March 2014 Moms
Options

Importance of Sibling Names

edited November 2013 in March 2014 Moms
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: Importance of Sibling Names

• Options
    No it doesn't matter to me. I come from 5 mismatched names. I was the only one not from the Bible and that kind of bothered me. Felt like my parents did it on purpose even though they had just run out of girl names. I'm the black sheep for sure. However we have picked all southern traditional names for our girls so they do go together. But that wasn't on purpose since we used grandmothers names.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Not one little bit.
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't see it as a big deal.  I mean, as older kids and adults it doesn't really matter if their name matches their siblings!
    imageimage 
  • Options
    I don't think they should "match" exactly, but in thinking of a name for baby boy #2, I did kind of want it to fit/flow with DS's name. (And we will have a David and a Michael, I think they go pretty well together ;))  

I only notice it if other children's names really don't go well.....say you had a Mary, Sarah, and Petunia.  That would be weird to me.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    CMLand05CMLand05 member
    edited November 2013
    So what names do you have and what are you looking to add? I think it doesn't matter at all. Just more curious as to what names people are freakin out over.
  • Options
  • Options
    We have a "style" that isn't really a style so I think they'll naturally sound good together. We like normal names we haven't heard in a while/don't really know anyone with that name. DD is Kelsey, I only knew one growing up and I still don't know any really. There's one mom on my last BMB with a slightly different spelling of it.

For DS, we can't seem to agree but I like Evan. I can think of one Evan in my high school, and DH said he didn't really know any, either. I haven't heard many Evans on the playground. So that's my vote. DH likes Ethan, which is trendy now but I don't know any lol.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    It matters to me but only because DS has a very unusual name. I mean it would be a bit weird if I named my kids zephyr and Kate or something. We have chosen seraphina as its not overly common and I think it fits as it has the ph in it too.
    My SIL called her first girl ruby then her second Zoe. When Zoe was first born I was like - they don't match at all but of course they do now. I felt Zoe was far more modern than ruby- but I could be wrong- I haven't actually looked into the background Zoe.
  • Options
    I prefer it, but I'm a big name nerd.
    photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I don't care if they match or don't match. If they did, cool. But they don't and I'm ok with that. I'm not going to go searching for a name that will work well with Owen. We like the name Julia, so we're going with that.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    I picked names that flow together a way that when yelling for them wouldn't trip me up :P

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    My three siblings names all start with the same letter, and mine starts with a different letter. It was completely unintentional, and I didn't even notice til I was older and people started asking about it! So, no, I don't think it matters.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I don't care too much but other people certainly do!
    My DD1 is Cambria and we were considering Lucy for DD2 and everyone said "Really? Isn't that kid of boring to go with Cambria?"
    Well, we're over Lucy now and we are going with something a little more unique, Wilhelmina. Not for anyone else though.
  • Options
    They won't be introduced as a subset for life. They are individuals for most of their lives, so as long as they don't rhyme, or cant flow with Mix Master YOLO, it's nbd!
    BFP#1 11/10* DS Born via Cesarean 7/11* BFP#2 EDD 1/31/14 *M/C 6/13* BFP #3 RCS 3/14/14
    Brothers!
    "I wish that I could bake a cake, made out of rainbows and smiles. And we would all eat it and be happy." 
  • Options
    KariB509 said:

I don't care if they match or don't match. If they did, cool. But they don't and I'm ok with that. I'm not going to go searching for a name that will work well with Owen. We like the name Julia, so we're going with that.

@karib509 I think they sound great together!

We didn't really consider DD's name when picking the name of this LO. Unfortunately they are both going to start with the same letter, which I'm not really a fan of, but it's the only boy name we could agree on.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    It doesn't matter to me. My stepdaughter is Lillian (Lilly) and my LO is going to be Abigail (Abby)...aside from the nicknames both ending in "y", they have nothing in common. I think it's a personal preference thing.

• Options
    It matters to me but not too much. My daughter's name is Carys and we really liked the Boy name Rhys but thought they were too similar. We also
    Likes the name London but Carys sounds like Paris And to have kids named Paris and London was too much. I think I over think things lol. Luckily we are having a girl again so we wi now have a Carys and everly :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think it can be cute, but it certainly not mandatory.

Our daughter is Courtney Oliva and we are expecting a boy this time.

Our short list includes
    Jaxson
    Maxwell
    Connor

My hubby thinks Conner and Courtney is too matchy, and I think I kind of agree... would have been cute if they were twins :). But who knows only time will tell!
    imageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options
    SmittyPantsSmittyPants member
    edited November 2013
    I don't think it matters too much. DD is Maeve, which is somewhat unusual and we're going with James for this one which is not unusual. They have a similar sound which I'm not crazy about but we're naming this guy after my FIL so that can't really be helped. Plus, like PPs said, they're individuals and won't introduce themselves as, "Hi, my name is John. I'm 34 and my sister's name is Apple Seed Starlight Fart".
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Even if it matters now to some people and to some degree, as soon as they are adults it won't. My brother and I have complimentary names, but if we didn't who would be the wiser? Only the handful of family members and close family friends that know us both. As @Rad&Co said (hilariously), as long as they're not crazy different, it really shouldn't matter.
  • Options
    My sister and I have names that start and end with the same sounds and my parents openly admit they regret that (lots of yelling at the wrong kid) so my husband and I will be making sure our kids names are not too matchy
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
  • Options
    hajj there are so many good names coming out of this post for my list!
    I'm hoping for B/G twins so I can use Mix Master YOLO and Apple Seed Starlight Fart...unless ya'll think 4 names is too much for a little girl????

Ahhhh tooany decisions!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic&nImage and video hosting by TinyPic bsp;center;"
    >Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I definitely like the names to flow. I'm no fan of completely different sounding names but that's just me. My grandparents have 9kids & I always think how my mom aunts & uncles got their names bc they're all so different but it just goes. Plus with that many kids you'd probably run out of names lol
  • Options
    I like the names to flow when they're introduced together, but that's mainly for my benefit. 
    image image
    D: Born 7.14.11
    Baby #2: BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
    O: Born 3.2.14 (med-free!)
  • Options
  • Options
    @katykatykaty, thanks!  They don't rhyme and aren't "sing-songy" though.  But I like them!
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    I think once you discover your naming style most any names you both like will go well together.  
  • Options
    I never understood the sibset obsession.  I get it slightly more for multiples.

DD - Lucia Alessandra 6/18/12  ~~~  Welcoming Baby Boy!! - 3/26/14

• Options
    Doesn't matter to me at all. My kids will grow up and lead their own lives. It's not like they'll be introduced all together forever.
    Bubba, born Jan. 2007 * Sissy, born Apr. 2009 * Baby Sister, born Feb. 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"