Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

whole milk

edited November 2013 in Babies: 9 - 12 Months
i know this has been brought up times before. but i want clarification on it. DS just turned 11 months old a few days ago. For those momma's who switched from formula/bm to whole milk how did you do it? i've heard a few different ways but don't remember them too clearly! :) 

Also, DS can drink out of his Nuk Active Cup sippy perfectly fine and has for awhile. He doesn't really have a interest in the straw cups but we still try every now and then. But I was also wondering when yall switched from bottles to sippy cups. I know if i was to stop bottles all together and just give him sippys he wouldn't have a issue.

Thanks!

Re: whole milk

• Options
    I phased into it slowly. However, I know many moms who went cold turkey and was fine. I may do cold turkey this time or just phase more quickly than with my DD.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I actually just introduced whole milk to my DS today (he will be 1 on Saturday).  He drinks his formula from a bottle and water from any kind of sippy.  This morning I put whole milk in his sippy, he took a few sips and threw it to the floor.  A few hours later I tried the whole milk in his bottle and he drank it with no problem.  I will keep trying with the sippy, but I don't mind if we continue with the bottle.  I have 2 older kids and they both had the bottle past age one and we got rid of the bottle when they were ready.  Do what works for you and baby.  If your DC won't take the milk right away (whether it be bottle or cup), try doing part milk, part formula and then increasing the milk ratio until you have phased out the formula.
    Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kjsmith9kjsmith9 member
    edited November 2013
    DD turns one next week.  We'll do 75% breast milk and 25% whole milk the first week, 50/50 the second week, and 25/75 the third week.  I have just enough frozen milk to make it that long, and hopefully she does well and can move right into 100% whole milk by the end of December.

As far as the cups, we dropped bottles cold turkey last week and she didn't even bat an eye according to the daycare teacher.  She's been taking a straw cup without issue since 6 months, and we've been sending a straw cup for lunch since about 10 months (otherwise she still had bottles).  
  • Options
    I phased into it slowly. However, I know many moms who went cold turkey and was fine. I may do cold turkey this time or just phase more quickly than with my DD.
    what's the difference into phasing into it, and just cutting cold turkey. are there any advantages and disadvantages to cutting cold turkey?
  • Options
    Just wanted to say that with DD, I handed her a straw cup at 11 months and she took right to it. Then and there, I put away the bottles, and neither of us ever looked back. I say, if he isn't attached and can use a cup, ditch the bottles!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

what's the difference into phasing into it, and just cutting cold turkey. are there any advantages and disadvantages to cutting cold turkey?
    I'm going to give an example here. This is similar to switching a dogs food. Some dogs are fine with just going right to the new food and only a day or two of transitional weirdness (ie pooping or gas), some dogs need a few days if just increasing the amount of the new food mixed with old, and others needs 2-4 weeks to transition in very very slowly (were talking 1 week at 3/4 one and 1/4 of the other, ect). It all depends on the way they handle things. So, if your kid's been on say a sensitive formula for 9+ months then going full force into WCM might not be a good idea, but a baby on say regular Similac or Enfamil with very little gas issues could do perfectly fine cold turkey. I know for my son that we're doing goats milk right away since he has dairy issues. So we'll probably phase in, but quicker than the 3-4 week route.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I'm going to give an example here. This is similar to switching a dogs food. Some dogs are fine with just going right to the new food and only a day or two of transitional weirdness (ie pooping or gas), some dogs need a few days if just increasing the amount of the new food mixed with old, and others needs 2-4 weeks to transition in very very slowly (were talking 1 week at 3/4 one and 1/4 of the other, ect). It all depends on the way they handle things. So, if your kid's been on say a sensitive formula for 9+ months then going full force into WCM might not be a good idea, but a baby on say regular Similac or Enfamil with very little gas issues could do perfectly fine cold turkey. I know for my son that we're doing goats milk right away since he has dairy issues. So we'll probably phase in, but quicker than the 3-4 week route.
    oh okay, that makes it easier! thank you
  • Options
    Once DS turns one (in about two months), we'll use up whatever formula is left & then just give whole milk. And as for the sippy cups, DS just couldn't get used to regular sippy cups (he thinks holding his arms up to drink is for the birds), so we tried straw ones and it only took a day for him to get the hang of it. Compared to months trying the sippy cup that is!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"