Birth Stories

Aydn Christopher - Severe and Rare case of Preeclampsia

My pregnancy was a fairly easy one, I didn’t find out until I was almost four months along. It being my first pregnancy I was feeling really good that I hadn’t had any horrible symptoms or any issues.

At my 30 week check-up I went in and my blood-pressure was extremely high 189/92. I took my usual urine test and tested for 2+ in my urine. The doctor asked if I was under high stress or if I had a constant headache. I replied no to both, I felt fine and besides work I was still feeling pretty good. He rechecked my blood pressure again and it was still high. He asked me to come in the following day to have his nurse recheck my blood pressure and told me to lay low until then.  I came in the next day and it was still high. From there my doctor cut my hours at work by more than half and stated that most of my time was to be spent on the couch. He had me coming in twice week to be monitored and blood pressure checked.

At 32 weeks I was absolutely miserable, I had swollen up so bad I could barely get up. I had such bad headaches, dizzy, and just knew something wasn’t right. I called my doctor and he told me to come in right away. Thankfully my hubby was able to get out of work and take me. The doctor looked at me took my blood pressure and said we can’t wait. You need to be admitted and you’ll be having your baby early.
Shock set in pretty quickly, he explained that I had all the symptoms of preeclampsia and that he wasn’t comfortable sending me home.

I was admitted to the hospital on August 11, 2013 and the next three days were absolute hell. The night I was admitted I had such a bad headache that only the running lights were allowed on. I was not allowed to watch tv, go on my cell-phone, and any visitors were to speak to the nurse before entering. They checked me to see if I was dilated, or effaced. I had dilated one centimeter and only 5% effaced and oh did it hurt. The monitors were all hooked up to the baby and thankfully he was doing just fine.

I was given the shot in the arm for the baby’s lungs, and then I would get another one in 24 hours. So I had to try like hell to keep baby in for at least the next 24 hours.

The next day I had an MRI of my brain because I now had a headache for two days straight and it was only getting worse I wore sunglasses at all times and didn’t open my eyes unless I had too. So they did the MRI to rule out any tumor or brain issues. Let me tell you being pregnant having a headache and feeling miserable and having to sit still and listen to the MRI machine was the worst. Results came back normal. Then I was taken down to have a spinal tap to remove fluid from my spine and have it tested. That came normal and the rest of fluid was removed. Then an eye doctor came in stuck a very bright flashlight in my eyes (absolute worst.) The doctor then blurted out that she thinks I have a blood clot behind my eye. I broke down in tears I was so tired and in so much pain and now you tell me I have a blood clot behind my eye. So I went down to the eye department and spent two hours there doing tests. I was literally so tired that my eyes would not stay open. It was so painful and took everything I had to make through the tests. The results came back no blood clot as relieved as I was I was so upset that I had to go through all those tests.

I had put on magnesium sulfate ( I believe that’s correct) for the preeclampsia which makes you feel absolutely miserable and nauseous. I was in so such pain and so sick that I was given a push button to push every 7 minutes for pain. My poor hubby was the absolute best he was so supportive and loving and never left my side. I had swelled up even more that the machine was put on legs to prevent blood clots and a catheter was put in for my safety.

The next morning my doctor came in and said today’s the day you are having the baby. He said and soon he told my hubby to make the phone calls (which we didn’t because we didn’t know if I or the baby would be making it through). Hubby got dressed up and ready for the OR. I was wheeled down to the OR and Hubby had to wait outside while they attempted to give me an epidural. I was leaning over into the most wonderful nurses arms literally just hanging there struggling to stay awake. After an hour of trying they tested to see if the epidural worked and I felt everything. I knew that I would be put under and I started to cry because I not only would not get to experience my first child being born but my hubby wouldn’t be able to be there either. He came in and gave me a kiss and even now I get watery eyed thinking about it. He told me he loved me and he’d see me soon. I woke up and remember such pain from them pushing on my stomach and Chris holding my hand while I cried out in pain. But  I woke up with no headache. They showed me a picture of my beautiful baby boy.

Aydn Christopher
Born August 17, 2013 at 8:37am 4lbs 13oz 17 ¾ inches.
He was taken to the NICU and I wasn’t able to see him until 3:00pm that afternoon.

Chris and I went to the NICU together I was wheeled in my bed and there he was tiny as could be and so many wires and wrapped up in a blanket. They unswaddled him and gave him to me for skin to skin contact. He was so precious and absolutely perfect.

Aydn spent 30 days in the NICU learning how to eat and breath he was sick for the first few days to due to all the medication I was on. We could only hold him at certain times (extremely hard) and had to watch him be poked and prodded every day. He is a trooper and is now home with us. He is the absolute love and joy of our lives. He will be tested for internal organ growth and digestive tract as well as a hip ultrasound.
He has such personality and such a mellow happy baby and I would go through it all again for him.  

heather.ann

Re: Aydn Christopher - Severe and Rare case of Preeclampsia

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"