Working Moms
Options

Maiden name on resume?

Do you include your maiden name on your resume? Some of the jobs listed on mine I held under my maiden name. But, I don't necessarily want to broadcast on my resume that I'm married (or do I?). What do you all do? Pros and cons of putting First Name Last Name (Maiden Name) at the top of the resume?

Re: Maiden name on resume?

• Options
    My maiden name is my middle name, so I included it on my resume that way. 
    When I first got married, people wouldn't know who I was if I only included my married name.  Now, it isn't as big of a deal, but I keep it on there. 
  • Options
    No, I really don't think it's necessary, if you no longer use it. If they are going to do a background check, they will ask you if there are other names you have gone by in the past.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just use my legal name, which is my married name.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options
    Pips09 said:
    No, I really don't think it's necessary, if you no longer use it. If they are going to do a background check, they will ask you if there are other names you have gone by in the past.
    This. Also, employers are beginning to 'google' applicants prior to interviews. The more info you give them the easier it is. This info can be used to search spouses, relatives,etc... Nowadays with social media you need to be careful. Less info is better. Of course, my former employer was also a sleez.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

This is one reason I insisted on hyphenating my name legally. At work I go only by my maiden name. I work for a large company and had worked at multiple sites and built up an extensive network prior to getting married. They wouldn't know who I was if they saw my married name on a resume,  or other communication.

My DH's family was a royal pain on the name issue, especially my SIL who got married at 21 prior to starting her working career. she couldn't understand that I had 10 years of work experience and networking under my maiden name and how that could be negatively impacted by changing my name.  I originally didn't want to change my name at all, primarily for work/career reasons, but DH just wouldn't budge on it so I compromised and agreed to hyphenate.

In the end I think it worked out for the best, because now with DD I don't have issues due to our last names being totally different since her last name is part of mine.

• Options
    I think you should always include your maiden name.  You never know if someone you knew before you were married works at the company or sees your resume.  They may recognize you under your maiden name but not your married.  Any possible advantage is helpful in this day in age. 

• Options

Yes, I use mine on my resume (and it is my offical middle name, too). But, mainly, I have it there because I have done freelancec writing for over 10 yrs - longer than I've been married.

What's the worry with potential employers knowing that you're married?

• Options
    I did: First Name (Maiden Name) Last name. It actually helped me get my job because people I knew there remembered me by my maiden name.

It could also be opposite - first, divorced last name, maiden name. 
  • Options
    I don't, because its not my legal name anymore. I am not in a field where prior publications are an issue. And my first name is pretty uncommon. My experience is listed on my résumé, so even if someone who knew me prior to being married saw it and recognized the prior job, I assume they'd see my first name and figure it out.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    alli2672 said:
    My maiden name is my middle name, so I included it on my resume that way. 
    When I first got married, people wouldn't know who I was if I only included my married name.  Now, it isn't as big of a deal, but I keep it on there. 

This.

When I got married I dropped my middle name and my maiden name is now my middle name. So I use both. I believe on most background checks they ask for "any other names you may have used" HTH!

• Options
    I'm in a government position, so there is an official job application to fill out along with the resume and it asks for maiden and any other prior legal name.
  • Options
    Thanks all. There are good reasons to include it like everyone mentioned above. The reason I wouldn't want to broadcast that I'm married is because I work in a very male dominated field and am in prime reproductive age and don't want to be written off due to the possibility of having kids and becoming a sahm. I am done having kids so this won't happen, but I know it crosses peoples minds, especially if they have had an employee quit or go part time on them.
  • Options
    I don't, but I conduct interviews and I have seen this a couple times usually because of a degree that is in the maiden name.  I suppose if you were using a previous employer as a reference, it might be helpful to include that.  Also, my degree is in my maiden name, but I never worried about that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"