Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

seperation anxiety at 2am...help

the last few weeks my 17mnth old daughter is waking at least once during the night...simply for a hug.  We've tried to to let her cry it out with no luck (in the past this has worked easily for her).  We've tried going in there and rubbing her back.  All she wants is for us to pick her up and hug her for a few seconds.  Sometimes she will do it more than once right in a row so that first I go in and hold her then my husband does.  Desperate for her to start sleeping again.  Any thoughts anyone?  Help!!

Re: seperation anxiety at 2am...help

• Options
    I don't think this is abnormal.  My DD went through a spell like this around 18 months which is pretty common.  She went through another quite recently.  I think you just need to hold her for a few minutes.  It sucks waking up in the middle of the night but it sounds like she is going back to sleep easily if you give her what she needs.  I am not anti CIO by any means but it seems kind of cruel to not just pick the girl up for some snuggles.  I'm sure she'll get herself out the phase.  Sorry I know that's not what you want to hear!
  • Options
    We went through a phase like that recently. It lasted a few weeks for us. He would have separation anxiety at bedtime and in the middle of the night when he wakes up. We just kind of rolled with it figuring it was some sort of phase and tagged team getting up in the middle of night of the night to soothe him. I think if it would've continued then I would've looked into some type of sleep training. It's gotten a lot better but we still have occasional nights where he would wake up multiple times throughout the night. DS is also 17 months old.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    she's been through phases like this before, the crying it out is sometimes what she has wanted and hasn't wanted our comfort.  this phase just seems to be dragging, actually it's been off and on since i went back to work after summer break (i work at a school).  i just want her to be more relaxed like we were all summer...I guess we have a few months before that huh?!
  • Options
    and i wasn't writing thinking this was particularly abnormal or really looking for a solution.  just the support of 'this sucks right now'
  • Options

I agree with just doing the snuggles, mainly because I would be afraid that using other methods to comfort might start a whole new set of bad habits to break. I can commiserate with you though. My kid's been pooping in the MOTN the last few nights, and it's super annoying but like your situation there's really no solution except adding an extra shot of espresso to your morning coffee. Sorry :(

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    in the past there have been times where trying to comfort her has made it worse and she's wanted to comfort herself, sometimes by crying which is why this time around has been more frustrating because its different.  and i was looking more for support, my 'help' was more about support.  sorry guys.  thanks for everything
  • Options
    does she go back to sleep after the hug? If it's just a hug and she goes back to sleep, then it's really not an issue. You will miss those hugs one day :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"