Breastfeeding
Options

New pump or fix old one?

Hi ladies - I have an older style Medela Pump In Style original that's just over 6 years old. I broke one of the tubing ports on the front and now can only pump one side at a time. I bought a PISA Advanced on sale last week for $200 but haven't opened it since hubby is trying to fix the first one, but he hasn't been able to yet. Question - is the newer model with the let down function significantly better than the old one and will the suction on a newer one be different than an older one? If the pump is going to do a better job now and when I return to work in Jan I'll go ahead and open it for our holiday travels. If not, I'll give DH another shot at fixing the old one and possibly return this one. Don't want to waste $, but would prefer to use whichever pump will work better. Thanks for any advice!
Mom to DS - 9/24/2005 Ectopic Pregnancy - 5/7/2012 Miscarriage - 12/13/2012. Mom to DD - 9/13/2013

Re: New pump or fix old one?

• Options
    With #1, I started off with my bff's PISA that was about 6 years old. I didn't think it was getting the job done and replaced it with a new PISA and it works much better! I'm using it again with #2 and it's still like new. I EP'd with #1 and am with this LO also- so it gets plenty of use. I'd keep the new one.
    BFP #1 on 2.13.11, MM/C 04.11.11 @ 12W, 1D
    BFP #2 due on 2.17.12 - Happy Birthday Brooks 2.11.12
    BFP #3 on 11.14.12, M/C 12.3.12 @ 7W, 1D
    BFP #4 due 12.11.13- Happy Birthday Taylor @ 34w, 2d
    - 30w+1- pPROM and hospital bed rest till DD comes

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    My Preemie ticker

image image
  • Options
    Call the company and they can send you a new front plate probably. Medela has great customer service. Then make a decision. If you can wait that long.
    Lilypie - (7gcp)

Lilypie - (S3If)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Call the company and they can send you a new front plate probably. Medela has great customer service. Then make a decision. If you can wait that long.
    I forgot to mention that I went to Medela first. Unfortunately they no longer have the faceplates for this model available. :-( They were super responsive and great to work with, though.
    Mom to DS - 9/24/2005 Ectopic Pregnancy - 5/7/2012 Miscarriage - 12/13/2012. Mom to DD - 9/13/2013
  • Options
    Can your insurance company supply a new one to you, via Affordable Care Act requirements to supply breastpump to every nursing momma?
  • Options
    I would use the new one. The two phase expression was helpful in triggering my let down when I EPed. I initially used my cousins old Medela Pump and it was a total PITA. Almost killed my supply. I would say get the new one, and it's probably covered under your insurance.

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"