March 2012 Moms

Damned but it's cold in Texas

22 degrees feels like 13.. no kiddin!! 

Hope everyone is staying warm wherever you are .. and the kids aren't going stir crazy.  It's so Icy here  it's not safe to go out even if we bundled up warm :/
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Damned but it's cold in Texas

• time to break out the super sxy woolie underwear huh

stay safe  :)
  • yeah we have a lot of drafts in this apt too.. I have a pillow case stuffed with old sheets as a draft excluder across my door and a big old fleece blanket hanging over the door  and all of the windows have old quilts thrown over the top of the curtain rods ... whatever works lol. The wooden floor is so damned cold I dug out all of his old foam jigsaw squares and put them down to insulate some floor space for him to play on.

• Loading the player...
  • It's 13 in my part of TX right now!  Crazy!  I think if it's going to be this cold it should at least snow!

• It's 18 here now. Little cold for this time of year but not "cold" for my area. Come January we'll have a number of negative temps. 30 will be considered warm. Yesterday was cold. We went to my parents house. They live in an old farmhouse in exchange for fixing it up (my dad is a carpenter). Warmer this year than last but they still need a lot of insulation and storm windows. Even with plastic over the windows, the wind just blows through the house.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Excited30 said:
    Wipz said:
    yeah we have a lot of drafts in this apt too.. I have a pillow case stuffed with old sheets as a draft excluder across my door and a big old fleece blanket hanging over the door  and all of the windows have old quilts thrown over the top of the curtain rods ... whatever works lol. The wooden floor is so damned cold I dug out all of his old foam jigsaw squares and put them down to insulate some floor space for him to play on.

I just might have to try a quilt hanging over Dd's curtain rod.  May I ask what you use to keep it up?  Does your son yank it down?  I can only imagine my daughter doing that..lol
    I just hang it over the rail and  he hasn't pulled on it at all, but we have baby gates fixed across the windows because our windows are all low profile and we live upstairs.  Remember the super baby jail we had and I said when he outgrew the need for a play yard I'd re purpose them .. well that is what I did.
    The two gates are across the master bathroom and our bedroom door and the other panels are across two of the  windows.. the other  really big window recessed window is blocked by his giant toy box.

The fleece over the door is just tacked in to the top of the door frame with small nails..and if you need to you could probably do the same with a quilt over the windows.. last year I had a fleece nailed over the big window recess.. small nails won't leave much of a mark and are easy to take down later.

A bit ghetto... but the price you pay for an old apartment with virtually no insulation, unfortunately they didn't think to upgrade the insulation when they re roofed the whole complex last year  :(
  • It's 18 here now. Little cold for this time of year but not "cold" for my area. Come January we'll have a number of negative temps. 30 will be considered warm. Yesterday was cold. We went to my parents house. They live in an old farmhouse in exchange for fixing it up (my dad is a carpenter). Warmer this year than last but they still need a lot of insulation and storm windows. Even with plastic over the windows, the wind just blows through the house.
    I grew up on farms.. I remember the drafty cold old nights well.. but  I also remember the big roaring fires, handmade blankets and all the fun stuff that comes with it... 
  • Excited, have you already tried the shrink wrap window stuff? This stuff.

TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• My parents use the shrink film, I've used it in old houses/apartments that had horrible windows. I like how well it works plus you can still see outside, get the heat from the sun, etc. Worth the cost imo. The shrinking of it seems to be important to helping more than just taping plastic up.

Mom does have one window where they are now that the double stick tape wouldn't hold. The window is just so bad and it right where the wind comes in across the field. But the rest of the windows it is doing well.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"