Stay at Home Moms
Options

My kid screams...advice

So L is 2 and I'm aware that kids scream. But it's all the time and ear piercing and gets DH's family (who we are spending the week with) really annoyed, which in turn really annoys me. The stupid part is that they have a 6 yo and 4 yo who both get loud as well, not to mention they were both once 2 and did this. Although when I jokingly told SIL "Tell me your boys screamed like this when they were 2." She very non-jokingly said, "No, they didn't." She's remembering something totally different. He screams when he's excited, he screams when he's angry, he screams when he doesn't get his way. Right now we are just telling him, "It's time to use an inside voice." Or just whispering to him to get his attention/to get him to whisper. When it's because he's not getting his way, we ignore it until he's calm and then follow through with the original instruction. I just really need him to quit screaming so that I quit getting judged. 

Also I need a vacation from my vacation. But that's a whole other thing. 
Because you're mine, I walk the line....
Landry Mark: 11/5/11
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: My kid screams...advice

• Options
    Ugh, I've got a friend like that. I don't hang out with her anymore, she's delusional. And if I had to spend a week with someone like that...boy, I'd be drinking.
  • Options
    You're not doing anything wrong. You have a 2 yr old. I think it's feeling especially hard bc your SIL is acting like a jerk.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I honestly don't think there's anything you can do at this age to get him to just quit that. Of course I would continue encouraging and modeling an inside voice, but that's only going to go so far with a 2 year old. I would be ticked off getting judged for that too, but people like that aren't going to stop judging when the screaming stops, they're just going to find something else to judge you for. I'm sorry you have to spend any time with them.

If you make it through the week without telling them off, consider me impressed.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options
    This week always seems to bring out the worst in them. Or maybe it's that we spend a lot more time with everyone than usual this week. I don't know. I even tried to take a couple of hours this morning to hang out at home and relax, but H texted me to tell me they were getting attitude because I wasn't spending time with the Uncle who is here for the only time all year. Although when I am over there, SIL gets mad if anyone tries to do anything with the Uncle that does not include her. It's all ridiculous. But I still want my kid to quit screaming.
    Because you're mine, I walk the line....
    Landry Mark: 11/5/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Whenever we are around family my DS, who is 3, always seems to ramp up his behavior, whether it's yelling, running, being more physical, etc. Some things we have to just ignore since he's trying to get our attention. If he's screaming that he wants something we say something like "when you use a nice calm voice we can listen to you." Don't let him see that it bothers you or anyone else. Also, as soon as we get DS outside he mellows out. As for your SIL, I'm sure her kids had some annoying behaviors, she has just blocked it out of her memory,
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I hate the feeling of being judged. I am sorry you have to deal with that. Even if my kid never screamed if I was your SIL and you asked me, I would have said "yes, it's a tough age". What a wench.
  • Options

I always wonder when people comment about kids making noise.  What exactly is it they think you can do to stop it?  Don't they think if you could control his yelling you would? You'd control her bitchy comments too if you had control over someone else's voice box.  At least family time will be over soon.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    So, your SIL acts pissy when DS is there making noise AND when you aren't there. Lovely.... There is no way I would make it through your week.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"