School-Aged Children

Random question - toys

.I'm home today because of snow, and I've already graded essays and made Christmas cookies.  I'm doing a little Christmas shopping online and it got me thinking:

What is the toy that most annoys you if your child receives it as a gift?

For me, it's those books where every page is a jigsaw puzzle.  We had one friend who insisted on giving my DD one of these for every birthday and Christmas through the preschool years.  She would dump all the pieces onto the floor, not be able to figure out which piece went on which page, then give up and move on to something else.  Don't get me wrong: I love books and I love jigsaw puzzles, but the two together are an unholy union.
High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade

Re: Random question - toys

• Anything bigger than a toaster, unless you consult me first. We live in a very small home and I plan these things carefully. My MIL lives out of state but (unfortunately) gets free shipping since her husband is a pilot. So every year we get at least 3 ginormous boxes full of crap. Last year there was a huge collection of pillow pets, pillow books, and a sleeping bag. He already has a good quality sleeping bag, and all that stuff just takes up space on his bed and in his closet. Also, she got him a rug for his room (already has one) and a piggy bank (already has about 3).  90% of her gifts go to goodwill.
  • Anything noisy that needs batteries.  My girls play with them for one day and lose interest.  Then they just take up space.  I donate some of them, but some of them are so annoying that I can't in good conscience pass them on to someone else.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"