One & Done: Only child
Options

Toys for Tots

As ds is getting a little older, we are trying to explain that he has a lot of things other kids do not. We explained that some kids may not get Christmas gifts. He was a little nervous that we were telling him that he wasn't getting gifts. Once he knew that he would be getting Christmas gifts, we went to the local store to pick out a girl and boy toy and went to a Toys for Tots drop off location. He picked out the toys and dropped them off completely understanding they were for kids who needed them and that he was not getting a toy. I am so proud of him. We will definitely do this each year.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Toys for Tots

• Options
    That is awesome! We love doing this every year.
  • Options

Good work, mama!

DD's school does a toy drive. I'm not sure if she'll completely get it at two, but we're going to try.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is great.  My parents didn't do anything like this when I was growing up.  Understandable, because finances were so tight.  DH and I have given very generously to similar causes since we graduated from college, and we're glad we can continue doing so (but we couldn't if we had multiple children!).  That's fantastic that your DS "gets" it already.  How old is he?
    DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • Options
    This is such a great idea. I also like the double bonus of establishing the norm of -- just because we buy a toy at a toy store does not mean it's for you.

I need to start a tradition of this. I also want to take DS to food band and have him help me drop off donations (not that he would understand quite yet, but good to get started). I haven't actually looked into where the food banks in my area are located yet, though... Actually, what I need to do is stop talking about doing it, and just do it. Kudos to you for actually DOING any not just talking ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    He will be four in February. He's starting to get basic courtesy things; he holds doors for people and takes his hat off when he walks inside. More than anything, he loves attention. He knows doing these things will get him positiv feedback. He'll hold the door for people all day and talk to everyone as if he were running for mayor.
    I see too many people, adults and children alike, who take things for granted. I want to do all I can to make sure ds appreciates the extras he has.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Our Target *is* a Toys for Tots drop-off location, so I always end up throwing a toy or two into the cart at some point in December. I love that they make it so easy both to remember and to execute. LO will be oblivious for another year or two yet.
  • Options
    That's awesome! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"