Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

how to tweak LO's nap schedule for road trip?

My side of the family lives 3 hrs away so we are always visiting. My problem is that even though its only a 3 hr drive, it makes DD sleep almost the entire way! Then when we get to my family's, she stays up until 12am! I have her on a good nap schedule because without it shes a serious grump. She wakes up at 9am, naps at 11am, 2nd nap at 2pm, and then bed at 9pm. We have to leave for our trip tomorrow at 3 or 4pm so she wouldve had her nap but im afraid she still might fall asleep. What should i do? Should i push her nap back, ahead? Or is this something i just cant help? Thanks!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: how to tweak LO's nap schedule for road trip?

• In my experience, don't try to control the whole nap thing. I drive 2 hours to see my parents a lot so I've dealt with this with DS and DD and I've figured out that the more I try to manipulate the times, etc. it just ends up worse. Just leave when you need to and go with the flow.

• If I were you, I'd try to leave at or close to 2 so she can just nap in the car at her regular time.  For a trip that long, you'll probably want her to sleep some of it.
  • Loading the player...
  • If I can schedule the time I leave on a trip, I usually like to leave about an hour before DD would normally have a nap.   I'll sit in the back and play with her or read some books to her and she'll fall asleep after a bit.  It's much better if she naps during a road trip.  If she doesn't nap, she gets really frustrated being restrained in the carseat.

I think even if you had her awake in the car, she might not sleep that well...because she would have had all this time that she's not being active.  So, I think it's better to just let her sleep.  It's hard to keep the perfect schedule when you travel...so maybe just get some of your family to help watch her while she's up late.  They might be happy to have the quality time with her :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
  • Could you just leave at night, while she's sleeping anyway?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • If you could leave at 3pm why would you leave at 2 at her naptime and let her nap in the car?  And then if she wakes up sit in the back and play with her?
  • we are not able to leave at her nap time because DH gets off work at 2:30pm and is home by 3. we have no choice but to leave at least around 3:30 or 4 sadly :(
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • In that case, I would leave at night and let DD sleep in the car.
    This.  Or could you still throw DD in the car around 2 and pick your H up at work and start your trip from there? 

You could try keeping her up until you have to leave but I imagine that'll throw her day off more than her getting some extra sleep on top of her 2pm nap.  You could try stopping lots on the way to keep her awake and alert.  Good luck!
  • I would skip the morning nap and leave earlier. Then let her sleep in the car. Or what I do for my three hour trips is wait till bedtime and leave with kids in their pjs. They sleep for the trip and then both are back to sleep within an hour of arrival.
  • Hey, if my kid slept in until 9 a.m., I would be ok with her going to bed at midnight.  I'd go with putting your LO in the car and picking your DH up from work, then heading out on the trip.  Or leave around bedtime.  I don't try too hard to plan this kind of stuff.  Travel always screws kids up, anyway. 
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • In this case, I would skip the morning nap altogether.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"