Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

How cold is too cold to go outside?

I took my son outside yesterday to play for about 15 minutes, and with the windchill it was 7 degrees. He did fine, but when I brought him in his cheeks were freezing. I know at his daycare they take the kids out to play down to a windchill of 0 degrees. Any suggestions to keep his little cheeks warm other than a scarf which I think he would hate? At what temp do you not take your kids outside to play? Just trying to figure out what we will do for the long winter ahead. Thanks!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: How cold is too cold to go outside?

• Options
    I would think as long as they're happy, they're fine. I don't know a good way to keep cheeks warm, but I know my son's cheeks got red and chapped last winter from being outside so much, so this year I might try Vaseline before we go out.
  • Options
    I would think as long as they're happy, they're fine. I don't know a good way to keep cheeks warm, but I know my son's cheeks got red and chapped last winter from being outside so much, so this year I might try Vaseline before we go out.
    I agree...if he's feeling pain from the cold, he'll let you know.  If he seems happy, then he's okay.  Just make sure he's bundled.  Some skin is always going to be exposed - cheeks, around the eyes and it is normal for the cheeks to get a little red.  I would just keep the outdoor play time shorter when it's really cold.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DD (almost 5 years old) would go out happily in just about any temps. I'm in MI and it can get below zero with the wind chill. I try to get her out at least for a little bit each day, but I am a huge wimp when it comes to the cold & wind. For DS, he is miserable outside in the cold, mainly because he refuses to keep his hat & mittens on. He takes them off the second I put them on. So, we keep him in most days.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"