February 2014 Moms
Options

Shaving (and the bikini area)

I have discovered a leg shaving secret! I have to sit down to shave my legs now, but now I've finally figured out that I can turn the spray to massager and aim it at my back/neck at the same time. :) this only works if my boyfriend is around to help me back up though.

My real point however, is anyone starting to feel self conscious at the idea of all these people seeing your vagina? And about the sort of grooming you do? I'm picturing my 2 midwives, the student midwife, and my mom all being there, seeing it for hours. Especially as I'm planning a water birth, and they said most women just go through the whole process nude. It worries me. And will they (my mom) be judging my full Brazilian? Should I go to something a little more... Conservative?

Or am I the only one overthinking this whole nudie vagina thing?
F14 Siggy Challenge

Re: Shaving (and the bikini area)

• Options
    Rosie137Rosie137 member
    edited December 2013
    No, I felt the same way, I didnt want to be all bare. Its makes me feel so much more exposed. I had two scheduled inductions for being overdue, I shaved it like a week or two before? Then kinda cleaned up the sides a couple days before.

Eta: and I am totally starting to feel self conscious about everyone seeing me push out another baby. I know it'll only be DH and my mom, and they've seen it before, but I still feel weird and anxious about it. I'm hoping when the moment comes I wont care as much.
  • Options

I just kept my area trimmed and neat... no one cares about that during birth. I promise....

Just worry about if you poop or not while pushing... hehe ;)

#rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I always used to shave almost the whole shebang, but over the last two months, my visual access to that area has dwindled to the point where I don't give a crap anymore. I'm totally au naturel down there for the first time since I was 14! It's actually kind of fun, because it's different. It makes me feel like a rebellious hippie, and I'm enjoying it. I thought DH would be all "whaaat?" but he seems to like a switch-up too, apparently, lol! 

I think I'll tidy it up a tad before birth, just so I at least feel a tiny bit groomed or whatever... in the meantime, no razor burn, no stubble, and after years of shaving and waxing, my pubes are actually kind of soft! Who'da thought. 

I'd say go with your instinct and have your vag just the way you like it! Either way, it's the baby's escape hatch, and the amazing things it does during birth make my "to shave or not to shave?" ponderings seem less significant, haha
  • Options
    This is honestly one of the least of my worries. When I delivered our stillborn, DH stayed at my head the whole time (and I'd imagine he will this time too-it's just how he is!) and the only other ones in there will be the doctor and nurses. I am normally fairly groomed, but not so much this time (of course, it's the first time making it past 20 weeks, too). I'm just not worried. Healthcare professionals have all 'been there, seen that' before.

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

• Options
    It doesn't bother me.  I'm sure they've seen worse.  I try to neaten it up but even with my minuscule baby bump, I can't really see down there and am sure I'm really butchering things.
  • Options
    utpony said:

I started to feel self conscious at my last cervix check. I guess my doc could tell and she actually said "I've seen hairer, and older, so you have nothing to worry about". That made me feel tons better. I think I'm more self conscious about my dinner plate sized nipples at this point, and there isn't a fix for that.

Unrelated to OP, but @utpony, if you ever find a fix for the nipple issue, would ya mind letting me know?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

EDD 10.26.15

Garrett Samuel 1.30.14
    Vanessa Ruby 2.21.13
    Joseph Michael (born into Heaven) 6.17.10
    Rae Patricia 4.14.07

• Options

I have discovered a leg shaving secret! I have to sit down to shave my legs now, but now I've finally figured out that I can turn the spray to massager and aim it at my back/neck at the same time. :) this only works if my boyfriend is around to help me back up though.

My real point however, is anyone starting to feel self conscious at the idea of all these people seeing your vagina? And about the sort of grooming you do? I'm picturing my 2 midwives, the student midwife, and my mom all being there, seeing it for hours. Especially as I'm planning a water birth, and they said most women just go through the whole process nude. It worries me. And will they (my mom) be judging my full Brazilian? Should I go to something a little more... Conservative?

Or am I the only one overthinking this whole nudie vagina thing?

So... OP, I totally get where you're coming from. But now that I've done this whole shebang a time or two before, I can tell you pp are correct in that (especially in the grand birthing moment) No. One. Cares. Not you, and most certainly not anyone else. And yes, even the Pope could cruise in for a gander at your hoo-ha as you're mid-push, and you won't GAF.

Again... I get it. Prior to my first delivery, I worried about this. At that time I had never gone to a male OBGYN specifically because I was too embarrassed. I didn't care how many they'd seen in their days... I was super self-conscious about it. So then while pg the first time, I was worried about who would be there when I delivered... how would I let them know I didn't want any boyz in there? (It sounds so dumb now, but it's how I felt.) Welp, most deliveries don't go completely to plan, and my first was no exception. My water broke at 33 weeks and baby girl decided to crash the shower being thrown for her. And my lovely (female) MFM was out of town for the weekend. So... I had an amazing (male) MFM. Once I was in labor, though, I never gave it another thought. (Okay, I maybe gave it a half-thought as I apologized to the nurses who checked my cervix early on for being a bit hairy since I hadn't done my pre-delivery waxing yet and I'd let it get a bit overgrown... not thinking I'd deliver so early, of course. They told me not to worry. And I'm sure were laughing at me as well.)

So, I made it through that vaginal delivery in full view of my husband, mom, male doctor, and other random males as there were a ton more people in there since she was a preemie and going to the NICU and such. I went on to have two more vag deliveries with two more male doctors. Again, when you are giving birth it just totally doesn't matter. It isn't just that you're in so much pain or are so focused on other things like pushing or contractions, though that is part of it. It is also that there is a baby coming out!! So... it's sort of hard to describe till you do it, but basically... that's what everyone (including you if there's a mirror) is looking at... the baby, not the surrounding escape hatch. Trust me on this one. In those moments, it ceases to be *your vagina* and instead is the baby's escape tunnel/hatch.

I still much prefer to be waxed/smooth, but that's my personal preference all the time. So do what makes you most comfortable the rest of the time and know that during delivery, it is highly unlikely anyone will notice because your little dumpling will be stealing the show! :-)

EDD 10.26.15

Garrett Samuel 1.30.14
    Vanessa Ruby 2.21.13
    Rae Patricia 4.14.07

• Options
    @kalimom2be any tips on DIY? It's so hard to see down there now!

EDD 10.26.15

Garrett Samuel 1.30.14
    Vanessa Ruby 2.21.13
    Rae Patricia 4.14.07

• Options
    ahare2009ahare2009 member
    edited December 2013
    I feel bad for my DH, I hate shaving and my legs are rather hairy.  Pregnant or not he has to deal with it.  Do you remember begging your mom to let you shave your legs...wth were we thinking?  I will probably try to shave right before LO comes, but give me 8 more weeks and we'll see if that happens. 

eta:  I do have a male doctor, probably in his late 50s.  I'm sure he has seen it all, so I'm not too worried.
    imageimage

• Options
    dunvilles said:

I just kept my area trimmed and neat... no one cares about that during birth. I promise....

Just worry about if you poop or not while pushing... hehe ;)

My worst fear!!

OP, I'm planning on having DH trim down there so it is very short - it's what I feel most comfortable with when I consider other people staring at my lady for long amounts of time. Do whatever feels best!

image            image

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I thought this post was going to be about how difficult it is to keep the "garden" trimmed while pregnant. Lol I always go completely bare, and haven't been able to see that area enough to do anything so it gotta a lil wild. Well last night I didn't my best, and will be keeping it as bare as possible till delivery. I feel less self conscious about being bare then being hairy.
    This!  A mirror helps.  :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I can barely shave my legs at this point and have been "guessing" where there might be hair down there. I'm definitely trying the mirror!!!
    September 2014 Siggy Challenge: Goats

• Options
    I've been Brazilian waxing regularly for 11 years so a lot of hair down there doesn't even grow anymore. (stick with it ladies, it's worth it)

I got a Brazilian right before delivery with each of my boys and will do so again with this one.  It's not that it made a huge difference during delivery, but it was nice to feel well groomed.

• Options
    Up until I hit 20 weeks, I was getting sugared (like waxing only without the hot wax) every 4-5 weeks. Had been for years. Was put on bed rest and pelvic rest and had to cancel my next sugaring appointment. After the docs rescinded bed rest, I was going to make another appointment, and then hub pointed out that if I had been doing it for myself, by all means keep it up, but if I had been doing it for him, might as well skip appointments until we can actually have sex again.

We do have a little peanut (tiny body hair trimmer) that I've wanted to use just to keep my pubes short, but at this point I can't even see my crotch anymore. Hub assures me it's still there. (; I'm not really worried about The View during pregnancy - my midwife has been delivering babies for 30 years and has seen it all already. I will be excited to get sugared again though if the docs rescind pelvic rest toward the end of my pregnancy, otherwise I'll just sport the hair until I'm healed enough after birth.
  • Options
    potbellypigpotbellypig member
    edited December 2013

I always have Brazilians and let me give you my experience...

I was way too cheap/lazy to get it done near the end last pregnancy, so I had enough hair down there (thing 4 months worth) and I was SO glad I did. Not because I was embarrassed about being bare or anything, but because I think the chaffing from the pads I had to wear for weeks would have been terrible if I was bare down there. The hair definitely protected my skin and made the pad more comfortable. I didn't find the hair was messy with the pads either, so don't let that be a huge concern.

It was a painful PITA to get it removed a few months later but I couldn't have handled vaginal chaffing with all of the other post-labour discomforts!

• Options
    I realize the whole escape hatch thing is necessary, but I really wouldn't object if I woke up one morning to find LO had been left in a bassinet by the stork.
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options

I was way too cheap/lazy to get it done near the end last pregnancy, so I had enough hair down there (thing 4 months worth) and I was SO glad I did. Not because I was embarrassed about being bare or anything, but because I think the chaffing from the pads I had to wear for weeks would have been terrible if I was bare down there. The hair definitely protected my skin and made the pad more comfortable. I didn't find the hair was messy with the pads either, so don't let that be a huge concern.

It was a painful PITA to get it removed a few months later but I couldn't have handled vaginal chaffing with all of the other post-labour discomforts!

I had to wear pads for several weeks after delivery as well, and I did not experience any chafing despite being bare.

• Options
    Soap1 said:

I had to wear pads for several weeks after delivery as well, and I did not experience any chafing despite being bare.

Good to know! I had nothing to compare it to but I assumed it would be bad!

This time around I *am* keeping it clean, so we'll see what it's like in comparison!

• Options

@gfam23 I recommend a big mirror and taking your time. Haha. good luck, it was pretty damn difficult but I felt soooo much better after.

I use the Inution razor that has the built in soap/ shaving cream bar attached. I don't need to see to shave :)
  • Options
    Just for another perspective, as a STM I was hoping I wouldn't care during delivery.  I still did and I felt self-conscious about it while pushing.  So, just in case you might be one of those people who still cares, do what you need to do to keep yourself comfortable.  I actually felt self conscious even while I was laboring so I asked for 2 gowns and kept them both tied so I could make sure not to show anyone anything I didn't want them to see.  I've always been weird about nakedness.

I am even more self-conscious this time because I have hemorrhoids.  They showed up after labor with DS1 and they are back with a vengeance this time.  I was hoping they would be smaller by delivery time but they seem to be multiplying.
  • Options
    An aside, but related. Used some kind of Nairobi down there because I can't see without a mirror and am doing my best to stay groomed. Thought it might be better than shaving because of the crazy razor burn situation I've had going on...so epic fail. Bad, bad idea. Got some of the cream on my undercarriage, and ladies it wasn't pretty. Not that I could see it, but in all seriousness any other part of my body would have gotten a band aid. Thanks for letting me over share.
  • Options
    I've waxed throughout the entire pregnancy. I'm planning on getting waxed really close to my deliver date. Hair down there is super uncomfortable to me. I figure I will be mostly bare through the worst part of the soreness and stitches from possible tearing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"