap between my oldest sister and me and my twin brother ( the babies of the family )
    So nervous about 14 age gap.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • Options
    When baby number two arrives DS will be 5 1/2
    Baby #1 MC November 2007
    Baby #2 MC June 2008
    Baby #3 Born April 2009
    Baby #4 due date February 2015

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    My oldest DS is 19, next is my DD who's 16, next is my DD who is 8.....this one is a welcomed suprise and due Dec. 15th
  • Options
    My babies will be very close in age (20 months apart)  but I am 11 years older than my brother and 17 years older than my sister!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Options

I worried about the age gap, too - DS turned 8 a few days after DD was born - but there are pros and cons to all age gaps. Big pro here is that they are old enough to understand that babies take a lot of time and energy, and the few times he's been frustrated at limitations having a baby may impose (the whole family going to see Captain America on opening weekend, for example) he has never once gotten upset at or resented the baby. He is absolutely in love with his little sister - this is a pic of them tonight. And she is madly in love with him. They have a really tight bond already - we're thinking of adding a third (why I'm checking out this board!) so I'm not quite sure how that will change the whole dynamic. But that 8 year age gap offers a lot of positives!

Mom to DS - 9/24/2005 Ectopic Pregnancy - 5/7/2012 Miscarriage - 12/13/2012. Mom to DD - 9/13/2013
  • Options
    My twins will be 23 1/2 years old when the baby is born! Ooops!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"