June 2012 Moms

LO not listening

I know he is only 18 months old
I know that
but how in the hell do you guys deal with your lo's not listening
I literally explain not to do something over and over and he just laughs!
I try not to be constantly restricting him but idk what to do
help!
Me: 29 | SO: 28
Started Dating SO: 9/26/2009
DS Born: 6/02/2012
Tied the Knot: 11/14/2015
Trying for Number Two since 9/1/15
BFP!!! Baby 2 Due: 12/6/21

Re: LO not listening

• I think that's the nature of the beast right now.

I will tell him over and over and over (ond over!) Not to do something and he'll keep trying it. At that point, we go somewhere else so he's not tempted anymore.

I deal with it by trying not to have unrealistic expectations for him. I truly think they just can't help themselves sometimes. If we're in that kind of situation, the easiest answer is to get rid of whatever he's trying to do for a while.

That's my strategy anyway! We're not into time outs or anything like that so others might have other suggestions!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It depends on what he is doing. If he's not listening when I ask him to put the sippy on the table I pick it up and say Mama pick up the cup and put it on the table. Then I go about congratulating myself in a showy way. If he's hitting or screaming I make him sit on my lap and pin him and "timeout" and talk and explain until he stops fighting. If he's repeatedly doing something dangerous that redirection and timeouts haven't solved then he has gotten a spanking.

You can't make them listen at this point. It's just all about reinforcement until they finally get it. Don't give up and be patient.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am so glad to read this! We're going through the same type of thing, so I guess it's just the age they're at! We do time out also, which sometimes seems to work and sometimes doesn't. I have to say though, when he laughs at me it just makes my blood boil!!!! I can't stand it!!! I guess it's a good lesson in patience for me :)

I like what you guys said about modeling when it's just about the right way to do something - I just assume he understands me at this point, but maybe he doesn't, or maybe he just needs to see the positive reinforcement.

Glad it's not just my little stinker though! :)

• This is 100% normal for a toddler.  These are the strategies I use with both DD and DS:

Pay attention to positive behavior.  Spend quality time together every day giving LO all your attention. 
    Recognize when your LO is getting too tired, hungry, or bored, and address that issue before it turns into naughty behavior. 
    Establish routines so LO knows what to expect.
    Arrange your home to be child-friendly, so that LO can help, reach her own toys, and communicate her needs. 
    Be consistent.  If a behavior is against the rules (hitting, biting, throwing toys, climbing furniture) then correct the behavior 100% of the time. 
    Remove temptations, hazards, etc.   
    Remember that each age has its own challenges and rewards.

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • all of these are great. i guess i just need to keep explaining/rewarding. sure does test my patience at times though!
    Me: 29 | SO: 28
    Started Dating SO: 9/26/2009
    DS Born: 6/02/2012
    Tied the Knot: 11/14/2015
    Trying for Number Two since 9/1/15
    BFP!!! Baby 2 Due: 12/6/21
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"