July 2012 Moms
Options

Update on Em

edited December 2013 in July 2012 Moms
Em is home! We have to follow up with the pedi tomorrow, which works out since Nicholas has to go in tomorrow for his first check up. I wanted to encourage you all to listen to that inner "mom voice". I was so close to waiting to see how Em did overnight. I called the pedi and was so lucky to get the nurse on the line that I did. She listened when I explained that Emily is not a child who complains about anything. She told me that it could just be a virus, but that the fact that she seemed to be in pain and was acting so out of character concerned her. She told me that a parent knows their child better than anyone, and she thought we should take Em to the ER. She could have easily brushed me off but she didn't and by encouraging me to believe what my gut was telling me she probably saved Emily from needing surgery. According to the doctors it may have even saved her life, because many parents second guess themselves for too long before seeking medical treatment. We were so lucky. Catching it early meant a fairly minor procedure instead of a much bigger problem. Thank you all for the prayers and juju, I truly believe in the powers of such things, and appreciate all your kindness.
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Update on Em

• Options
    I'm glad to hear she is doing well.
    "Parenting is a constant struggle between making your kid's live better and ruining your own." Willie Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty'
    Anniversary IMAG1763 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    She had some diarrhea the evening before, overnight, and a little the next morning. I didn't think much of it because she'd spent the previous couple of days with my parents and they tend to spoil her with junk.

The diarrhea stopped, but she just wasn't herself. She would seem fine, then become inconsolable. I started thinking maybe a virus or teething.

For me the big signs were that she refused to get in the tub for bath time, which she usually loves, and when we put her down to sleep she couldn't stay asleep. There was also one time when she sort of held her belly when she was crying, but it was so brief that I wasn't sure it was indicative of pain. It was, however, what put me over the edge to call the pedi.

Mostly she just seemed off, if that makes sense.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am glad she is ok now. You are great mom.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I am so glad she is doing well and home!
  • Options
    I'm just seeing this.  So glad Emily is home and doing well.  Way to go, mom!
    Dating since 3.8.2008. Married since 6.4.2011. Bryson born on 6.28.2012
     CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    So glad to hear that Em is home. I hope that she recovers well and that this does not happen again!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"