Pregnant after IF

Switch from RE to OBGyN?

How did you find your switch? Was the OBGYN sensitive to what you've been through? Did you want to be treated like everyone else or feel like you needed a little extra TLC?

Re: Switch from RE to OBGyN?

• I think you will find unless you have something in your history, obgyns won't generally give special treatment for ivf patients. I found my obgyn before we did ivf but like any DR I would just research and interview some and find the right fit for you. Also look into what hospital you would like to deliver at and see which DRs or midwives are affiliated with that hospital. Good luck!
  • I found my OB to be sympathetic when I explained everything to her. I told her I struggled with waiting 4 weeks between appointments so she told me she'd do every 3 ;) But she's not like my RE in the sense that my RE was very nurturing and personable. I got to know her in a much different way. We connected through my experience with IF.
    DH & I: 29
    TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
    TTC #2 since October 2011
    2IF issues
    7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • ugh.  mine gave no TLC unfortunately.  i've read others on here whose did, very much so.  
    i started seeing my ob/gyn about 6 years ago and only went the once a year for my annual so it's not like i had a terrific relationship with him.  i really like him, but wanted a little more coddling.  Because there are 4 docs in the practice, I have to switch throughout the pregnancy for each OB visit.  only one dr. said to me "it took you 4 years to become pregnant, you ask however many questions you want".  i love that dr. and she'll be one of the ones doing my c section thank goodness.  extra love is soooo important for us PAIF ladies!!!!   
    Me (37) DH (39); PCOS changed to Unexplained, changed to DOR in 2012 (finally a correct diagnosis!); 
    Started TTC 2009 with RE after 6 months.  
    Clomid + Trigger x2; 
    IUI + Femara x1,
    IUI + Follistim x2;
    IVF #1 (MDL) February 2013- BFN.
    IVF #2 (antagonist) May 2013, First BFP of my life. 
    Identical twin miracle BOYS (!!) headed our way- due date is technically 2/4/14 but c section is scheduled for 1/7! 

BabyFetus Ticker image
  • I picked my ob based on her hospital affiliation, c-section rates, being voted a top doctor in the area and from a friend who saw her. Her practice also includes a midwife practice which sounded pretty good to me since I get a midwife and a doctor.
    I did all this research back when I first started ttc so I got in with her a few years ago for my annuals. Then last year I had just graduated from my RE when pregnancy #2 ended so she did my D&C. She is pretty cool but I haven't seen her this time yet. Only met with the midwife.

IF, 5 losses, 1 son, 1 on the way.
    fall in love with someone Pictures Images and Photos  photo turtlejpg

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks for the tips. oh so much to learn still. I'm a Canadian living in the US and figuring out the healthcare as we go has been a ride for sure!
  • I totally think there should be a special OB for post RE!
  • LuluPMW said:
    I totally think there should be a special OB for post RE!
    I completely agree. I first met with my sister's OB. She really liked him. I felt no love from him at our first appointment and my Dh was adamant we find someone else. We ended up going with a MFM who delivers and was recommended by our RE. We are much happier :)

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• I feel like the OBGYN is just so.... impersonal. I guess there's the expectation from being a regular patient for years with my RE that I get a certain kind of familiarity with my case/history when there are people looking at my vagina.

I find it a VERY hard transition- especially with my loss history. My RE kept me to 10 weeks last pregnancy and 12 weeks this pregnancy- and add in the 6 weeks from my first loss- and I've spent 28 weeks pregnant under my REs care- and only 7 weeks pregnant under my OB. Last time my OB ignored my concerns, fobbed me off to a nurse when I came in for early contractions, and when less than 12 hours after that fobbing off I was in L&D with my water broken- didn't even have the decency to figure out what the bloody hell happened to cause a second trimester loss. I was told "These things happen with unnatural pregnancies." Needless to say I ditched that OB- but it's still deeply shaken my trust in traditional OB care.

I'm still waiting for my first appointment with my new OB (insurance snafu- long story) but I feel like I should be ready to go to war to get the care I deserve. I trust my RE and nurses to have all my information and to make excellent decisions for my care without me needing to inspect every test and result for possible screw ups. I don't trust any regular OB in the same way. Which sucks.
    Friends for 17 years. Married 10. TTC since Jan 2009.
    3 IVFs, 4 FETs, 11 transferred embryos, 3 losses (c/p, 6w, 17w)
    2012: Lost "Peanut" at 17weeks to PTL/IC.
     Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    2013: IVF#3/FET#4  Elisabeth CJ born April 30, 2014
    Cerclage, P17, and 3 months of bed rest brought us our Rainbow.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
     Dum spiro, spero.
  • I was told "These things happen with unnatural pregnancies." Needless to say I ditched that OB- but it's still deeply shaken my trust in traditional OB care.

I can't believe a professional would say that! What an awful experience!

I saw an OB for the first time when I was just starting my ivf injections and I didn't love her that's for sure. I waited almost 2 hours. Then she kept cutting me off and rushed through. Then she asked me about surgery with my RE aside from the ivf stuff and when I said no because there was no reason, her response was "not yet". Whaaat was that about? Just before leaving she randomly told me I looked depressed! I wasn't depressed, but felt it showed a complete lack of insight into what an ivf patient's roller coaster ride is. That experience is a big part of why I'm nervous of OBs. Boo! Hoo!
  • So far I love my OB office they all seem very sympathetic just in general not specifically to IF patients. My first OB actually told me, which I thought was strange and funny, that I'm on equal playing grounds with everyone else there and no more or less important than their other patients. I was just kinda like, umm ok!! Lol
    Me: 33, Endocrine issues & FVL       DH: 32, Nothing 
    NTNP 2009-2012         TTC since 2012:
    • Clomid, 2 IUI cycles, and 5 IVF cycles = BFN
    • FET #1   August 2013 = BFP!     EDD 5/11/14
    • Jack dx at 19w1d with Dandy Walker on 12/16/13
    • Severe Pre-e /HELLP set in Jack born sleeping at 20w1d on 12/23/13
    • FET #2 --July 2014  BFP!  ---  EDD  4/5/15

Jack has handpicked his sibling up there :)

My blog about IF and loss ... Kate's IF Blog

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Anniversary

• I found it rough to transition from RE to OBGYN.  At the RE practice we were treated with kid gloves, basically.   Not so much with OBGYN, but I expected that.  My SO straight-up can't stand my OBGYN and wishes I would switch to someone else (but he is grumpy with most people).  But I've been seeing this dr for several years and actually like him.

Oh yeah, and my RE was MUCH cuter than my OBGYN.  ;)
  • I love my RE and the nurses, but we've been building our relationship over the past two years. So to be fair to my new OB, I can't really compare her to him since we haven't had that history yet, you know?

I will say from my first meeting with my OB, I did like her. I also asked my RE his thoughts on her and he says she was pretty good too. What I do not like is that I will switch off between seeing my OB and a NP every other appt or so. I'm going in Monday to the NP and I don't know what to expect, which causes me a little anxiety. I felt like I knew what we were doing every step of the way with my RE and now feel a little in the dark.

My OB was sympathetic to our struggles, but has mentioned that she wants to treat me like a regular, twin pregnancy. I'm still going to request a consultation with the MFM center around 16 weeks, because I will feel so much better once given the green light from them.

I go back and forth from wanting to be treated like everyone else to wanting to be treated special. This is my first pregnancy, from IVF, with twins. To say I'm a bit scared is an understatement! Our office has numerous resources as far as classes and seminars though, so I think I'm going to sign up for some of that to help get me acquainted with my new surrounding!

Hope you have a nice transition Lulu! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"