Breastfeeding
Options

Really discouraged

I started back at work this week and have been sending 14 ounces to daycare and she eats all of it from 8-5:15.  I am only pumping 8 ounces at work.  I have the Ameda Pump. I don't know how I will keep up. Please help!

Re: Really discouraged

• Options
    Could you add another session after LO goes to bed? Many woman pump to get a few extra ounces for bottles at that time. Also, is DC doing paced feeding? Make sure they know how to bottle feed a BF baby. Check out kellymom.com for tips.
    The amount you are sending sounds a bit high. The rule of thumb is an ounce per hour. BF babies tend to eat smaller amounts but more often. I always followed that rule and sent a couple of extra ounces just in case.
  • Options
    They said for 2 of the feedings she ate 6 ounces at a time! They think she is in a growth spurt.  They said they know how to feed a bf baby but I don't know.  I don't mind adding an extra pumping session, I did this morning before she woke up (like an hour and a half before) and only got 3 ounces.  What is wrong with my pump?  I don't get what I am doing wrong.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

How many times per day do you pump and for how long? I was in the same spot as you last week. Here is what I did:

1. Made lactation cookies and eat at least two every day.

2. Bought these liquid fenugreek capsules and took the max dosage.

3. Ordered Pumpin Pals flanges from Amazon.

4. Added one early morning pumping session at home. Either super early when DH wakes up at 5 or right before I walk out the door.

5. Stopped swaddling her at night so that she was more likely to wake up and nurse throughout the night - which helps my supply.

6. Try to make at least one or two pumping sessions each day last 30 minutes.

It's only been a week and I am now pumping more than she eats so I'm putting anywhere from 1.5 to 3 oz in the freezer each day. It's such a relief.

I also have an Ameda PY and find that I need to have the suction all the way up and the speed up pretty high as well. At work I used a Hygeia Q and need the lowest suction with middle speed. Every pump is just different but playing around with the settings can help you get more.

Oh, and I also got a massage last weekend because I was super stressed about my supply and stress makes it worse!  ;)  

DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Options
    They said for 2 of the feedings she ate 6 ounces at a time! They think she is in a growth spurt.  They said they know how to feed a bf baby but I don't know.  I don't mind adding an extra pumping session, I did this morning before she woke up (like an hour and a half before) and only got 3 ounces.  What is wrong with my pump?  I don't get what I am doing wrong.

Whoa 6 oz of breastmilk at one feeding is a whole lot. What bottles and nipples do you use?
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Options
    I know, they say she's in a growth spurt. I don't know though. I am just overwhelmed with it all.  Dr Browns bottles, premie nipples.
  • Options
    I just pumped and turned the suction way up and got a lot more, hopefully this + adding an addition session at night or morning at home will resolve it. I am really not willing to wake the baby up at night to feed her if she does not want/need me to. Those first 8 weeks were REALLY long with the wake ups.
  • Options

try massaging while you pump, changing position of the pump, cycling through the stimulation phase a few times to get a 2nd let down...

And/or adding a second pumping session.

Also, for the record, it is possible for some breastfed babies to eat 6oz at a time-- Mine has been doing it consistently since she was 6 months old-- from a bottle or from me.  But yours is really little, so if you don't think that is typical for your baby, suggest they give her smaller portions.

• Options
    Is your pump working well? I had an Ameda Purely Yours and barely got enough suction. I called and they sent me replacement parts and it worked even worse. I've been renting the Medela Symphony ever since and it's really helped my supply.
  • Options
    I only pump about 8 ounces a day at work, too.  I have to add additional pumping sessions every day so that's what I recommend you do to.
  • Options
    So, I too think they are over feeding but I will give you my best pumping tips.... Start every nursing session with a few deep breaths and shoulder rolls and then do this at pump time too...it is something to condition your body to associate an action other than just baby nursing with letdown. Pump 10-15 mins then take a 10 min break and pump for another 10--this let's your oxytocin levels reset and you are more likely to get a second let down than just continually pumping. Drink something hot like tea when you pump. Look at pictures or video of your baby and even bring in an article of clothing that smells like her. Stand against a doorway and rub your back up and down to massage between your shoulders before pumping. Try rescue remedy before pumping to help with let down, Get your pump checked to make sure it is working well. Sorry for crappy formatting....on an iPad.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"