Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Sleep and teething

Hey ya'll
My 7 month old recently started flipping to her stomach in the middle of the night to sleep. With everything ive been taught about SIDS it scares me to think that something could ever happen to her. Has anyone else ever had this happen? and what did you do? Also she finally got her first tooth, but teething has begun to cut into her nap time and night time sleep. She was started on a sleep schedule when she was very young and has stuck to it up until now. Anyone out there that can help? Thank you for your time!

Re: Sleep and teething

• I was scared too, but nothing you can do. It's much more comfortable to sleep on your stomach, no? Try to relax. In a healthy baby, they will adjust their heads if they can't breathe
  • yeah, my son's been sleeping on his stomach since about 4/5 months. don't do anything. can't help re: teething, my son is doing a lot of it but it hasn't impacted his sleep.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DD has slept on her stomach since about 4 months.  She can be completely asleep in my arms and as soon as I put her down on her back she flips over.  She's more comfy on her stomach or side.  Just keep everything out of the crib and you should be fine.  If they're able to flip over they're usually able to move their head to breathe better.

As for teething, all I can offer is good luck.  We have had a steady stream of teething since 4 months and some nights are good while others are bad.  Keep either some gel or teething tablets on a shelf in LOs room so you have them ready if you need them.  And it's ok to use tylenol for the pain if nothing else is helping.

• Same here, DS sleeps on his tummy (with bum in the air). Pedi said as soon as he can roll and do that on his own, to just leave him be. He moves his head side to side and sleeps better this way. I wouldn't worry about it (easier said than done, I know I checked on my LO ALOT when he first did that!) 

Good luck! 

• The risk significantly goes down, when they are able to get themselves in that position. It's not like you are putting her in that position so I would try not to worry. I know it's hard I literally didn't sleep for weeks when my first dd started doing this. I watched the monitor like a mad women. Now with dd2 I didn't even stress about because I know that for her to be able to get onto her tummy, she is strong enough to safely sleep in that position.
  • Mine goes into that position immediately. Once she started doing it on her own I didn't bother trying to move her. She started a little bit after she learned to roll. They only worry that you lay them down like that when they can't roll over because they are unable to adjust themselves.
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My son has been a tummy sleeper since 4 months old. I always put him on his back and within seconds he is on his tummy. I used to be so scared like so many other people but once they can roll over there isn't anything we can do. He is 6 months old and still prefers to be on his tummy to sleep.

My LO started teething 2 months ago. His front 2 bottom teeth are about half way up and I can tell you that his sleep and eating patterns seem to vary lately. One day he seems really hungry and sucks down his bottles, then next day he will stop with or 2 ounces left He has always been a short napper but since the teeth were visible his naps change every couple days. He will take a long nap one day (1-1.5 hrs) then the next it's back to 45 mins top. I just go with the flow and know that things will get back to normal once the teething is over. Good luck!

• Thank you everyone for all of the kind words and advice. I apologize that its taken me so long to reply, things have been a little hectic the past couple days. Hope everyone has a nice holiday! im beginning to get used to the fact that my LO is now a tummy sleeper now haha although i do check on her at least a dozen times before i finally go to sleep myself.
  • What you can do also is get a baby monitor with a movement/breathing detector. 

My LO likes to put her hands under her head for support while she's on her belly.

This is how she sleeps:
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • oh my goodness she is just too cute! i wish you all the best with her!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"