November 2013 Moms
Options

Bed rest guilt

Well today is my first day on modified bed rest since my bp likes to dance around. :/. Why do I feel guilty? Maybe my doc is being too cautious? Like maybe I could really work? What if I am out for no reason? I don't want to feel like this is a vaca The guilt of felling happy I am off around the holidays (which I haven't been in over 8 years) how do I handle all of this emotion? Is it normal ?

Re: Bed rest guilt

• Options
    Lol sorry ladies posted on the wrong board :/ I am a jan 14 momma. I just love reading the birth stories. Feel free to answer if you wish :)
  • Options
    I was on bed rest from 9/13 to 11/3 when LO was born.  I initially felt like I could still work and felt really guilty about being off, but then my obgyn explained how my high BP and PTL scare could cause all this additional stress and how my body needed as much rest as possible to ensure that LO got here safely and I felt better.

I think its normal to have those emotions, but just try to remember how much stress your body is under and even though you don't necessarily feel like you need to be out of work that your doctor has a reason for putting you out.  Maybe talking to your doctor about his/her reasoning and what the risks of continuing to work are would help to ease your mind.

Good luck, and I hope that everything goes well and you and LO stay healthy :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's worth it to be overly cautious and to listen to your doctors. I was on modified bed rest my whole third trimester, and I thank god every day my LO was able to stay inside and bake until 39 weeks. He's beautiful and perfect and so worth the wait!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree you are taking care of your baby. High BP can lead to a host if problems, including death and permanent brain damage to you LO and seizures or death to you. If you're not quite clear on why you're on bed rest or the bennifits vs risk of not, talk it over with your OB or MFM.

I was diagnosed with pregnancy induced hypertensive disorder and my medical team was very up front about the potential severity which I really appreciated.

Good luck to you with a healthy LO in just a few months. And believe me, you'll be missing that bed soon enough ;)

• Options
    @babymama619. What were ur avg bp readings?
  • Options
    I agree with these ladies...who cares if they are being overly cautious, it is in the best interest of you and LO. That is what is the most important. I also had HBP my whole pregnancy and my doctors were very cautious and I cannot thank them enough because now I have an amazing little boy!!! Good luck and prayers for a continued healthy pregnancy!!
  • Options
    @jamiecallow. I guess it's just confusing bc it's all over the place. Today it's been perfect but I am sure that is bc I have literally been off my feet all morning. So i battle with... Okay bp is good. Why am I at home u know ?
  • Options
    Ljessen13 said:

@jamiecallow. I guess it's just confusing bc it's all over the place. Today it's been perfect but I am sure that is bc I have literally been off my feet all morning. So i battle with... Okay bp is good. Why am I at home u know ?

Oh I understand that and that is exactly how mine was the entire time but when I finally went in to deliver my BP had shot up to 158/119 and now I have to go back for weekly checks until it is back to normal again. @Ljessen13
  • Options
    Thank u @jamiecallow. For over 24 hrs yesterday it avg about 134/92. It went higher and hung out there for awhile. Doc had me lay on my left side and it was 138/68. He said well that's better. I guess with lo being engaged at 34 weeks and bp issues doc is concerned of preterm labor. I know he made the right call but I am just like what if it's fine for the next two weeks. Can I go back!? I know the answer will be no. But it's hard to blow thru std benefits before little one is even here yet.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you are going through this, but you really need to listen to your Dr. They don't put people on bed rest for no reason! My BP danced around 140/80 most of my 2nd & 3rd tri (I was already on bp meds for an existing condition). I was never put on BR, but looking back I wish I had been. I delivered LO via emergency c section @35 weeks, weighing 3.5 lbs. 5 weeks in the NICU. Thankfully he is a healthy baby, aside from typical preemie issues. The only thing the Drs can determine that caused his low birth weight is my high bp.
    I'm not trying to scare you, but please know that although you feel "ok" you should definitely follow Dr's orders! Nothing is worth going through what we have been through with LO.
    Does your employer offer catastrophic leave? Thankfully mine does. It won't help with a paycheck but carries over my FMLA insurance coverage. (I am looking at a 6 month leave due to LO health issues- it's not ideal work wise, but I will do whatever it takes)! It's something to think about. Ask your HR department if they offer it or anything else that might ease your mind in regards to work! Good luck!
  • Options
    My bp was great until about 32/33 weeks. Prior to that I had one or two high readings. It would be great sometimes and high other times. It never got super high. It slowly got higher as my pregnancy progressed and did a lot of dancing around. In the last weeks 36-37 I got readings about 145/92 I think. Then sometimes it would be fine. I was allowed to continue working because I could rest at work and I had weekly biophysical profiles.

In the last week I hit 155/95 and went to L&D. A few days later the MFM showed me the literature and recommendation for induction. If it had happened earlier, like with you, they would have recommended bed rest.

• Options
    @babymama619. It started around the same time. It has gotten as high as 150/110 then came back down. No pre e. But it still dances around. Great and then crappy. I can't rest at work :/ I am a bank manager and am on my feet most of the day. Lots of kneeling. Up and down. Lifting. So the doc didn't want to take any chances. It makes me feel better to know that your doc would have recommended the same thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"