3rd Trimester
Options

Dilation and Cervix changes

I am almost 36 weeks and had my last check up last week where my cervix was checked. My doctor said that my cervix was low (kind of surprised tone) and that I was a tiny bit effaced but no dilation.  After that, my husband and I had intercourse a couple nights afterwards and he swore he could feel something. I was confused so I washed my hands and put on gloves to see what he was talking about and sure enough my cervix felt super low and this time I felt a line like deal with an opening and I quickly got freaked out and realized I was starting to dilate. This is my first pregnancy so I’m not sure if my questions are silly but should I let my doctor know I am dilated? I get frequent contractions every day mostly irregular but am getting more and more “crampy” every day. Also, what does it mean when my cervix is low?  She said the baby’s head was resting on my pelvis and head down and that he can only go further down from here. She also felt his head. Will my cervix get even lower? Or will it stay as low as it is now?  I can’t find any threads about a low cervix. I just have a feeling I will go into labor early so I am really paying attention to my body and looking for some answers. Any positive/helpful feedback would be great!

Re: Dilation and Cervix changes

• Options

Do you know what your cervix normally feels like?  Like did you check it regularly while ttc or anything? 

You don't need to call your doctor though, if you are dilated that's fine, if not that's okay too.  It really means absolutely nothing either way.  I have no idea where your cervix is now so I can't say how low it will get.  Mine generally gets pretty low as my pregnancies progress but it is all relative to what your normal cervical position is.  Some women's cervix is always on the low side. Some their cervix stays pretty high.  Just remember that cervical changes really don't mean a thing in terms of when you will go into labor.  Just trust your body will do what it is supposed to do at the right time.

• Options
    It sounds like you are totally fine to me! Relax, mama! A low cervix is nothing to worry about at all--it just means you are not very effaced yet. I have been 1 cm dilated since at least 26 weeks (probably earlier) with no changes. Dilation itself doesn't mean much other than you will eventually give birth! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think you're really getting yourself worked up for no reason. This link should help you be a little more informed. A good quote from it is "Labor is not simply about a cervix that has dilated, softened or anything else. A woman can be very dilated and not have her baby before her due dateor even near her due date."
    imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Generally speaking, once a woman gets to 36 weeks, labor will not be stopped when it starts. Your practitioner may be different. I think you're fine, honestly. Crampiness is normal at this stage. Cervical position also changes during pregnancy, especially in the last weeks before baby comes. It all sounds very normal to me, and I don't think you need to tell your doctor until your next appt. which will likely be within a week or so.
  • Options
    I am 36 weeks, 3 cm dilated and 75% effaced but my doctor says there is no reason to call her until my water breaks or I start having regular contractions.
  • Options
    I was dilated 2 cm around 36 weeks then only progressed to 3cm by my due date... I think you're fine! Its normal to dilate before your dd! I wouldn't be concerned if your Dr isn't whenever you have another appt of course. Good luck!
  • Options
    Are you guys all from the states? Here in the uk our midwives don't do internal examinations at 36 weeks- which is a pain as I'd love to see how I'm progressing "in there"! I am 37+1 and baby is 4/5 engaged, my second pregnant, and c section is booked in exactly 2 weeks xx
  • Options
    U are fine ;) I had my lo at 36 weeks and hes a healthy boy wad 7lbs when he wad born ... I was 4cm dilated for a month before I had him ... dont stress they say u are full term at 37 weeks .. just relax and enjoy the quiet time because when baby comes there wont be much of that lol
  • Options
    I've been 75% effaced and 2cm dilated since 28 weeks. I don't think it means much. Sorry
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"