Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Puke or spit up?

My 6 week old for the last two days spits up an extreme amount every time she eats. Usually right after. She EBF and this happens when she's takes the breast. The bottle she's seems fine, so it's not improperly handled or stored milk that's an issue. It's thicker then normal spit up. Like chunky. It kind of reminds me of spoiled milk. And there's a lot of it. A few table spoons worth. We went through 3 outfits this morning. In just 5 minutes. I keep her upright after eating to avoid reflux. Her poops have also been dry and sticky instead of liquidy and seedy. And green instead of yellow. Sometimes not a lot sometimes blown out.

Could it be because I haven't been drinking enough water? She doesn't have a fever. 98.6 every time i check using both temperal and under arm.
Anyone know if this is normal? It's not normal for my baby. But I'm just not sure if I should be concerned.

Re: Puke or spit up?

• I thought is gotten my supply under control :( I guess I'll keep pumping before feeding to slow things down.
  • With regard to the poop issue...  Our resident BF'ing expert had this to say on the color\consistency change: 
    Kfran84 said:
    @AmyG* My LO's poops have turned from the lovely yellow, seedy poops to a greener watery consistency. My understanding is this is a foremilk imbalance. Any tips on helping him get more hindmilk? Will squeezing/massaging the breast as he feeds help? I will say our nighttime feeds have been a little shorter than they probably should be, maybe around 10 minutes, and I feel now that I should try to keep him on for more like 20 min so he can really drain that boob.

Breast compressions and massage helps to loosen the fat that sticks to the walls of the ducts so it enters milk faster can help.

making sure baby finishes side #1 as long as they want on that side, even if you have to burp in the middle also helps to get more hindmilk rather than switching sides at some given time.

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Zulixx said:
    I thought is gotten my supply under control :( I guess I'll keep pumping before feeding to slow things down.
    The pump might be making your oversupply worse.  Whenever my overactive letdown is really bad, I'll let DS latch then take him off when I feel my letdown.  I hold up a burp rag to catch the spray and wait until it slows down to re-latch him.  DS sometimes gets mad but it's better than dealing with the choking and spitting up.  If your LO won't latch, then I would just hand express to get that initial letdown then catch in a burp rag (or bottle if you want to save it).  The pump is signalling to your body that you need to make more than what your LO will eat.
    What about nursing on a recline?
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I've made significant progress with just reclining to feed and the breast compressions.

I would be cautious about pumping before feeding also as that could prolong the oversupply problem.

My LO's spit up today was chunky too. He's EBF. I wasn't too worried about it, but it was much less than you described.

Check the Oct or Nov birth month boards for the breast feeding threads. They are a wealth of info and many of us are dealing with oversupply issues too. Good luck!

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well of stopped pumping before feedingd and that's when this spit up issue started happening. I try to nurse in a reclined position but she doesn't always cooperate. She will pop off the second I'm leaned back more.

I knew green poop was a sign of hind milk fore milk imbalance but it's no longer the frothy green. It's dry and sticks to her behind. And it's hard to get off. The meconium was easier to wipe off.

I've also tried hand expressing instead of pumping to get a let down but at nights I'm finding my boobs run out and she's still hungry. She cluster feeds from 830 to midnight.five to ten minute breaks between sessions.
  • Zulixx said:

My 6 week old for the last two days spits up an extreme amount every time she eats. Usually right after. She EBF and this happens when she's takes the breast. The bottle she's seems fine, so it's not improperly handled or stored milk that's an issue. It's thicker then normal spit up. Like chunky. It kind of reminds me of spoiled milk. And there's a lot of it. A few table spoons worth. We went through 3 outfits this morning. In just 5 minutes. I keep her upright after eating to avoid reflux. Her poops have also been dry and sticky instead of liquidy and seedy. And green instead of yellow. Sometimes not a lot sometimes blown out.

Could it be because I haven't been drinking enough water? She doesn't have a fever. 98.6 every time i check using both temperal and under arm.
    Anyone know if this is normal? It's not normal for my baby. But I'm just not sure if I should be concerned.

I'm experiencing the exact same thing with my DD. She's 6 weeks today and has recently (last few days) been spitting up A LOT after each feeding (EBF). She also fusses and pulls off my breast continually, while nursing. As AFwifelife mentioned, it is most likely an oversupply issue and the link she provided is very informative (describes my issue perfectly). We aren't having the poop problem, just nursing. I suggest researching oversupply or over active let down (OALD) issues. GL, I know how stressful it can be!!
  • Well had researched that in the beginning. I had to pump early on because of severe engorgement and being away from her early on. I got 20 ounces from one breast in one day. On top of her nursing. I only get 5 extra ounces a day now and I pump a lot less. I be pumping more soon because I'm going back to work. I feel so bad for her. It's like my breasts and milk are bad for her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"