January 2014 Moms

swelling question

When did swelling start for you? I haven't had any swelling up until a few days ago and since then my hands and feet get so swollen and dont go down. My fingers and toes hurt to bend. Did it come pretty quickly or more slowly?
I know that each person experiences things different but I have a small fear that it has to do with my blood pressure. Lately the passed few days my head pounds at night and I have been getting stars in my vision. My blood pressure usually runs low at my last appointment itwas 127 over 94 I told the nurse that that was on the higher side for me but she dismissed it. I also mentioned the stars in my vision and hmy OB told me it was low bloodsugar. I am 36 weeks this week, at last appointment both baby and I were measuring 2 weeks ahead. I have an OB appointment first thing tomorrow morning.

Re: swelling question

• I'd call your doctor just to be safe.

But feet swelling is normal. A little swelling in hands is fine, but extreme swelling in hands can be a big concern, especially if accompanied by other symptoms.  Can you see your knuckles still? Is your face (around your eyes/bridge of your nose) swelling?
    photo e2fe0839-b11a-41d8-8a07-1ef481a55d67_zpsda9c0f6f.jpg photo 777c55cb-e377-4070-950b-fdeda172a809_zpscd40251a.jpg IMG_15901 photo IMG_15901.jpg
  • Swelling started after bloating, so around 12-13 weeks. It's all in my ankles, though a few times it's been my legs as well.

I would also call if it came on fast and is painful.
    ********************************************************************************************************

DS1 born 11/3/06   *   DS2 born 3/29/08   *   DD born 3/15/11  

Scarlett Mae born 1/14/14                         Our family is now complete!

• Loading the player...
  • I can see my knuckles still and my face doesnt seem to have any swelling at all it's mainly in my hands and feet and worse at night.
  • With the headaches and visual disturbances, that's a little concerning to me. My OB said if I experience any visual disturbances to call right away. 

Is your swelling pitting?

My swelling started at about 25 weeks. It goes through spurts where it's really bad and other times, I don't really notice it. But it's more so in my feet than my hands.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP #1 8/1/11, MMC 10/5/11, D&C 11/1/11
     BFP #2 5/28/13, EDD 1/17/14. Elliott - 12/31/13
  • With my first pregnancy, I'd say it came on more gradual.  With this one, it WAS coming on gradually, but all of a sudden at around 32 weeks or so it just exploded on me. Not as much in my legs like with DS, but moreso in my forearms & hands, and some in my face. (My nose is NOT normally this big!)  My right hand is terrible with Carpal Tunnel lately, causing me to have tons of trouble sleeping. I occasionally feel it in my feet enough where I want to get my feet up, but I guess it seems every other discomfort is overshadowing the swellign these days.

FWIW - I have never had a abnormal blood pressure reading, even with the sudden onset for me this time around. I also accasionally see those light flashers in my eyes like they say to watch out for that might indicate BP issues.  If anything, my OB thinks I probably have some dips of low pressure in the mornings, but that is normal I'm told. (Which explains the weaker, more dizzy & seeing the flashers in the mornings)

My 2 December boys

• FTM here but the swelling started for me with the tops of my feet at like 26-28 weeks and it was totally due to way too much salt and not enough water.  Now my feet are pretty much swollen all the time and the swelling is rising up my ankles and calves.  I haven't had time to really put my feet up...um hello I only have 5 weeks to get my shit together. 

But I haven't had any headaches or vision issues.  I would definitely mention those issues RIGHT away to your doctor and if they flake on that I would ask for a protein dip to be sure you aren't having pre-e symptoms! Take care!
    TI w/Clomid 12/16, 1/17, 2/17
    OB ordered SA 2/17 and referred to RE for MFI - Low Count/Motility
    DH Varicocele repair 6/17. 
    9/17 SA: count improved
    TI w/Letrozole 9/17, 10/17
    IUI#1 11/17 BFN
    IUI#2 Christmas day :'( Canceled due to low count/poor sample  :'(
    IVF#1 w/ICSI: 3/18 BCP, Lupron down reg, Follistim 300IU, LDHCG 10units, Lupron 5units, Ovidrel trigger on 3/18. ER 3/21
    8 retrieved, 5 mature, 3 smaller no fertilization w/IVF. 3/5 fertilized w/ICSI. Day 5 Fresh transfer scheduled 3/26 or day3 on Saturday if any arrest.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My finger swelling is starting to be reallly painful at times, but I've got carpal tunnel so it's the only place I'm swelling.  I know it's rooted in my shoulders and wrists --when I can stretch those and get H to rub my shoulders a bit, I feel the swelling go down.  That said--- if it's coming on that fast and painful...definitely ask about it when you go in.
    CafeMom Tickers
  • With my 3 previous pregnancies I started to swell at 33 weeks. It started in my feet and went into my legs/calves. Later in my pregnancies (37ish weeks) my BP would go high and my face would swell.

This time, I am gluten free and I haven't gotten swollen yet @ 34 wks (other than the day last week that I ate a food with gluten in it).
    _____________________________________________________________________________

SAHM to 4 kiddos... K (5/05), N (4/09), C (11/10) and Baby A 1/13/14

• @WinsyWade --is that the only thing in your diet that has changed? Though-- I supposed G-free means a LOT of things that were probably in your diet aren't anymore.  I'm fascinated how simple changes to diet/lifestyle can honestly make the world of difference in so many ways! [exceptions happen obv].
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Sudden swelling, new severe headache, a diastolic BP if 90+ and visual disturbances can be serious. I would go to L&D with these symptoms. Preeclampsia can escalate very quickly and isn't something you should wait for your next appointment to discuss. If your doctor isn't taking it seriously I would ask why. These are warning sides usually monitored very aggressively.

That aside, swelling started early for me and now I'm a walking balloon. I haven't seen my ankles in at least two months.
  • Your story sounds very similar to me.  Noticeable swelling started at 35 weeks for me.  However, I did take my wedding ring off about 2 weeks before that.  My feet and ankles are huge!  My doctor said limit salt (Thanksgiving didn't help with that!) and drink lots of water.  I saw stars in my vision once.  However, my blood pressure is fine.  My ankles and feet were alot better this weekend when I was able to sit more.  However, today they are more swollen.  I can't sit much while teaching Kindergarteners!
  • ashleywiz said:
    @WinsyWade --is that the only thing in your diet that has changed? Though-- I supposed G-free means a LOT of things that were probably in your diet aren't anymore.  I'm fascinated how simple changes to diet/lifestyle can honestly make the world of difference in so many ways! [exceptions happen obv].
    @ashleywiz- Yes, I have only cut out gluten containing foods.  When I ate oatmeal a week ago (can be cross-contaminated) my feet swelled up really badly!  So I know, for me, there's something to it. 

My Bradley instructor told me to cut out sugar with my last pregnancy at 33 weeks due to swelling and it did not help.  I started showing signs of pre-e at 37 weeks (DS2 came at 37+3).
    _____________________________________________________________________________

SAHM to 4 kiddos... K (5/05), N (4/09), C (11/10) and Baby A 1/13/14

• I have just started to swell. At about 6 or 7pm, my feet swell rapidly. Followed by my lower legs. The skin gets really stretched looking and very red. Everyone at work finds it very entertaining. It's gone by the morning though, so midwife is not worried.
  • @winsywade -- WOW, that is remarkable. I feel like if I could go to school all over again I'd be a food scientist, or a nutritionist or something because I freaking love that kind of thing. It's so interesting to me--- especially because even within gluten allergies-- there are SO many different factors and every single person responds differently... it just trips my trigger of interest every time.
    CafeMom Tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"