Toddlers: 24 Months+

nap time issues

My 18 month old has a HARD time going down for a nap.  Night time is great, but nap time not so much.  She crys and crys and crys.  Sometimes for over an hour.  But when she finally falls asleep it is for 2 -3 hours

Is this the way it is for a lot of kids?   Or do I just have a difficult one?  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: nap time issues

• I've never been able to just put DS down & walk away for naps or even nighttime...I'm still nursing, so I nurse him & rock him till he's asleep (usually 10-20 minutes) then I put him down & he'll nap for 11/2 - 2hours.  I've tried the putting him down & letting him cry it out & he actually never gets a nap, because he'll cry for 1-2 hours, so for us, this is the easiest!

I would maybe try to do some quieter activities before naptime, like coloring or reading or anything that's a routine, so then she knows naptime is next, then put her down & see if she does any better....good luck!

• My dd fights her nap as well. She wants someone to sleep with her at naptime as well which is frustrating.
    Mom to Zi born 8.30.07 and Zo born 8.12.09 and Zaid born 5.07.11
  • Loading the player...
  •  

Have you tried waiting a little longer for nap time, or having her do a physical activity before hand. Maybe put some music on or read to her.

• I always giver her a glass of milk and we go in her room and put on music and read books until she finishes her milk.  Then I put her in her crib.  Today she only cried for 15 minutes or so.  Yesterday was over an hour and I ended up going in and getting her and then later on going in and rocking her to sleep and rocking her for her nap. 
  • I agree with other posts to make sure she expends some energy and also push up the nap an hour.  Maybe she's not that tired yet? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"