Working Moms

NWMR: where would you deliver?

DD was born with a midwife, I had a water birth. Wonderful birth experience, to tearing, no IVs etc. The hospital where I had her (the only one around where I can have a midwife) is about 90 minutes away from where I live. I do have a midwife this time around so if I want to have a similar experience, I can have it but I have that looong drive and I'm in Canada so it's winter (read: possibly stormy, snowy, icey road conditions). What I liked about this birth experience is that I didn't tear and the water really helped with the pain.

Now there is a hospital in the town I live in as well, about 60 seconds away from my house. I could labour at home as long as I want in my bathtub if I want to labout in water, and drive to the hospital when I'm getting closer to the end rather than at the very start (I think the 90 minute drive stalled my labour last time as I had to be induced with the breastpump). DH could go home to sleep and bring DD to see baby without having her on the (potentially) bad roads. The doctors there are on rotation and are a little hit-and-miss which makes me nervous, plus I work with many of them.

So, WWYD? Mentally prepare to make a long drive to have the midwife/water-birth or mentally prepare to labour at home and deliver very close to home not knowing which Dr. you could have for the delivery?

Re: NWMR: where would you deliver?

• I would choose close to home, sounds like much less stress. Fwiw I had a tear and it wasn't bad at all.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • +1 more for close to home
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Close to home, especially since you also have a LO at home.
  • I would choose close to home. I got to the hospital which was right around the corner from my house at 6 cm. I showed up at 530 and DS was born at 9:02pm so it all happened very fast. I think thats the best/safest bet. I personally never would have been able to be in a car for 90 min. I couldnt even sit on the 30 second drive from my house to the hospital.
  • Yeah, I would be close to home. Can you midwife switch roles and act as a doula in the hospital if you really want her around?
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Actually this is a tough one for me.  I might choose the longer drive with a midwife I really like. 
  • How long was your labor last time? I had an hour drive to the hospital with DD and I nearly delivered in the car! And she was my first baby -- I've heard that second labors can be much quicker.

I think the place to ask this (if you haven't already) is the Natural Birth board. But if it were me, I would focus on what I could do to find out more about the hospital in your town and how to work within the rules and still have a natural birth. For starters, why won't you know the doctor delivering you? Can you have a doula? What's their policy on things like being able to push in whatever position you want and routine Pitocin?
  • djm31012 said:

I would choose close to home. I got to the hospital which was right around the corner from my house at 6 cm. I showed up at 530 and DS was born at 9:02pm so it all happened very fast. I think thats the best/safest bet. I personally never would have been able to be in a car for 90 min. I couldnt even sit on the 30 second drive from my house to the hospital.

Ha, that's nothing -- I showed up at 2:20 and DD was born at 2:36!
  • I would pick the place and staff I was most comfortable with.

The hospital we picked is further than others but we really liked the midwives and the highly rated NICU (which we needed the first time).

Then again I commute 90 each way to work so time might not phase me like it does others ;-)
  • I delivered in a hospital. The drugs are optional and LO's doctor showed up at the end to play catch. The nurse assigned to my room was there the entire time. Can you hire a doula (?) and build a relationship with that person for home and then at the hospital. I've seen plenty of people not make it to the hospital because of a winter storm. I wouldn't put my eggs in a 90min drive on a good day.
  • 100% the closer option.  Second labors can be quite a bit quicker than first labors so I wouldn't want to have to consider in a 90 minute drive even in perfect weather conditions.  Had that been me for second birth I would have been having my daughter in the car or on the side of the road.  And, at that point, I didn't care who was delivering the baby.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Nechie122 said:
    I would choose close to home. I got to the hospital which was right around the corner from my house at 6 cm. I showed up at 530 and DS was born at 9:02pm so it all happened very fast. I think thats the best/safest bet. I personally never would have been able to be in a car for 90 min. I couldnt even sit on the 30 second drive from my house to the hospital.
    Ha, that's nothing -- I showed up at 2:20 and DD was born at 2:36!
    What about this one... showed up at 12:47, DD was born at 12:51.  Labor started at 12:06 when my water broke, first contraction at 12:15! 

So, another vote for delivering close by.  With DD1, my water broke naturally at 1am, first contractions around 2am, DD was born at 9am.  With DD2, well, see above.  So the second was MUCH faster for me.  Even though it's 60 seconds away, you'll still need to account for care for DD1, get out of the house, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"