2nd Trimester

Does anyone else feel this way?

I've been severely depressed since becoming pregnant. I'm 20 weeks today, and all I do is cry. Yes I know hormones have something to do with it but this is just not normal for me! I wish I could describe it better how I'm feeling but it's kinda indescribable besides saying I'm really depressed to the point everyone in my family has noticed it. Anyone else have this issue?

Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

• Not with this pregnancy but I think do with my first. Tell your dr. You don't have to feel that way there is medication u can take with minimal risk. All those depressed feelings are not good for u or the baby.
  • I didn't know I could take anything for it being pregnant. Thank you I'll talk to my doctor about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • You can take stuff but you want to deal with this now if your having that hard of a time with it before the baby comes for ppd.

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Definitely get help. There are medications you can take that are category C, but the results are worth the minimal risks.

As a live example- I've been on Prozac for depression and anxiety for two years. It's not ideal, and if I thought I could manage without it- I would. But without the help of the medication I spend most of my days in bed, crying, and hiding from the world- or scared witless that I'm going to lose this baby like I've lost the others. It's not healthy to live in a state of constant fear and depression- for you or for the baby.

In a perfect world we would only eat perfect organic foods and breathe clean air, and give our babies the best head start possible. Reality says that moderation is key in everything. Coffee, sushi, soft serve, even in medications. My asthma medication is Class C. I take it as needed though because if I'm not breathing- neither is my baby. Same deal with meds for depression. If I'm barely capable of functioning because of depression, if I'm constantly flooded with negativity and doubt- I'm not giving my baby my best. I'm not getting sunshine and exercise- I'm not eating healthily- I'm not taking care of myself as well as I should. And all of that is a risk to your baby that should be weighed against the risk of a category C medication. Don't hold back with your doctor though. If you say you're just a little sad or just a little anxious- and that you can probably manage- then your doctor will weigh the risk by what you tell him. If you're upfront and honest and tell him that your depression is seriously impacting your life- then you can get the help you need.
    Friends for 17 years. Married 10. TTC since Jan 2009.
    3 IVFs, 4 FETs, 11 transferred embryos, 3 losses (c/p, 6w, 17w)
    2012: Lost "Peanut" at 17weeks to PTL/IC.
     Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    2013: IVF#3/FET#4  Elisabeth CJ born April 30, 2014
    Cerclage, P17, and 3 months of bed rest brought us our Rainbow.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
     Dum spiro, spero.
  • I had depression before I got pregnant and have continued my meds per my doctor. I take Celexa 20mg. It also helps with anxiety. They told me depression and anxiety left untreated is more harmful to the baby than taking certain medications. Mine is such a low dose that they didn't want me to get off of it. Def talk to your doctor!
  • I was having a really hard time with my pregnancy so i looked in to depression in pregnancy and some stats I read we're 1 in 10!
    There really should be more awareness/screening for it

Sorry you're feeling this way but congrats to you for taking a big step in recognizing it

If you're not comfortable with medications there's cognitive therapies (talk therapy)

Talk to your dr or midwife

All the best to you
  • yes. i got blue from weeks 8-16 with both pregnancies,,, and this one is just lifting now, nearly 14 weeks but still not fully lifted.
    for me it is an empty feeling of meaninglessness, worthlessness, bored, unmotivated, "bad" at living, no interest in anything, not even things like a TV show i usually love. 
    i dont work out & dont care, i feel like im a bad mom, i cry often and try to cry all day hoping it will release cortisone so i may feel better the next day but rarely does it help. i am dependent on my husband "being around" even though i dont care if he is around or not. it is just awful.
    you are not alone.
    i wanted to get rid of my dog and start working and get away from my overwhelming days at home with my kids yet i never even left when i had the opportunity.
    it is a really dark place but i did not feel like harming myself or my baby so if you are, call you doctor now.
    my doctor advised that if my depression doesnt lift before a month (because i know mine usually gets better by 16 weeks) that i call them right up and be sure to address this. at 20 weeks i suggest you do the same. my friend got more & more depressed during pregnancy and started a medication around 20 weeks and it helped her alot but i know she remembers how rough it was. 

i also has post partum depression with anxiety and it felt similar but with a ton of anxiety. helpless. i took zoloft and it helped but that was after my second was born but i know there is medication for during pregnancy. i hope whatever you do works quickly.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"