Working Moms

Return from Maternity Leave - Negotiating Advice

I am ashamed to admit it, but I have never really "negotiated" when taking a new job or promotion in the past. I had DD in September (DS is 8) and plan to return to work after the new year. My situation: I have a 45-60 min commute each way, work requires a firm 8-5 workday with little to no flexibility for hours or offering flex time, and my husband is military and will be coming and going for a few weeks at a time pretty frequently for the next several months. I am also working on my Masters Degree which I'm paying for myself but my company is very supportive of. I've been very honest with my boss that I can handle any of the above issues, but not all at once with two kids. She was very supportive and said she really wants me to stay on, even in a non-FT capacity. I'd been hoping to transition to a PT schedule (3 days in the office) when I go back. She just emailed me to say she can offer me 4 days a week in the office plus one working from home. Any tips on negotiating down to the 3 days a week? How best to approach? I feel wussy thinking I can't handle it all when I know many of you women do and so I am having a hard time feeling confident in this negotiating process. I'm also not sure how much I should stretch and try to take on to stay there by going back FT - other options would be to stay home and finish my Masters over the next year or so then look for a job in that field, or look for a PT job/contract work or new job closer to home before then.  Any advice is very much appreciated!
Mom to DS - 9/24/2005 Ectopic Pregnancy - 5/7/2012 Miscarriage - 12/13/2012. Mom to DD - 9/13/2013

Re: Return from Maternity Leave - Negotiating Advice

• First off, stop feeling bad or wimpy. You aren't. Military wives are rarely wimpy. Next, remember that both parties have wants and needs, so the way to get where you want to be is to get as many of both parties' wants and needs met as possible. They want to keep an already-trained employee. You want to not find a new job right now. So thank your boss for coming up with a proposal, and then start asking questions. Is a 3/2 schedule possible? Is there a chance for part-time? Any concerns they have about either of those arrangements that you can address for them? And start thinking about salary changes if you go to part-time. Also about benefits changes for part-time employees. Retirement match, time off, health insurance, etc. they may not be able to accommodate your needs, but it sounds like they're willing to try.
  • I agree with what the PP's have said especially @MommyAttyand would consider salary and benefit changes as a result of working PT.

I work PT and have worked both a 3-day and 4-day a week schedule.  The 3 day/week schedule was obviously easier when handling family responsibilities but I work a project-based job and it was really hard to jump back into my projects after a 4 day weekend.  I also WFH and I don't want you to discount the added benefits that comes from WFH.  Not only would your 45-60 min commute be gone but you'd have more time to do things such as - starting dinner, unloading dishwasher, changing over laundry, minor cleaning, etc.

If it were me, I would get back to your boss with 2 counter offers - a 3 day week at the office and a 4 day week with 2 WFH days.  It sounds like your boss is willing to work with you so I wouldn't be afraid to negotiate.  Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Loading the player...
  •  

If it were me, I would get back to your boss with 2 counter offers - a 3 day week at the office and a 4 day week with 2 WFH days.  It sounds like your boss is willing to work with you so I wouldn't be afraid to negotiate.  Good luck!

This exactly. Working from home can definitely help you balance things...simple things like throwing in laundry or getting dinner started...or driving kids to and from school. And then you can still be logged in/getting things done in the interim.
  • Thank you all for the great advice so far. I hadn't thought of negotiating in more hours with more work at home. That would help a lot. I am looking to not be at least 45min away from my kids every day, making it easier to use a lunch break to help at school or similar. And being able to pop dinner in the oven before 6:30 also helps a lot. I will have to visit the 401k issue, but all medical benefits are through DH so I have some flexibility there.
    Mom to DS - 9/24/2005 Ectopic Pregnancy - 5/7/2012 Miscarriage - 12/13/2012. Mom to DD - 9/13/2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"