Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

NTR: wedding ring issue

Just looking for opinions:
You finally take your wedding rings in to be sized and what ever else, (2 kids later does not fit) When you go to pick it up after being called saying it's ready, you get to the place and 1 band is not yours and the other set (engagement ring and band) is not sized?! You finally get an answer a week later as to where your 'lost' band is and some other customer has it. They are trying to get it back but said if needed would recreate the band. How would you feel about this? How would you handle it with the company?
A little more: my ring is a set then we got an extra band from another set just like it and of course they do not make that style anymore - thats why they would have to recreate one for me.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  

Re: NTR: wedding ring issue

• Options
    I'm not sure I'd trust them to recreate the band.  After getting past being furious about the whole situation, I'd ask for the $ to replace your band and go somewhere else to get it recreated.  They should have insurance to cover mistakes like this, so as long as it was appraised recently, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do that.

I also don't think I'd be having them do the resizing they didn't do the first time around on the other bands either at this point.
  • Options
    I'd be upset but not irate. My ring means very little to me. It's pretty, it was expensive, it has significance but DH and I have lost more important things. There are certain life events that have that effect on objects verses relationships. You still have your DH.

My husband has already bent his original band so bad that we've had to have it replaced because it cracked. So he isn't wearing the one we married with anyway. He was lucky he wasn't wearing a titanium ring or he might not have a finger. We used the gold from that ring to make a baby ring for DS.

I would push and push the company to rectify the situation as far as you feel necessary though. Could you and DH sit now with a jewelry artist and design a ring that has significance to you both? A new band you designed together with inscriptions, designs or stones maybe? Be adamant about what you expect them to do for you but don't be witchy about it. Even if it is their fault they are likely to go even further above and beyond replacement if you are firm but understanding.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow, I would be livid and would be contacting corporate and letting them know what happened and it is definitely unacceptable.  How does that even happen?  When I took my rings to get sized they double and triple check my information before they give me my rings.  They also check my paperwork and ID.  I would tell them that I will no longer do business with them and they need to pay for a replacement from another store.  I'm so sorry this happened to you.  It sounds like poor quality control on their part.  Which jewelry store was it?  
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Nicb13 said:
    I'd be PISSED! No, they cannot recreate it, they better get mine back and not make me pay for anything.
    absolutely this!

I'd take my rings and go elsewhere.

Have they gotten it back?
  • Options
    so far the info I have got was they have been trying to contact the other customer since last thursday. The store's repair shop has decided that if my ring is not returned they will recreate my 1 band - which means keeping my rings they do have in order to make me the band that was given to another person and will take another 2 weeks.
    I think I have decided at this point (maybe as a start) that they have until next wednesday (maybe thursday) to get my ring back or start making me one and also to add personalization on the inside of the ring (didn't have that before). Also to refund my payment for the sizing, etc. and that is as far as I can get for now as to what I want to do. BUT I just want MINE back. I know I still have my husband - married 6 years.
    And yes I am Catholic and the rings were blesses by a Bishop in the church.
    I know it's not the people in the store I went to - it's someone from the repair shop. I am trying to be calm about this but inside I am very angry/upset/irritated. I just don't know what else I can do, they are trying to make this right but ugh -

• Options
    Nicb13 said:

DawnLilly said:

I'd be upset but not irate. My ring means very little to me. It's pretty, it was expensive, it has significance but DH and I have lost more important things. There are certain life events that have that effect on objects verses relationships. You still have your DH.

My husband has already bent his original band so bad that we've had to have it replaced because it cracked. So he isn't wearing the one we married with anyway. He was lucky he wasn't wearing a titanium ring or he might not have a finger. We used the gold from that ring to make a baby ring for DS.

I would push and push the company to rectify the situation as far as you feel necessary though. Could you and DH sit now with a jewelry artist and design a ring that has significance to you both? A new band you designed together with inscriptions, designs or stones maybe? Be adamant about what you expect them to do for you but don't be witchy about it. Even if it is their fault they are likely to go even further above and beyond replacement if you are firm but understanding.

Having to replace a band or ring b/c it broke or was lost is totally different. I wouldn't be upset or mad in that situation. But for a jeweler to basically lose someone's wedding band? That is a freaking big deal, whether it's a $200 ring or a $1500 ring. In that case, no, I don't want a new ring. I want my ring b/c it isn't lost or broken. 

This. It's not about the money, although that would play a part in my anger, but it's the fact that they gave it to someone else and then said "oh, shit, we will just make you a new one". Why the hell can't they get it back??? And why hasn't the other person come forward and given it back?!

Oh no I wasn't saying it was about the money. It's that I don't have it in my character to add stress or anger to my life because of a really really bad mistake that is now out of my hands. What is in my hands is how I allow it to affect me. The person at the jeweler will beat themself up about their mistake and will probably lose their job. It does me no good to be angry with the next employee who is only trying to fix another's mistake. And the woman who took the ring and didn't say anything will have to deal with her own conscience and whatever karmic repercussions that come.

I would make the business rectify the situation as best as I felt necessary though and make sure they have really tried to locate my original band. After that I would make it very clear what I expect them to do for me. I was just expressing that I wouldn't want to allow the wrong doing of others to make me angry and upset about a physical object.
  • Options
    I'd push for an upgrade. Seriously. Bigger and better. With more bling.
  • Options
    That is completely unacceptable. Since it was 100% their mistake, they need to look up how much you paid for the ring and allow you get a replacement for the same price and on top of that,  a free upgrade. There is no excuse.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Options
    My mother took her engagement ring to a jeweler to be re-sized.  The owner of the store would take all of the jewelry into Philadelphia to have the repairs done (stupidly - alone and on the same route every week).  He was hi-jacked and my mother's engagement ring was stolen.  They recreated her ring to match her wedding band, but my mother was heartbroken about it.  A few years later, my father died and I think this situation still upsets her.  She never wears the recreated ring, which was the purpose of having it re-sized.  My point is, I think you should INSIST on rectification that won't leave you bitter.  Perhaps, if they truly gave it to another customer, there is grounds for police involvement?  I don't know that I would trust their "story" at this point.  They should also be showing you your diamond under a microscope when you pick up an engagement ring so you know that wasn't switched.  
  • Options
    I can't believe they are still working on this - trying to get my band back from another customer. I am tired of dealing with this but as they keep saying they are trying to do all they can. Really?!?! How about if the other person is not getting back with the store (and they know who has it) - KAY Jewelers - yes Kay, take legal action and bring them to court - wish I could and not cost me. As far as I know they are making me another band from the one still attached to my engagement ring and should be ready after next week -  I think. I need a time frame, more to be done. It's the sentimental value that bothers me a lot more. It would be nice to get a bracelet, necklace, earrings or something from this but I don't see that happening just like it looks as if I will never get my original band back. If I don't get somewhere soon, DH is going to have to take over handling this, I have too much other things to handle not waste my time on the phone with people - ugh. The pit of my stomach can only take so much garbage. Will never do business with them when again when I get my stuff back.

• Options
    I can't believe they are still working on this - trying to get my band back from another customer. I am tired of dealing with this but as they keep saying they are trying to do all they can. Really?!?! How about if the other person is not getting back with the store (and they know who has it) - KAY Jewelers - yes Kay, take legal action and bring them to court - wish I could and not cost me. As far as I know they are making me another band from the one still attached to my engagement ring and should be ready after next week -  I think. I need a time frame, more to be done. It's the sentimental value that bothers me a lot more. It would be nice to get a bracelet, necklace, earrings or something from this but I don't see that happening just like it looks as if I will never get my original band back. If I don't get somewhere soon, DH is going to have to take over handling this, I have too much other things to handle not waste my time on the phone with people - ugh. The pit of my stomach can only take so much garbage. Will never do business with them when again when I get my stuff back.

Hopefully you get your ring back. How frustrating. Please keep us updated!
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Wow I'm so sorry you're still dealing with this.  To me it's like if you took your car into the shop and they accidentally gave the keys to another customer.  At some point, it would seem like "the other customer" needs to be held responsible since the company is having no success in getting them to return the ring.  Would contacting the police and reporting it as stolen be a legitimate next step?  I have no clue when it comes to this kind of thing.
  • Options
    vamomtobe said:

Wow I'm so sorry you're still dealing with this.  To me it's like if you took your car into the shop and they accidentally gave the keys to another customer.  At some point, it would seem like "the other customer" needs to be held responsible since the company is having no success in getting them to return the ring.  Would contacting the police and reporting it as stolen be a legitimate next step?  I have no clue when it comes to this kind of thing.

I was just thinking this. The other customer cannot keep a ring that they know belongs to someone else. It may be time to file a police report. Also, keep an eye on Craigslist to make sure they don't try to unload it before you can get it back.
  • Options
    :( I'm really sorry this happened to you.
    Something similar happened to us when we bought our wedding rings from (heh, what do you know, also Kay's). We picked them out, decided we wanted them engraved, and they said they'd send them out and we could have them in 2 weeks. Two weeks later we go to pick them up, and they give us the wrong rings. The metal was different and one wasn't even engraved! They said they would fix it for us and it'd be right in another 2 weeks, we decided that we'd rather just get our money completely refunded and went to a local jeweler instead.

I hope you get your original ring back. Given how annoyed and upset I felt and those weren't even our worn wedding rings yet, I can imagine how upset you must be when these are your blessed rings! I wouldn't trust them to make it better though after you get your ring back, take it to a local jeweler that does everything in house.
  • Options
    I know I need to do something more I just don't know where else to turn. I have talked to a supervisor at the customer service I thought that was corporate (a number I got from a different Kay store). I don't have much money if I need to go a legal way with an attorney, and not sure what police I would contact, the city in which the store gave the ring out or my store I went to. I just feel lost at this point. I feel like I spend too much time getting the run around - oh we are trying blah blah. Well they have until Monday then I will be at the store taking something home

• Options
    I will have to re-read the repair slip but I am sure it says they will replace merchandise if anything happens to yours, lost or damaged - standard I believe. I think I just want my set back before I get too into raising hell. Which I should have my set back tuesday but not the other band.
    Thanks all for letting me rant about this.

• Options
    Nicb13 said:

Call the non-emergency police station closest to you and ask what you can do or what can be done in a situation like this. I wouldn't jump to pay a lawyer or anything yet. I'd start with the police.

ETA: did you sign any paperwork when you dropped the ring off? If so, do you have it and have you read it?

This.  If they can't help you they should be able to tell you who can.  Have you looked up Kay's corporate info online?  You can just google and get their address, phone #, CEO info and stuff like that.  I would be calling every number I could find and asking to speak with everyone's boss until I had an answer.  Good luck!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"