1st Trimester
Options

Not eating enough fruit and veg - Anyone else struggling?

alisonmoosealisonmoose member
edited December 2013 in 1st Trimester
I'm really struggling to have my 5 fruit and veg a day. I've been eating those bags of sliced apples, but only 1 or 2 a day and that's a struggle. I can't find any fruit I like, and the only veg I like is potatos and carrots.

I had an eating disorder for over 10 years, and it's only in the last 2 or 3 years that i've been eating "normal" meals. I was one of those "freaky eaters" who would only eat bread because I was so scared of being sick that I stuck to my safe food.

I still have alot of bread although i've switched to brown whole grain, I have 1 main meal a day, which can  consist of chips, fish or chicken in breadcrumbs, Pastas, mixed frozen veg (not all at the same time).

I'm not due to have my first midwife visit until 19th December so I can't share my concerns with her.

I'm just so worried baby will not grow properly because of my eating problems.

Is anyone else not eating the recommended 5 portions of fruit and veg a day?

Thank you
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Not eating enough fruit and veg - Anyone else struggling?

• Options
    many many people don't eat well and continue that diet through pregnancy,, I'm mean think about it,,, this is America. I am sure your attempts to eat well are helpful and that as long as you're not drinking smoking or taking unnecessary meds, the you are doing well for your baby! as the weight gains though, I'd be open with your midwife about all this bc it is very hard to eat well if you feel sick, and might end up feeling guilty if all you want is Mac & cheese then gain needed weight, but don't yet look pregnant-/ can be hard on the mind.
    if I want to get in nutrients, I juice a bunch of vegetables and im good! try that or a smoothie!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    The baby will grow fine, as it gets nutrients first from your body. I wasn't able to eat fruits and vegetables until recently and LO is just fine. Morning sickness was a huge factor for me. But now that it's easing up I can focus on eating better

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not a veggie eater regularly and pregnancy didn't change that for me (I do like most fruit, just not veggies).  Make sure you're taking your prenatals to get the nutrients you need.  I do try to use the veggie pasta now instead of regular and slip in spinach to cheesy dishes.  I figure that's better than nothing.

Also, just because you haven't had your first appointment yet doesn't mean you can't call with any concerns or questions.  If this is something you are truly worried about, call your midwife and speak to her over the phone about your options.
  • Options
    Good for you for trying! I am great with fruit but still struggle with the veggies. It's ok as long as you get your nutrients from somewhere Nd discuss this with your midwife and she will have helpful tips
  • Options
    Thank you xx

As soon as I found out I was pregnant I started taking Folic Acid and I spoke to my doctor who just told me to eat healthy, which is hard but I'm trying, and i'm drinking Pineapple juice.

I was also worried because i'm on 20mg Citalopram for anxiety, the Doctor said ideally I wouldn't be on it but we thought it was in my best interests to stay on it to help with my anxiety.

This is all completely new to me and I just feel awful right now because I feel if theres something wrong with baby then it's my fault for not eating properly.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    With my MS I'm definitely not eating healthy. I'm eating whatever sounds good or I can keep down...pizza, fries, etc lol I know its not healthy, but its better than not eating at all cause I'm too sick. 10w4d and I'm finally starting to be able to eat more of a variety
    BabyFruit Ticker

June '14 February Siggy Challenge
    Picture of DH and I on top of Mayan ruins, Altun Ha, in Belize

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I try and drink the naked juices since there are so many fruits or veggies in those.
  • Options

It's very hit or miss for me. I have no interest in fruit at all and veggies I can only tolerate some days.

I've been drinking a lot of V8 (any of the green juices would do the job too, I'm sure.) It's not quite as good as having a cup of broccoli, but it's low-calorie, has some fiber and has a lot of vitamins and minerals, so it's definitely better than nothing.

But honestly, if you're taking your prenatal, that's probably good enough and I wouldn't worry about it. We'd kill ourselves trying to do the ideal thing all the time for nine straight months.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    First trimester diets are so often just things you can manage to keep down or don't sound repulsive. It's basically survival! I'm just now able to start eating veggies again because they were the nastiest food I was able to think of until 16 weeks. I'm 27 weeks now so it took awhile. I'm sure your diet will improve a little later, when you feel good and your appetite goes crazy (trust me- that actually does happen, I'm like a bottomless pit!) then you should be just fine. I try to eat healthy foods now and cut out a lot of what i was eating earlier on. Take your prenatals and relax!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've always been a Subway junkie, but have cut out the deli meats since finding out and have been getting veggie subs w/ cheese. Don't even miss the turkey or ham and I ask them to load it with veggies - everything but pickles. I must be the only pregnant woman that doesn't like pickles. lol

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I had an eating disorder for 12 years so I understand your concern. Do you continue to see a dietitian? Don't freak about eating enough fruit or vegetables... just make sure you are eating enough and taking your vitamins... If you feel like you are regressing get into a support group right away. 

Our Miracles: BFP- May 14, 2015... diagnosed with SCH. Collapsed Sac- May 29, 2015. Determined to be failed twin tetraploidy pregnancy.
    "Never in my arms, Always in my heart"

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree with Luna C and LiebeMama, V8 juice (mine has to be COLD) or anything like that (Naked, Odwalla...) might help you get a little boost.  :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I also often drink the Naked or Bolthouse veggie and juice drinks to get in my servings for the day.  The green ones are packed with both and are delicious, too! :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"