High-Risk Pregnancy

Type 1 insulin needs question

Hello ladies! I just found this board today. I mostly post on the multiples board as I am 34 w 5 d pregnant with twins. I have been type 1 for 15 years and this is my second pregnancy. One thing that I am running into right now is that in the last few days my insulin needs have gone down almost 20 percent. Is this normal late in pregnancy? My concern is that one or both of the placentas are breaking down. I called the endo on call today and she didn't seem to be concerned just told me to lower my basals and increase my carb ratios but I'm still a little nervous. My twice weekly NSTs have been going great tho. So I don't know what to think?
Type 1 Diabetic, Hashimotos, RA. Its twins!!!!  EDD 1/6/2014 Di/di b/g twins.

Re: Type 1 insulin needs question

• Yes it is normal. The research changed on the subject, saying that it's normal for that drop at 34-37 weeks. It is after a drop of 50% that they become more concerned. Definitely keep an eye on it, but don't worry too much, unless something else is added in, like something looks off on the ultrasound or something.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Definitely normal, same thing happened to me around 36 weeks with my first. We just adjusted my settings again so I wasn't in the 50's & 60's all the time. My high risk docs were concerned though b/c my needs did drop significantly and I ended up being induced a week later.
    We're doing the same with this baby even though my insulin demands have only dropped slightly. I'm getting an amino tomorrow to check her lungs & having a repeat c-section Tuesday at 37 weeks 1 day if all is well.
  • Loading the player...
  • Leigh313 said:
    Definitely normal, same thing happened to me around 36 weeks with my first. We just adjusted my settings again so I wasn't in the 50's & 60's all the time. My high risk docs were concerned though b/c my needs did drop significantly and I ended up being induced a week later. We're doing the same with this baby even though my insulin demands have only dropped slightly. I'm getting an amino tomorrow to check her lungs & having a repeat c-section Tuesday at 37 weeks 1 day if all is well.
    Hope all is well! Good luck!
    image image
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Thank You! My little princess was born on Tuesday as planned! She's perfect & we're so in love!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"