Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Toe Walking

DD has been walking for about a month and she walks on her toes all the time. I was just wondering if anyone has a toe walker, and if you have talked to your doctor about it yet and what they have said? Looking at Dr. Google, it very well could not be a big deal.

At DD's 1 year appointment, her pediatrician was concerned about clicking in her hips, so she was sent for xrays. The xrays came back slightly abnormal, so she was referred to a Orthopedist. He checked her out, heard the clicking, but said that it didn't seem like the hip was dislocating. The doctor said at the age of 1, there is a wide range of normal, so he told us to come back at the age of 2. Well, since that time, DD started walking and she is walking on her toes, so I called back and they want her to come back in. She has an appointment tomorrow, and I am praying that everything will be okay.

Re: Toe Walking

• Options
    Does she ever walk flat footed or has she only walked on her toes?  I would be concerned if she could not walk flat footed but I don't think walking on toes is abnormal for kids.  I walked on my toes A LOT as a kid.  It was even on my teacher reports in pre-school and kindergarten.  I outgrew it and have no issues.  I know that's not much help.  Good luck!
  • Options
    I work in peds ortho.  At this age, we just keep an eye on it.  She will probably outgrow it.  If she is being followed for her hips, I would just bring it up at that next appointment if its still a concern. 

Wickedly nice Step Mom to JJ since 5/2/09
    Born 7/26/01-- Adopted 3/6/02

Two and a Half Years, Too Many Treatments, One Precious Miracle
    Abby born 11/5/12 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD walks on her toes maybe 1/3 of the time. I think it's just a way of her figuring out what her body can do and it's never occurred to me to be concerned. If she never walked flat footed I would probably ask at her next pedi visit, just to be sure.

When I was growing up, though, my cousin almost always walked on his toes as a toddler. I'm not sure if he was ever evaluated by a dr about it, but he is now a very normal-walking adult. : )
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

LO is just starting walking (assisted), and she is a toe-walker, too.  She is a toe-stander, too.  I'm planning to ask at her 1-year appointment. So no info for you, but you aren't the only one!

• Options
    We saw the Ortho today. He said it's really a concern if they are just toe walking on one side. It could be a sign of hip dislocation or of cerebral palsy.  He noted that she will stand flat footed which is a good sign, and he was able to flex her foot back and forth with no issue which means it is not an issue with an achilles that is too short. He said it is most likely a habit thing. He told us to flex/stretch her achilles several times during the day to help keep it from tightening up from toe walking. We only need to come back in if she starts toe walking just on one side or if she is no longer able to flex the feet because the achilles gets too tight (hopefully the stretching will prevent that). So, no more Ortho appointments until she is 2! Yay!

• Options
    DD walks flat 90% of the time and she does occasionally walk on her tip toes. I just thought it was normal?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    DD walks flat 90% of the time and she does occasionally walk on her tip toes. I just thought it was normal?
    Walking some of the time on the toes testing things out might be normal. Walking 100% of the time on the toes is not normal.

• Options
    Nicb13 said:
    Good news OP :)
    definitely!  whew!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"