August 2013 Moms
Options

Working moms check-in

Another week....by now, I am sure some of us are old hat...others are just starting so they need the re-assurance. So lets hear it. I know for most of us it was a short week. 

Well only having a 3 day week, made it better. I go back today, to the busiest travel weekend of the season....NOT gonna be a good day....but I know I can get through it, and just tough it out. Pumping has been iffy, but I have milk in storage just in case. I was off Fenugreek so I need to get back on that. LO has taken advantage of the boobs being around all the time, and has been nursing a ton....lets hope it does not make life tough for daddy 

Re: Working moms check-in

• Options
    I go back this week. I am super depressed about it. Fortunately, I only have to go in to the office 3 days a week and LO will be home with DH. They are doing much better together. I am more worried about the 2 days I work from home. Since she doesn't nap longer than 30 minutes anymore, I'm afraid I won't get anything done. I'm also worried I will miss stuff when I'm not there. I just never want to be away from her!
  • Options
    I went back to work at 6 weeks, so it has been a while. It has been fine but it is so hard when the baby is sick and I just want to be there. I am so enjoying this long Holliday weekend, full of snuggling and nursing
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    First week back went well, I pumped just enough for her each day and she only put up a fight about bottles for the first half of Monday and now appears to have given in on that front but only at daycare. Still won't take one from daddy.

I am worried that it is going to get harder and harder to find time to pump at work. Each day I had to pump at just whatever time I could make it work and was lucky I got 12-13 oz each day still. And now I am starting a new position on Monday. I see formula supplementation in my future. Not sure my pumping will keep up.

Mommy to J: Born 5/11/2010 & B: Born 8/26/2013

• Options

I go from part time to full time this week. I'm not looking forward to it, but we needed it financially. I already miss my baby so much as it is.. But its for him. I just have to remind myself that. Pumping is all over the place, so I need to be more diligent at the supplements and not missing a pump session, hopefully it will increase.

Good luck to all the mama's going back this week. It does get easier..

• Options
    I go back on Monday. I know it's going to be hard, but I'm printing a picture of DD to put on my desk. Hopefully that will help.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    I'm thinking about requesting to work from home two days per week. LO would still go to daycare every day but I would get at least an hour more with him on work from home days. The problem is that working from home is not common at my company and I wouldn't have access to the computer network. I have to figure out a way to make it sound like my working from home would somehow benefit the company. The only thing I can think of is that I might be more productive. Our office is really crowded and distractions abound.
  • Options
    @kmr333 I had the same computer network access issue when WFH. I set up teamviewer (free download) so I can access my work computer from my laptop at home. I would look into that.

My second week went ok. Dd had a very hungry day two days in a row so we had to dip into the freezer fund.

I really enjoy working though. I feel more like my old self. It's hard to be away from DD, but I get texts and pics throughout the day to see how she is doing.

• Options
    Work has been very stressful the past two weeks. We had a student complete suicide & it's been tough all around.

Our kids have been doing great at the sitter's. They love their friends there. I've stopped pumping all together now, I literally was getting less than a half ounce at a time :( We're also trying to figure out the best formula. She seems best in soy at this point. She's thrown up & had tummy issues with regular & sensitive.

I'm loving the extra snuggle/family time this week too!
    imageimage
  • Options
    I start back on Monday :( Hubby is watching LO all week though (using vacation time) but the following week he will be starting at daycare and I know that will be really rough. Hoping I can switch from full time to part time in the near future but they denied it when I asked while I was still pregnant...just hoping something changes!
  • Options
    I only had to work monad and Tuesday this past week and loved the extra time with LO. DH is doing good adjusting to staying with LO and work is going fine but I'd rather be home.
  • Options
    @krb03 I'm sorry to hear about that student. It's always tough on a community when that happens.

• Options
    I have a pretty good routine. Pumping is going well. I am producing plenty such a bleasing. I am enjoying my long weekend...it was so needed. I am not looking forward to Monday. Life is so easy when I am home. I am trying to figure out my schedule. For when my coworker comes back from maternity leave. It is either a day off or late starts? Not sure what to do? What would you do...day off means 4 long days.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think it has been three weeks. I'm having a tough time. I feel very overwhelmed and although I love my job, I'm just having a rough tupime dealing with all of Evans dr. Appointments, G's school issues and O's issues as well. I had a breakdown yesterday and I think I'm just stressed out.
  • Options
    I'm going on my 3rd full week back and the next 2 weeks are going to be really tough. DH has to travel to training for 2 weeks so he will leave before 5am and get home after 7pm. This leaves me getting myself and LO ready, and doing all drop offs and pick ups. This is completely opposite if our normal routine.
    I guess im things are getting a little better emotionally. I do enjoy work, the adult interaction and live my company. It's strange though, I feel guilty for feeling good about it. Like I'm beating myself up over my starting to like work.
  • Options
    I've been back at work for longer than I was home at this point. Just convinced DH to come with me to a training I have in San Diego. He's not happy about having to travel with both kids and being with them both at a hotel while I am in training. I'm hoping my cousin will be around with his 1 yr old so they can keep each other company, maybe go to the zoo, etc. Then the night we get back I'm staying alone in a hotel in SF for a work event that starts early the next morning. I'm hoping to get a lot of sleep!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    Been back about a month and it's definitely easier mentally than it was. Pumping is not going so well. I already had a low supply and only would get about 3-4 oz per pumping and only got a chance to pump 2-3 times in my 12 hour shift... Well last night I only got 1 oz total during one of my pumpings and it hasn't really picked up since! I'm actually pumping now as I type and so far not getting much. Being a nurse, I didn't get a short week this week and am really missing LO.

TTC since July 2011
    HSG normal in May 2012 followed by three unmonitored clomid cycles unsuccessful
    Unexplained female infertility (My husband apparently has super sperm)
    IUI # 1 Nov 24
    BFP Dec 8! EDD Aug 17th, due to Preeclampsia and HELLP, Kylie Penelope was born July 30th!

• Options
    I just told my boss Wednesday before thanksgiving that I wanted to reduce my hours to part time I was terrified he was going to fire me but he was completely cool with it. He pretty much told me to make my hours as long as I can open so I'm working 7 to 3 m w f, I would have loved giving myself an extended weekend but that would scew up patients that need to be seen 3 times a week.

I am so thankful that I work in a field that can switch hours so easily and now hopefully I won't be so stressed about pumping and keeping up my supply. Also these hours should work if I stay at this clinic when LO starts school.
  • Options
    This week was only a 2 day week which was awesome! LO has taken to screaming when she's tired now. The past 3 days have been a joy. I'm hoping she gets this out of her system soon. It'll drive dh crazy...his patience only goes so far. I'm already counting the days until Christmas vacation!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I started work today (was a short day). At first, it was rough. I couldn't sleep last night and felt particularly sad. However, once our nanny arrived and we saw her with our LO I felt 10X better. Once I got to work it felt good! I'm sure this week will be a transition but overall I'm feeling good about going back and my LO had an awesome day!
        DS born 8-16-2013
  • Options
    I've been back at work since the end of September. I wfh, but DS is in daycare. He seems to really like it and has little baby friends that he "talks" to during the day. I'm pretty happy with his care there as the teachers are awesome. As for pumping, it's going well, but I do feel like I have trouble getting much done when I'm pumping every two hours. I'm going to try and push it back to every 3, but I'm worried my supply will tank. Guess we'll see what happens.
  • Options
    @Maritza707 - I started pumping every 3 hours and I produced just as much milk as I did pumping every 2 hours. However, it took longer to empty.

• Options
    mommabmbmommabmb member
    edited December 2013
    I'm about to give up pumping. It breaks my heart, but since I've been back at work I just haven't made the time to pump like I needed to, and my supply has tanked. I pump 4oz, 3x a day. LO eats 36-40oz a day. I'm ready to quit. I've been cutting back (only pumping twice) starting this weekend.

Overall, I like working. I appreciate my job and my field. I'm thankful for what I have and what I've worked for. But, I would LOVE to SAH at some point. My H agreed that I could SAH after I pay off my student loans. At this pace, that's 2046. *sigh*
    Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
    DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
    FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

• Options
    I didn't work this week but I'm very excited to say we finally found a way for dad to feed baby! take the warmed milk in a cup and dip the corner of a clean wash cloth in. Then give baby corner and squeeze down the liquid as she sucks on the end. So glad I can finally go back without worrying that baby would get hungry.

Engaged 10/2/1202
    BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
    Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
    Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013
    BFP #2 3/13/2016

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mommabmb said:
    I'm about to give up pumping. It breaks my heart, but since I've been back at work I just haven't made the time to pump like I needed to, and my supply has tanked. I pump 4oz, 3x a day. LO eats 36-40oz a day. I'm ready to quit. I've been cutting back (only pumping twice) starting this weekend.

36-40 oz a day?! That would break me! I was under the impression that babies eat abut an oz an hour. Is the person feeding your LO aware of the ways to feed a breastfeeding baby a bottle?

• Options
    mommabmb said:
    I'm about to give up pumping. It breaks my heart, but since I've been back at work I just haven't made the time to pump like I needed to, and my supply has tanked. I pump 4oz, 3x a day. LO eats 36-40oz a day. I'm ready to quit. I've been cutting back (only pumping twice) starting this weekend. Overall, I like working. I appreciate my job and my field. I'm thankful for what I have and what I've worked for. But, I would LOVE to SAH at some point. My H agreed that I could SAH after I pay off my student loans. At this pace, that's 2046. *sigh*
    HOLY CRAP!! I leave DH about 20oz, but he only uses about 3/4 of that.....No wonder you are having issues

• Options
    laabeja said:

mommabmb said:

36-40 oz a day?! That would break me! I was under the impression that babies eat abut an oz an hour. Is the person feeding your LO aware of the ways to feed a breastfeeding baby a bottle?

Umm, yea this. DS is in daycare from 7:30-4:45. I feed him at 6:30am before we leave and give the daycare 15oz of milk for the time he's there. He drinks 3oz every 2 hours or so. Sometimes he only drinks 12oz. 36-40oz? That seems incredibly excessive. Are you EP and not BF when you get home from work? Are you sure your provider isn't over feeding your child? BF babies do not need as much milk as FF babies since the amount of calories in our milk adjusts and grows as our babies get older. @amyg Any thoughts?
  • Options

@Maritza707 - I started pumping every 3 hours and I produced just as much milk as I did pumping every 2 hours. However, it took longer to empty.

Thanks! I'm going I slowly try to do this during the week and see how it goes!
  • Options
    hstautz said:

So you know that speech your husband gives when your about oh 3 weeks into maternity leave? "When you go back to work I'll take everyother night feeding." Well that is all a bunch of fucking bullshit.

Yup! Super annoying!!
  • Options
    mommabmbmommabmb member
    edited December 2013

laabeja said:

mommabmb said:

Umm, yea this. DS is in daycare from 7:30-4:45. I feed him at 6:30am before we leave and give the daycare 15oz of milk for the time he's there. He drinks 3oz every 2 hours or so. Sometimes he only drinks 12oz. 36-40oz? That seems incredibly excessive. Are you EP and not BF when you get home from work? Are you sure your provider isn't over feeding your child? BF babies do not need as much milk as FF babies since the amount of calories in our milk adjusts and grows as our babies get older. @amyg Any thoughts?

@labeeja @maritza707 @bunnyfer
    Firstly, he's always been primarily FF, so I follow the FF rules instead of the BF ones. I've always had to pump- never BF, and never made more than half of what he's needed at any given time. Secondly, he's 18 pounds (2-3oz per pound is the formula for how much to eat per day, per the pediatrician). I have a giant in the 99%tile. He's only 12 weeks, and the doc isn't worried about his size since he was born 10#2, but I just can't keep up!
    Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
    DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
    FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

• Options
    @mommabmb That makes sense then. I thought it was all BM and was amazed, lol! Well, as long as he's on track and doing well, that's all that matters.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"