Health & Exercise
Options

Personal training- is it worth the money?

I am 7 months post partum and I need to get back in shape and lose between 20-30lbs. I am still on mat leave and I joined a gym and was considering personal training. The minimum sessions I can buy is 8- but they are recommending 24- which will be twice a week for 3 months. Is 8 enough- can I do this on my own or will having a trainer make me much likelier to reach my goal?

Re: Personal training- is it worth the money?

• Options
    Defiantly buy personal training if you haven't worked out in awhile and/or never have lifted much weights.  I did 3 months of personal training once I got the ok from the doctor to start working out again.  I literally was at the gym the day following the 6 week pp checkup :)  I met with her twice a week too.  If you find a gym where the personal trainers basically are contractors to the gym its much cheaper and they usually charge about $40/hour here.  Gyms where trainers are the employee are more expensive because they mark it up.  I do recommend 3 months.  They help you learn how to eat right depending on the trainer, have the correct form, and are you personal cheerleader.  I switched gyms and bought another month of training from a different type of trainer and after that I felt I could do it by myself at that point.  Next time I won't need to buy training again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think if you can budget for it, a personal trainer is going to be a great thing.  You'll have someone pushing you and get results.  Do they have a deal if you buy the 24 sessions together that saves you a lot of money? If not, maybe you could start with 8 and then decide if you want to purchase more.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Like PPs said- if you have the money- go ahead and do it. If this is your first time at the gym or doing free weights it's a good consideration so you can learn proper technique and not injure yourself.

If you know what you are doing, then I'd say no. This day and age you can find how to videos online and learn different exercises to do. There have so many websites dedicated to different workout types- dailyhiit.com and bodyrocktv.com

I was big into the gym and lifting before getting pregnant so I cut back during pregnancy and now I'm back at it (at a new gym) and they offered me a start up deal where I got 3 free if I bought so many? I didn't do it only because it ended up not being worth it. IDK.  I am middle of the road I guess.
  • Options
    If you can affordit, do it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"