Toddlers: 24 Months+

Speech Delay and intro

Hi there-- My son is 25m. He's been evaluated and everything is on track developmentally, except for language. He had chronic ear infections since he was 4m. He has had two sets of tubes and his adenoids removed. He has been infection free since the last surgery 4 months ago. Yay! Longest stretch he has ever had.  
He only has a handful of single words. He loves to "talk" up a storm, but it just sounds like jibberish. He qualified for early intervention speech services. He starts in a couple of weeks. The team has given us some tools to help him in the meantime. Would love to connect with anyone who is dealing with a language delay. Thanks!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Speech Delay and intro

• Hi there, DS has been doing speech therapy as well but we started about 6 months ago. He has a lot of "jabber" and he has increased a lot of words the last couple weeks. I think that early intervention helps somewhat, but for us it's only an hour appt. once a week so by the time he warms up to them they leave. If anything it will help you on different things you can do with him or try. The thing that I think helps the most is read read read to him as much as you can and talk throughout the day otherwise you can't make them talk, he'll do it when he's ready and he'll be fine :) Also keep reading and hearing from other people that boys talk later, DS is a mad man with his motor skills and definitely just wants to run around and climb and not sit and talk. Good luck :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Hi! My little guy just turned two this past Saturday, and has been to three speech therapy sessions so far. He has no words but babbles and does "BA" "da" etc with no meaning. He has been evaluated and it is only a speech delay.

he is starting EI preschool twice a week, two and a half hours a day next week. He will get a half hour a week officially of speech therapy. It doesn't seem like a lot to me, but I hope it works.

keep in touch and message me if you want to discuss! Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you! I am sure I will have many questions as we go along. My son will be getting 2 1-hour sessions each week. We also pulled the plug on tv and most battery powered toys about 5 wks ago. It has helped tremendously. He has a lot more focus. His daycare has noticed a big difference as well.
    We are learning that we have to be very proactive & engaged... and not as "lazy" when it comes to parenting (i.e. don't sit him in front of tv while you're doing housework, etc) @1017shannon, I will def be in touch, thank you!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hi my DD has been receiving speech therapy since she was 17 months old.  She is now 34 months and has been recently diagnosed with childhood apraxia of speech.  I have actually been so grateful for speech therapy since we started.  It was hard not to feel like I was a failure when she wasn't talking at all but the therapist was able to help me understand where her problem was and how to help her.  She only sees her 1x week but it is a fun play filled session at my house.  However, the therapist sets me with things to work on for the next week that are productive at eliciting speech from her.  

The fact that your son is jabbering is huge and I'm sure he'll make improvement quickly once he begins.  Good luck!! 
  • Hi, my DD will be 4 next month. She has been in speech therapy since she was two. At two she jabbered all the time, but only had a few actual words. She was diagnosed with an articulation disorder and placed in speech therapy once a week for 30 min. We moved out of state when she was 2.5 and she qualified for their more intense therapy and has been receiving therapy 3 days a week since then. Her speech has improved immensely since we moved! We were told that she has improved so much that she should "graduate" from therapy before kindergarten.

Make sure your child has a good relationship with their therapist. A good connection makes a huge difference! DD loves "play time" with her therapist.
  • One of my twins was in EI from 2 til he aged out at 3 (2 times a week for an hour at home)- now he receives services via the school district.  They have a preschool that is 5 days a week for 2.5 hours- which is free.  Within that time has 80 minutes of speech a week- but the teacher also focuses on getting him to speak more and use his words.  He has only gone for a month but I have noticed a huge improvement.  In his class there are students with no delays and students with speech or other delays.  We are going to send his brother next year to the same preschool with him as a tuition student(they were too young to sign up for this year since they follow the school district's schedule)but have them placed in different classes, since I think they will do better being separated.
  • Im so encouraged to find people in the same boat as me :). My son is 25 months as well, and he has qualified for speech therapy. He will say and use a word for awhile and then stop, but then say a new word for awhile, and then sometimes pick up words he has stopped using. We have been going to speech therapy for 2 months now and he is doing really well with it. 
    We actually have an appointment to have him evaluated by Vanderbelt Childrens Hospital next week. Im really excited to get this done, but very nervous at the same time! He does sometimes ignore people and have problems following simple instructions, but at the same time he is very loving and snuggly. he participates in his sunday school class and does the hand motions to the songs.... my prayer is that we can figure out exactly whats going on so we can get the help he needs and move forward, and I would love if they ruled out autism (which has been mentioned, but honestly i don't think he is on the spectrum)... ill just feel better to KNOW and stop speculating! 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"